Bills Look Promising

Owen

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing for me is when...WHEN...the Bills break through and maybe go all the way it will be the sweetest moment ever. It will vindicate all the years of disappointment. Anyone can be a fan of the NY Yankees, Miami Heat or New England Patriots. It takes true devotion to stick with a team that stinks year after year.

PTR

The thing for me is when...WHEN...the Bills break through and maybe go all the way it will be the sweetest moment ever. It will vindicate all the years of disappointment. Anyone can be a fan of the NY Yankees, Miami Heat or New England Patriots. It takes true devotion to stick with a team that stinks year after year.

PTR

yeah. I watched the Red Sox win the world series in 2004 with a good friend who is a lifelong BoSox fan. His dad and even his grandfather were fans for life, and they had never seen their team win a championship. Ever. It was an unbelievable event to witness that night when they broke an 85+ year dry spell. Their reaction on the phone talking to each other when the last out was made, and listening to them talking about what it meant to them was so much more profound and intense than a yankee fan or a patriots fan seeing their team win the grand prize.

So the pure odds are you win an NFL championship 1 in every 32 years. That's about 2.5 per lifetime. Thanks to scotty norwood we got our 0.5, so i'm ready for my first full point. then i'm good for three decades....

I like the feel of this years team. I get the feeling the players are hungry and more talented. The coaches look to be a vast improvement over last year too... Time will tell of course, but things are looking up. Our coaches look to be more involved and Nix reinforced many positions with what looks to be some good depth. The biggest and most notable change will be on defense with our new DC. Then right behind that will be the go go offense that is being installed... WE will have a fun team to watch...and cheer for, unless you can not get off the stick and want to find non constructive things to say about the team.

The biggest change I am expecting (hoping) to see from this team is their ability to stop the *RUN*. If Pettine can do that with this group consisting of the same players on the DL, it will be an amazing turnaround and will be very indicative of the coaching that was in place. If the defense and special teams can hold tight and give a chance for this offense to blossom we will be alright.

I'll believe all of it when we go 4 - 2 in division, sweep the AFC and get into the playoffs.

How would we sweep the AFC, if we lose 2 games within the division ?

PTR

I don't think the name of the team matters. It has been a heart breaking 10 seasons if you are a Knicks fan, especially in such a talent-void NBA. The same goes with the Patriots. The patriots stunk up the joint for decades before the magical arrival of Brady.

There is no limit to human beings' penchant for gullibility. That which helps the Bills' cause most is the long period of time between the end and beginning of each season. 7-8 months is just enough time to forget how easily one was duped before and fall for something else as it is easy to sell hope. Russ Brandon would have made an excellent patent medicine salesman during the late 1800's. Here it is folks, step right up, this is the long-suffering Bills fans' friend and hope: Brandon's Bills Bitters.

There is no limit to human beings' penchant for gullibility. That which helps the Bills' cause most is the long period of time between the end and beginning of each season. 7-8 months is just enough time to forget how easily one was duped before and fall for something else as it is easy to sell hope. Russ Brandon would have made an excellent patent medicine salesman during the late 1800's. Here it is folks, step right up, this is the long-suffering Bills fans' friend and hope: Brandon's Bills Bitters.

I don't think most fans are as gullible as you say they are.

I think more likely, people tend to take the optimistic view, especially when it's their favorite sports team of which they are heavily invested emotionally.

No one is force feeding the Kool-Aid. It is being consumed voluntarily.

It seems you conveniently forgot the specific reasons for last seasons' suffering. A newly re-coached QB who regressed terribly and an un-imaginative defense.

Both were kicked to the curb at seasons' end. If nothing else, this year will bring an entirely new type of suffering.

It seems you conveniently forgot the specific reasons for last seasons' suffering. A newly re-coached QB who regressed terribly and an un-imaginative defense.

Both were kicked to the curb at seasons' end. If nothing else, this year will bring an entirely new type of suffering.

absolutely true. however, i am all in on the type of suffering that i am expecting. i think that this season will be filled with growing pains, adjustment failures, mental lapses, and dare i say a few more 15 yard personal fouls than we would want. but i also expect most of these mistakes to happen because of youth, enthusiasm and aggression. if this is the case and along the way we see improvement with flashes of good, young talent, i'll be ok with that.

Having a QB that the team (especially the defense) has faith in will work miracles as a motivator, spark and catalyst for this thing called synergy, where the capabilities of the team collective are much greater than the sum of its individual parts. The Bills have not had this for many years- they were a collection of struggling individuals with an occasional bright spot.

If they truly have that guy- and I believe they do- then great achievements are soon to follow.

PTR

Many would use a word other than devotion for what you describe. But I can appreciate your mindset.

Gullibility? Man you are way off the mark. We don't follow this team because we were the sucker born on the minute- we follow this team because it is a part of life- good and bad.

We have the benefit of hindsight which makes many of the Bill's past decisions look poor- however they do not rest and have not given up. That's enough for me.

No Wannstedt = Instant Improvement. The fact that we get the guy from The Jets, who not only was known for one of the NFL's best defenses but already knows our division is HUGE. I think the Offense will need some time to grow but has a lot of upside. I am realistically optimistic but we are much younger and faster than in year's past. I am happy that Fred and Stevie are still here to give the offense leadership and stability and am rooting hard for EJ. I am hoping for tons of CJ explosiveness. Would love so much to catch NE off guard week one at home and beat them. OMG, so excited.

No Wannstedt = Instant Improvement. The fact that we get the guy from The Jets, who not only was known for one of the NFL's best defenses but already knows our division is HUGE. I think the Offense will need some time to grow but has a lot of upside. I am realistically optimistic but we are much younger and faster than in year's past. I am happy that Fred and Stevie are still here to give the offense leadership and stability and am rooting hard for EJ. I am hoping for tons of CJ explosiveness. Would love so much to catch NE off guard week one at home and beat them. OMG, so excited.

You were doing good until the bolded.

Catch them off guard? Nah!

Beat 'em with their eyes wide open!

Except every time I think we are going to do that, Belicheat and Marcia Brady beat us 52-0. Sooo... just sayin' :)

There's a new sheriff in town!

Or as Lombardi once told his Packers, "You guys take care of the Giants and I'll take care of Allie Sherman (Giants Head Coach)!

Apparently that went over real well in the Packers locker room.

Just nurture the visual of Marrone cuffing Belicheat around for a few dances and then rag dolling him into lifeless submission.

PTR

It's beyond sweet.......when the Dallas Mavs beat the heat(after getting jobbed by refs and heat in 2006) 'twas amazing...

Dirk was crying ....Ryan l bills was crying.....The first championship is the best.

Guess we will have to beat the cowboys for similar effect...

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Same thing, different year.

Show me the baby. :)

PTR

I think this is very true.

I'm a Lakers fan... and I can tell you, I get so much more enjoyment out of Bills success, than Lakers success... and I like basketball more than football as a whole.