The Buffalo Gamblers?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/9/4315732/the-buffalo-gamblers

"So, the Bills have gone from hiring cast-offs, and coordinators as their HC, to plucking the college ranks. Also, this was the first time in franchise history that the Bills used their first pick in the draft on a Quarterback."

"The Bills have decided to take some risks in key areas, but will these risks payoff? Considering what they have been doing over the past 13 years, these gambles are worth a shot."

To quote Albert Einstein "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." While I give credit to Bills management for trying new things this offseason, I agree that they taking some huge risks. Hiring a college HC with no NFL Head coaching experience, drafting a QB early in the draft, not upgrading the LG spot (or any other position on the O-line). We'll see how well these gambles payoff.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new coach was also an assistant in the NFL....people here have been complaining for years to take a QB in the 1st round and there are plenty of players to play LG on the roster. Not as well as Levitre did but should be ok. I don't think these should be called huge risks. It's all part of building a team.

The new coach was also an assistant in the NFL....people here have been complaining for years to take a QB in the 1st round and there are plenty of players to play LG on the roster. Not as well as Levitre did but should be ok. I don't think these should be called huge risks. It's all part of building a team.

Lovie Smith is a proven winner and had a good W/L record in Chicago (including a Superbowl appearance), so choosing Marrone over Smith is a gamble. EJ Manuel was considered a 2nd round talent, and by most draft experts, they didn't consider him the best QB in the draft. I feel the O-line could take some steps back this year. A lot of the O-lines deficiencies were masterfully masked by Gailey's offense and by Fitz's pocket presence and quick throws. IMO, these are all risky moves.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

To quote Albert Einstein "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." While I give credit to Bills management for trying new things this offseason, I agree that they taking some huge risks. Hiring a college HC with no NFL Head coaching experience, drafting a QB early in the draft, not upgrading the LG spot (or any other position on the O-line). We'll see how well these gambles payoff.

Such as opening a 'Jerry Jabber' post and expecting anything positive.

http://www.buffaloru...uffalo-gamblers

"So, the Bills have gone from hiring cast-offs, and coordinators as their HC, to plucking the college ranks. Also, this was the first time in franchise history that the Bills used their first pick in the draft on a Quarterback."

"The Bills have decided to take some risks in key areas, but will these risks payoff? Considering what they have been doing over the past 13 years, these gambles are worth a shot."

I think people citing this has officially become my biggest pet peeve in the whole world. I hear it at least twice every month. At least you know the origin. Most people just say, "ya know the definition of insanity is..." Well, no it's not. It may be an example, but it's not the definition. OK I digress. Yes I am also psyched about the Bills' fresh approach to 2013.

Such as opening a 'Jerry Jabber' post and expecting anything positive.

Why thank you

I think people citing this has officially become my biggest pet peeve in the whole world. I hear it at least twice every month. At least you know the origin. Most people just say, "ya know the definition of insanity is..." Well, no it's not. It may be an example, but it's not the definition. OK I digress. Yes I am also psyched about the Bills' fresh approach to 2013.

We all have heard quotes tons of times that we're sick of hearing, but after 13 years of doing basically doing the same crap, I felt that quote was appropriate.

While it's true the Bills never hired a college coach as a head coach before, it's not like we only hired recycled former NFL coaches before. Gregg Williams and Mike Mullarkey were both first-time head coaches from the ranks of NFL assistants. While it's fun to toss out the old Einstein/Insanity quote, it doesn't actually apply to the Bills. They found a variety of ways to fail.

And by the way Einstein never said that quote. :doh:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

While it's true the Bills never hired a college coach as a head coach before, it's not like we only hired recycled former NFL coaches before. Gregg Williams and Mike Mullarkey were both first-time head coaches from the ranks of NFL assistants. While it's fun to toss out the old Einstein/Insanity quote, it doesn't actually apply to the Bills. They found a variety of ways to fail.

And by the way Einstein never said that quote. :doh:

PTR

The article stated cast-offs (ex-head coaches) and coordinators, so the quote does apply.

Colleges don't accept any quotes from Wiki's (because they're people's opinions, not fact, which is why anyone can create a wiki post).

http://www.brainyquo...eins133991.html

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Name me a HC hire that would have been a sure thing. Ill wait.

The article stated cast-offs (ex-head coaches) and coordinators, so the quote does apply.

Colleges don't accept any quotes from Wiki's (because they're people's opinions, not fact, which is why anyone can create a wiki post).

http://www.brainyquo...eins133991.html

I call you...

http://www.news.hype...didnt-say-that/

And raise you one internet article of unknown accuracy.

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/article-10969-no-more-insanely-repeating-the-definition-of-insanity.html

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

http://www.buffaloru...uffalo-gamblers

harbaugh ( both of them ) anyone? even if john?? wasn´t a college HC. just a SPTC. anyway, imho it is a PLUS nowadays to have no NFL HC experience

harbaugh ( both of them ) anyone? even if john?? wasn´t a college HC. just a SPTC. anyway, imho it is a PLUS nowadays to have no NFL HC experience

For every Jim & John Harbaugh, there's a Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier and Bobby Petrino.

I tought it was the Houston Gamblers...oh wait, that was the USFL. And their QB was pretty good!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What is the point you're trying to make here? Every coaching hire and player acquisition represents a risk. From a certain point of view you could say a GM's job is nothing more than taking on a series of calculated gambles. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary in this department, outside of maybe Nate Hackett.

Just listening to NFL on Sirius. One of the guys stated that he might be able to see Buffalo being a two win team this year (making the assumption that at least one team would failt to win three). He added that the new coach and QB could be the reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised given the re-tooling we are doing. I guess if that enabled us to get Clowney...

Just listening to NFL on Sirius. One of the guys stated that he might be able to see Buffalo being a two win team this year (making the assumption that at least one team would failt to win three). He added that the new coach and QB could be the reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised given the re-tooling we are doing. I guess if that enabled us to get Clowney...

I have no expectations for the Bills this season (so far). We have a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive strategies, and we don't know who will be the starting QB come Week 1, so it's very hard to say how well/poor the team will do. One thing is for sure, after 13 miserable years, I'm not hoping or thinking playoffs until it actually happens.