The Buffalo Gamblers?

Not if you look at what that college's win pct was in the 10 years before he got there.

And FWIW, if you're going to insist the failure rate for college coaches is significant, you really should have the retread failure rate available as backup.

My point to everyone that is in favor of hiring a college coach (such as Jim & John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll), that there are equal (if not more) college coaches that fail as NFL head coaches. The retred coaches I was referring to are those that had successful records as HC's, such as Lovie Smith, Marty Schottenheimer & Bill Cowher (not Dick Jauron & Chan Gailey). Just a few years ago, an overwhelming majority of Bills fans wanted Bill Cowher as our HC.

...or at least the college failure rate. He just referenced 3 guys that did a bad job 10 years ago.

Actually, it was one guy 10 years ago: Steve Spurrier (2002-03, Redskins HC)

Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins HC 2005, 2006 (7 years ago)

Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons HC, 2007 (6 years)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Claim 2 or 3 players at the final 53 and I am sold. The Bills are one of the few teams that never claim anyone AFTER preseason

Considering we are always below.500, this is crazy

-

Edited by HOUSE

My point to everyone that is in favor of hiring a college coach (such as Jim & John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll), that there are equal (if not more) college coaches that fail as NFL head coaches. The retred coaches I was referring to are those that had successful records as HC's, such as Lovie Smith, Marty Schottenheimer & Bill Cowher (not Dick Jauron & Chan Gailey). Just a few years ago, an overwhelming majority of Bills fans wanted Bill Cowher as our HC.

Actually, it was one guy 10 years ago: Steve Spurrier (2002-03, Redskins HC)

Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins HC 2005, 2006 (7 years ago)

Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons HC, 2007 (6 years)

I said in the last 5 years; that was my point. The game has changed and in recent times they have had success. I attributed that in large part to the recent influence that the college game has had on the pros. NFL offenses have borrowed the spread, read option, etc.. The players are ready to play earlier now than at any point in large part because the two games are not as different as they once were. This goes without saying that the college coaches have more intimate knowledge of the players entering the league.

In terms of retreads way more of them have failed in the 2nd go around than succeeded. Gibbs, Mularky, Gailey, Jauron, etc...

I said in the last 5 years; that was my point. The game has changed and in recent times they have had success. I attributed that in large part to the recent influence that the college game has had on the pros. NFL offenses have borrowed the spread, read option, etc.. The players are ready to play earlier now than at any point in large part because the two games are not as different as they once were. This goes without saying that the college coaches have more intimate knowledge of the players entering the league.

In terms of retreads way more of them have failed in the 2nd go around than succeeded. Gibbs, Mularky, Gailey, Jauron, etc...

I would have more confidence if Lovie Smith was the Bills HC vice Doug Marrone. While some on here say that Syracuse's record was abysmal before Marrone arrived, the fact remains the same that his record at Syracuse was .500. So, he took a terrible team and made them mediocre...doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he can get the job done here in Buffalo. Now, I hope I'm wrong and Marrone has the same success as the Harbaugh Bros, but after 13 miserable seasons (to borrow a quote from Boss Hogg [buddy Nix]) "Show me the baby!"

Maybe true ? Lets not forget Bill Belichick, Don Shula, Dick Vermeil and probably several others that have done quite well.

Its hard to find any real correlation between NFL success of retreads vs. fresh college hires. I'm sure its out there somewhere.

I think I'm pretty satisfied with our HC hiring even though we haven't played a down yet. He seems to have put a pretty good staff around him and brought in what should be some pretty good flexible players.

These guys might just surprise us this year. Man I sure hope so !

Lovie Smith is a proven winner and had a good W/L record in Chicago (including a Superbowl appearance), so choosing Marrone over Smith is a gamble. EJ Manuel was considered a 2nd round talent, and by most draft experts, they didn't consider him the best QB in the draft. I feel the O-line could take some steps back this year. A lot of the O-lines deficiencies were masterfully masked by Gailey's offense and by Fitz's pocket presence and quick throws. IMO, these are all risky moves.

except history says that Coaches who make it to a Superbowl, rarely do so with the team they go to after the team they made it with...

Maybe true ? Lets not forget Bill Belichick, Don Shula, Dick Vermeil and probably several others that have done quite well.

Its hard to find any real correlation between NFL success of retreads vs. fresh college hires. I'm sure its out there somewhere.

I think I'm pretty satisfied with our HC hiring even though we haven't played a down yet. He seems to have put a pretty good staff around him and brought in what should be some pretty good flexible players.

These guys might just surprise us this year. Man I sure hope so !

I guess that my point is that the game is a lot different. Those that are willing to accept it and play the modern style have success. Those that don't adapt and play schemes that worked in 1990 (I'm talkin to you Wanny) fail miserably. I am just excited that the Bills will be "multiple" and play fast. I believe that the teams that are having success now are doing those things. It sounds like the Bills will do those things so to me it's not that risky.

I would have more confidence if Lovie Smith was the Bills HC vice Doug Marrone. While some on here say that Syracuse's record was abysmal before Marrone arrived, the fact remains the same that his record at Syracuse was .500. So, he took a terrible team and made them mediocre...doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he can get the job done here in Buffalo. Now, I hope I'm wrong and Marrone has the same success as the Harbaugh Bros, but after 13 miserable seasons (to borrow a quote from Boss Hogg [buddy Nix]) "Show me the baby!"

Holding Marrone's feet to the fire on a .500 record in four years at Syracuse is, in a word, ridiculous. Changing the culture of a college program that has hit the skids takes years.

One example? Mack Brown at North Carolina. Mack came in and went 1-10, 1-10, 6-4-1, 7-4 in his first four years at the school. That's 15-28-1 for the math majors out there.

Now, Mack didn't jump to the NFL, but that's not the point. What Marrone did at Syracuse is significant, and should NOT be viewed as a detractor from his qualifications.