Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

It's not uncommon for a rookie QB to start as a backup.

Actually, for a 1st round pick the trend is the opposite.

Going back to 2008, the following QBs were taken in the first round:

2008 -- Flacco, Ryan (both started immediately)

2009 -- Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman (2/3)

2010 -- Bradford, Tebow (1/2)

2011 -- Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder (2/4)

2012 -- Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden (4/4)

That makes 11/15 in the past five years who started with Game 1 of their NFL careers, and two of those who didn't start immediately were starting within 5-6 weeks (Freeman, Ponder).

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, for a 1st round pick the trend is the opposite.

Going back to 2008, the following QBs were taken in the first round:

2008 -- Flacco, Ryan (both started immediately)

2009 -- Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman (2/3)

2010 -- Bradford, Tebow (1/2)

2011 -- Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder (2/4)

2012 -- Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden (4/4)

That makes 11/15 in the past five years who started with Game 1 of their NFL careers, and two of those who didn't start immediately were starting within 5-6 weeks (Freeman, Ponder).

What about 2nd-4th rounders? Isn't EJ ranked somewhere below first round, but the Bills needed to get a guy so took the one they wanted with their first pick?

But yes, you are right, it's more likely for a first round QB to start than not in recent years. Do you remember how many of those were handed the reigns right out of the gate? Or did they have to earn it in Training Camp/Preseason? (I'm under the impression that EJ is going through the latter)

What about 2nd-4th rounders? Isn't EJ ranked somewhere below first round, but the Bills needed to get a guy so took the one they wanted with their first pick?

First round is first round. Manuel being taken in the first is no different than looking at guys like Ponder, Gabbert, Flacco, Freeman, Locker, Tannehill, or Weeden -- none of those guys were "consensus" first round talents in the years they were drafted.

But yes, you are right, it's more likely for a first round QB to start than not in recent years. Do you remember how many of those were handed the reigns right out of the gate? Or did they have to earn it in Training Camp/Preseason? (I'm under the impression that EJ is going through the latter)

I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree EJ will go through a typical "competition" in training camp and will have to show he deserves the job.

Doug Marrone: E.J. Manuel is ahead of any rookie QB I’ve seen: http://profootballta...ie-qb-ive-seen/

Yep. And he intimated that during his Wednesday interview:

Yesterday in his interview on BB.com, Marrone was asked whether Kolb was ahead of the other QBs in picking up the offense.

In very short order Marrone turned the question into an opportunity to praise EJ on how quickly he's picking things up as a rookie.

This was yesterday following the session where EJ had fewer snaps than Kolb and Jackson.

BTW, kudos for showing restraint CornerBlitz but this almost deserves its own thread (and I know you considered that).

God I hope he is ahead of Brooks Bollinger at any point of Bollingers career....

Well let's see, Marrone played for the Dolphins in 1987 and the Saints in 1989.

He then coached with the Jets from 2002-2005 before coaching with the Saints from 2006-2008.

So that's 9 seasons in the NFL.

Well let's see, Marrone played for the Dolphins in 1987 and the Saints in 1989.

He then coached with the Jets from 2002-2005 before coaching with the Saints from 2006-2008.

So that's 9 seasons in the NFL.

I might add that it's an all encompassing comparison that includes the mental capacity to absorb the offense. Very important factor.

why draw distinction at round one? if you do it say, top 12, it probably works out the other way. lots of those guys were #1, #2, #3, or #5... some 10 or 12. Freeman, Tebow, Weeden were the only ones picked after 12; 2 didn't start right away, and the one who did was 28 y.o. with a less viable backup.

why draw distinction at round one? if you do it say, top 12, it probably works out the other way. lots of those guys were #1, #2, #3, or #5... some 10 or 12. Freeman, Tebow, Weeden were the only ones picked after 12; 2 didn't start right away, and the one who did was 28 y.o. with a less viable backup.

What posts are you replying to?

Do you realize where you are, and to whom you are asking this? :lol:

Perspective: I just spent 30 minutes listening to a guy who knows patio awnings, defining what exactly is wrong with the one they installed at the bar I was at.

Now, if I can do that, then, we should all be able to have a little more patience with posters, right? Wrong. This is a message board, and though it has a relatively high reputation for being reasoned and knowledgeable: it's still a message board. My patience, and yours as well, is irrelevant. Here's why:

There are going to be posters, no different than in politics, who make a decision to support/decry EJM. The posters who end up being wrong, empirically, will end up defending their position no matter what. You are asking for people, who are already psychologically committed to EJM being a horrible draft pick...to have perspective?

:lol:

We live in a world today, since 2000, where dignity, and especially, honor, no longer exist for most people. Where their heroes turn out to be incompetent buffoons, but they defend them, only because they never bothered to actually find out who they really were in the first place, and now they'd rather eat the crap, than admit they were wrong.

My uncle swore up and down that Ryan Miller was horrible, the season before he won the Vezina. Oops. :lol: This is because he had committed himself to Biron being the better choice 2 years prior. So, as things got worse for him, he decided to push all in, and hope that he was vindicated. FAIL.

The difference between my uncle and most people? He admitted to us that he was wrong. It took a lot but in the end he did the right thing.

You could have just said "no".

Doug Marrone: E.J. Manuel is ahead of any rookie QB I’ve seen: http://profootballta...ie-qb-ive-seen/

Nice to hear! :thumbsup:

Bad quote by the writer. First, the writer says, "ahead of any rookie quarterback I've seen", but then the quote he gives is, “E.J. Manuel has done better [as a rookie] than any of the other organizations I’ve been a part of.

So he leaves off quarterback and adds in the word rookie. So was Marrone talking about any rookie? Well, actually it was neither.

What was actually said was, "...from my standpoint, EJ along with Jeff Tuel...have done better in my experience, I can't speak for anyone else, than any other young quarterback that we've brought in in any of the organizations I've been involved with within the NFL."

So for starters, the comment wasn't even specific to EJ, and while he was referring to quarterbacks, he didn't say "rookie", he just said "young".

I will also add that Marrone picked his wording very carefully when he said it. Of course it doesn't mean much, but I think it was at very least an honest comment, not just blowing smoke.