Wegmans named best workplace in U.S.

Mike32282

Try going to Winn Dixie..

When you leave, you feel like you need a delousing.

200548[/snapback]

I agree 100% steve. There's a Winn Dixie around every corner here. I refuse to shop at any of them. They call themselves "The Beef People", but their prices on ground beef is almost twice as much as any other store around here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't seen bigger supermarkets anywhere in the country than in western new york... i remember feeling like i needed a machete to get out of wegmans floral department. i worked for both tops and bells as a teenager; when i interviewed at wegmans i remember you could barely see the manager's desk it was so covered with applications.

In the small town that produced me, Wegman's was not only a great store it was almost a place to hang out. I remember as a child getting a Free cookie everytime I went there, so my childhood memories of Wegman's are great. Whenever you meet someone from western NY, wegmans is always brought up. I miss Wegman's more than anything else, if you asked my wife she would tell you it's the first stop we make when we get into Rochester....man, I am sad.

In the small town that produced me, Wegman's was not only a great store it was almost a place to hang out.  I remember as a child getting a Free cookie everytime I went there, so my childhood memories of Wegman's are great.  Whenever you meet someone from western NY, wegmans is always brought up.  I miss Wegman's more than anything else, if you asked my wife she would tell you it's the first stop we make when we get into Rochester....man, I am sad.

200988[/snapback]

It's a topic of conversation regularly for those of us away from home. I've taken friends back to NY to see the old stomping grounds and NONE of them can believe Wegmans. It's simply that much better than everywhere else. You truly don't know what you've got until it's gone.

:lol:  :lol:

It can't be that bad.   :D

200555[/snapback]

You have NO IDEA!

Dirty stores, rude employees, dumb employees, employees that cannot speak English (fun while you're ordering a sub at the deli) and looooooong lines at the cheakout!

I like the Albertsons near my house.

14+ year employee of the Johnson City Store (#73) and still going strong. 8 of which are full time. Started when I was 15 puching carts outside, won the scholarship they offer to college students and attended Oswego St...found out college was not my gig, Wegmans welcomed be back to my home store with open arms and eventually I became full time. I am currently the Frozen Foods manager at Store 73 (Johnson City) and love every minute of it. You might not work M-F 9-5 but there is stability and a sense of carig from Mr. Wegman (Bob) on down to the store manager. I have been treated with nothing but respect from day one and love my job with the company. I plan on moving to the new Fairfax, VA store this summer and continue my career with the company and hopefully working my way up the Wegmans management ladder. The VA stores are going STRONG! There is so no competition down there at all. At the Dulles, VA opening back in March of '04 there were 500+ people in line at 6:00 am all cheering the incoming employees and chanting "WEGMANS WEGMANS!" as we all made our way to the front of the building. Transplants from all over WNY and CNY were all fired up that a Wegmans was finally in their neightborhood. True story....I was helping out in the Dairy dept on that opening day and we ran out of Zweigels in less than 40 minutes. Unfortunately a few popular WNY items like that and Bison dip slipped our minds when stocking up. So instea

14+ year employee of the Johnson City Store (#73) and still going strong. 8 of which are full time. Started when I was 15 puching carts outside, won the scholarship they offer to college students and attended Oswego St...found out college was not my gig, Wegmans welcomed be back to my home store with open arms and eventually I became full time. I am currently the Frozen Foods manager at Store 73 (Johnson City) and love every minute of it. You might not work M-F 9-5 but there is stability and a sense of carig from Mr. Wegman (Bob) on down to the store manager. I have been treated with nothing but respect from day one and love my job with the company. I plan on moving to the new Fairfax, VA store this summer and continue my career with the company and hopefully working my way up the Wegmans management ladder. The VA stores are going STRONG! There is so no competition down there at all. At the Dulles, VA opening back in March of '04 there were 500+ people in line at 6:00 am all cheering the incoming employees and chanting "WEGMANS WEGMANS!" as we all made our way to the front of the building. Transplants from all over WNY and CNY were all fired up that a Wegmans was finally in their neightborhood. True story....I was helping out in the Dairy dept on that opening day and we ran out of Zweigels in less than 40 minutes. Bison Dip in 2 hours, Dinosaur BBQ in 1 hour...all things we failed to take in account how popular they really might be for the local transplants that can not get that anywhere else. So instead of making excuses and giving the customer the run around, they sent a special tractor trailer with a bunch these items (Bison Dip, Zweigels, Dinosaur BBQ sauce, etc) down that morning and it arrived 8 or so hours later to keep the customers satsified until the regular load came down the next night It's things like that, that make it special to be a part of that team. Anyways...sorr to go off on a tangent but I thought you guys might like that story.

Also...the company rumour going around about why Wegmans ditched the Bills training camp sponsorship was that Gregg Williams came across as the biggest, and most pompous a$$ at a get together with Mr. Wegmans and other VIPS, that Mr. Wegman was so infuriated with his attitude and behavior that he dropped the sponsorship the next morning after. No idea how true that is but that's what I hear.

I have written to Wegman's requesting that they *please* open a store in the Albany,NY area..

200934[/snapback]

I think Wegman's tried that, and they bailed because of the union presence there. I know they gave up on Pittsburgh area because of that. Pittsburgh was mentioned in an earlier thread. That is a place that could really use better grocery options. Wegman's would blow their minds.

Being a western NY'er, I do take some pride in Wegman's success and popularity. But the downside is that they can be unnecessarily difficult on suppliers and farmers. The customer is definately second in regard to pricing. If they can sell 10 units per week at $4 each instead of 40 at $1 each, that's what they will do even if their product cost is the same. That hurts the supplier and the consumer.

They subscribe heavily to pushing their own store brands, which are often no better than store brands you could buy at Aldi or Save-A-Lot for half the price or less. The whole process undermines the companies that develop the name brand products and create innovative food choices. These companies helped Wegman's become what they are by providing them with quality goods to sell. Tops is about as guilty as Wegman's, but Tops isn't owned by the Castellini family anymore, they are foreign and totally corporate so a lack of loyalty on their part is hardly a surprise.

Wegman's is by far the best grocery store I've ever seen..... :lol: Puts King's to shame. :D

They are trying to build one in E.Hanover NJ but the site they selected was voted down by the town :lol:

It's a topic of conversation regularly for those of us away from home.  I've taken friends back to NY to see the old stomping grounds and NONE of them can believe Wegmans.  It's simply that much better than everywhere else.  You truly don't know what you've got until it's gone.

200991[/snapback]

I'll second that. Two years after leaving Upstate NY and I miss it to death.

I can't stand these grocery stores in Philly - they suck. I mean, either be cheap, convenient, have good food, or have good customer service. They fail in all 4 areas. I can't believe people deal with this crap their whole lives. Wegmans isn't dirt cheap, but they get 4 stars in all of the other categories.

I've been eating out way too often lately, and I suspect the lack of a Wegmans is a major reason for that.

I'll second that.  Two years after leaving Upstate NY and I miss it to death. 

I can't stand these grocery stores in Philly - they suck.  I mean, either be cheap, convenient, have good food, or have good customer service.  They fail in all 4 areas.  I can't believe people deal with this crap their whole lives.  Wegmans isn't dirt cheap, but they get 4 stars in all of the other categories. 

I've been eating out way too often lately, and I suspect the lack of a Wegmans is a major reason for that.

201081[/snapback]

there is a wegmans in philly...sort of...in downington and allentown...when i was in philly for a conference in november, i drove out to downington specifically to take my friend from UPenn (native of northern california) to a wegmans because she couldn't believe such a xanadu of grocery stores could exist...

the place was fantastic...very similar to the pittsford and alberta wegmans...even carried all the same products, W Pop, Anchor Bar Wing sauce, Perry's Ice Cream...basically every product you could get in a Buffalo/Rochester store was there

i helped her stock up a month's worth of food...after buying only wegmans producs (Wegmans cereal, wegmans soup, wegmans etc.) she was amazed at how inexpensive her bill was compared to other stores like whole foods

my fiance and I joke that we will partially be basing my choice of future location of employment on whether or not there is a wegmans in that town :D

except it's not that big of a joke

there is a wegmans in philly...sort of...in downington and allentown...when i was in philly  for a conference in november, i drove out to downington specifically to take my friend from UPenn (native of northern california) to a wegmans because she couldn't believe such a xanadu of grocery stores could exist...

the place was fantastic...very similar to the pittsford and alberta wegmans...even carried all the same products, W Pop, Anchor Bar Wing sauce, Perry's Ice Cream...basically every product you could get in a Buffalo/Rochester store was there

i helped her stock up a month's worth of food...after buying only wegmans producs (Wegmans cereal, wegmans soup, wegmans etc.) she was amazed at how inexpensive her bill was compared to other stores like whole foods

my fiance and I joke that we will partially be basing my choice of future location of employment on whether or not there is a wegmans in that town  :D

except it's not that big of a joke

201104[/snapback]

Ha, good stuff. Where is Downington exactly? Allentown is out there a bit.

Yeh, Whole Foods is ridiculously overpriced, and Acme just plain sucks. Superfresh is the best of the bunch, but still no Wegmans.

not sure exactly...i mapquested all the directions and still managed to get lost...i did the driving and she was supposed to navigate...since we hadn't seen each other for years, we kept talking and she forgot to tell me when to merge onto another highway...ended up getting off at plymouth place or something like that, stopped by a bunch of gas stations where the employees claimed to not know nothing about directions, bought a map and felt my way around until I got there

check out http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/

Try going to Winn Dixie..

When you leave, you feel like you need a delousing.

200548[/snapback]

I friggin HATE Winn Dixie. Albertson's ain't much better. The WD I used to shop at was pretty clean, but they never had enough checkout lines open. Albertson's is just friggin disgusting. I feel like I'm in a 3rd world country (of course I'm in South Florida, so I guess that's about right). Publix is light-years ahead of those guys as far as shopping experience goes. Wegman's would blow them all away if they had the same friendly experience as WNY, but I don't think that can be replicated in South FL.

Whole Foods is so pretentious. They just opened a Village Marketplace near the office and it's so much better than WF. They're overpriced, too. But not so much, and the choices are much better.

I'm getting hungry thinking about all this. :w00t:

Also...the company rumour going around about why Wegmans ditched the Bills training camp sponsorship was that Gregg Williams came across as the biggest, and most pompous a$$ at a get together with Mr. Wegmans and other VIPS, that Mr. Wegman was so infuriated with his attitude and behavior that he dropped the sponsorship the next morning after.  No idea how true that is but that's what I hear.

201042[/snapback]

The "rumor" I heard is that Danny W pulled out because of the Flutie fiasco...that Wegman was very fond of DF, both personally and finacially (remember "Flutie's Favorite Sub?).

It's too bad that there's ill-blood between Wegmans and the Bills, because they are both a natural fit for each other...and because when Ralph goes to that great sky box way above the stadium named after him, Danny W will be one of the locals looked to to keep the team in WNY.

I have written to Wegman's requesting that they *please* open a store in the Albany,NY area..

200934[/snapback]

The way I see their planning is that they are circling around the NYC area. Almost surronding it, I hope one day they push in and put A&P, Shoprite and Stop and Shop to shame!

There must be a certain morbid fascination at watching the 17-year-olds squirm around for their fake ID's when they come in the store at night to try to buy beer and cigarettes. :w00t:

200636[/snapback]

You should see the kind of girls that come in. I love the summer. They wear barely anything, especially those HOT college girls. Man, I got a ton of stories that would get in trouble if I said them. :w00t:

NO DOUBT!!!! They must be required to wear those tight black pants.....aye carumba.

I try to get at the last available check out line so I can check out the goods from behind on the way out.

200723[/snapback]

:w00t:

The only problem is most of them are still in high school. You should see the way some of the cashiers look when they come in on their day off to pick up their paycheck... *drool* Damn, I'd get myself in too much trouble if I still worked days. :w00t: