Mario Williams #72 on the NFL top 100

I have a question.

Are these the rankings of the players this past season? Or is what they are predicting them this season?

Upcoming, but it's supposed to be based mostly on last year's performance. Peyton's injury dropped him from #2 to #50 last year, but I'm sure he's made his way back to the top 10.

For the cheap price of $100mil... :lol:

You have to keep in mind that at least $50M of that is essentially a penalty for drafting defensive backs and running backs in the first round for most of the past 25 years. It's going in Mario's pocket, but the penalty had to be paid somewhere so it really matters not who gets it.

Actually, the $50M might all be directly chargeable to just drafting Whitner instead of Ngata. That is why the draft is so utterly important to a franchise like Buffalo and it's why they really can't afford to use the draft to patch holes. If you get your franchise players on draft day you don't have to buy them on the open market.

The key players in the NFL over the last 25 years are as follows: Quarterback, DE and LT.

The Bills have successfully drafted exactly zero QB's, 1 DE(Aaron Schobel) and zero LT's over that period. That could change with Cordy Glenn and EJ Manuel, but those picks are just within the last two seasons.

That doesn't account for Phil Hansen at DE but I saw every snap of Phil's NFL career and though he was very solid, aside from a maybe couple year "prime" period he was not a pro bowl type player. It's possible that we Bills fans owe Victor Conte a debt of gratitude for those years. :D

It also doesn't account for Jason Peters,,,,,the only All Pro the Bills have acquired over that period....but he was not drafted.

Back to the point....if Mario just plays as well as he did last year it will have been a tremendously successful signing for the team. I think it is unlikely that he will because his past history include a lot of injuries but he actually played lights-out once he had that procedure on his wrist.

These top 100 shows are over produced junk IMO. Glad I have a DVR to skip much of the fluff.

I think that maybe the top 10 players in the league is worthy of debate but once you get past that it is pointless to try to compare that many apples and oranges.

Mario could end up getting tons of press on the NFL network, Sirius, ESPN, etc. He had most of his sacks after the surgery so when healthy could be a 20 sack year for him in the way Pettine uses him. The best thing we did this off season was hire him. He'll get the most out of these guys.

You have to keep in mind that at least $50M of that is essentially a penalty for drafting defensive backs and running backs in the first round for most of the past 25 years. It's going in Mario's pocket, but the penalty had to be paid somewhere so it really matters not who gets it.

Actually, the $50M might all be directly chargeable to just drafting Whitner instead of Ngata. That is why the draft is so utterly important to a franchise like Buffalo and it's why they really can't afford to use the draft to patch holes. If you get your franchise players on draft day you don't have to buy them on the open market.

The key players in the NFL over the last 25 years are as follows: Quarterback, DE and LT.

The Bills have successfully drafted exactly zero QB's, 1 DE(Aaron Schobel) and zero LT's over that period. That could change with Cordy Glenn and EJ Manuel, but those picks are just within the last two seasons.

That doesn't account for Phil Hansen at DE but I saw every snap of Phil's NFL career and though he was very solid, aside from a maybe couple year "prime" period he was not a pro bowl type player. It's possible that we Bills fans owe Victor Conte a debt of gratitude for those years. :D

It also doesn't account for Jason Peters,,,,,the only All Pro the Bills have acquired over that period....but he was not drafted.

Back to the point....if Mario just plays as well as he did last year it will have been a tremendously successful signing for the team. I think it is unlikely that he will because his past history include a lot of injuries but he actually played lights-out once he had that procedure on his wrist.

I think that maybe the top 10 players in the league is worthy of debate but once you get past that it is pointless to try to compare that many apples and oranges.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. The biggest problem this franchise has faced over its history has been from incorrectly prioritizing basic football positions.

However, with regards to Ngata vs Mario Williams and the Bills' Drafting... the Ravens had to spend $61million to keep Ngata, with about $40mil guaranteed. That is for a DT. The Bills, on the other hand, were able to draft Kyle Williams in the 5th, and recently re-signed him to a deal 1 year longer than Ngata's and only at $40mil/$17mil guaranteed.

We also just spent a very high pick on the best DT in his draft with Dareus. If he comes around this season, then all of this evens out, if not tilts towards the Bills' favor.

Edited by DrDareustein

Mario could end up getting tons of press on the NFL network, Sirius, ESPN, etc. He had most of his sacks after the surgery so when healthy could be a 20 sack year for him in the way Pettine uses him. The best thing we did this off season was hire him. He'll get the most out of these guys.

Very much this.

And....if they can pressure QB,s it really makes the DB's jobs a whole lot easier. I for one am really looking forward to our defense with Pettine at the helm. Wont be surprised one bit if we are in the top 3rd defenses in the NFL......this year and beyond.

I hope he spends a lot of time watching film of the Giants defense against the Patriots. The Giants seem to pressure Brady well. He becomes an entirely different QB when the pressure is on, even gets rattled...and frustrated at times.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. The biggest problem this franchise has faced over its history has been from incorrectly prioritizing basic football positions.

However, with regards to Ngata vs Mario Williams and the Bills' Drafting... the Ravens had to spend $61million to keep Ngata, with about $40mil guaranteed. That is for a DT. The Bills, on the other hand, were able to draft Kyle Williams in the 5th, and recently re-signed him to a deal 1 year longer than Ngata's and only at $40mil/$17mil guaranteed.

We also just spent a very high pick on the best DT in his draft with Dareus. If he comes around this season, then all of this evens out, if not tilts towards the Bills' favor.

It goes without saying that you have to pay your star players at some point. But when you don't draft them, you don't get those 6 years(now 5) at a decent rate. Ngata would have cost the Bills $36M on his first deal. Add those deals up.

I mentioned Ngata because he is a DE in the 3-4 and one of the most dominant physical presences in the NFL. He could have been the cornerstone of any defensive scheme the Bills would choose.....which is what the Bills are counting on Mario Williams to be.

Dareus has a chance to be a lite version of Ngata.....he just simply doesn't have the natural size that Ngata has...... but there is no comparison between Kyle Williams and Ngata. Kyle is to DT's what Mark Anderson is to DE's, a one trick pony. An undersized, one-gap penetrator. Players like that are worth a lot less than guys like Williams and Ngata.