Bills Look Promising

Owen

Because I'm sure many posters here are much younger than I am, I thought I'd ask for the hell of it if all of you know where the expression, "Drink the Kool-Aid" comes from.

Jonestown cult in the late 70's. Most everybody bought in and, literally, drank the Kool Aid. The Kool Aid that time was poisoned by their leader, Jim Jones, and was intended to kill the whole group simultaneously. Let us hope that Buddy has not pulled a Jim Jones and the Kool Aid was fabricated without being laced with poison.

Edited by VanCity

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the kool aid is flowing so I'll spike the punch a little more..........

We have a young new innovative NFL head coach and OC

We had our pick of any college QB in the nation and we got the guy we wanted

We have a new Defensive Coordinator who is proven in this league

We have CJ Spiller and they don't

Our #2 receiver Robert Woods is going to be an NFL force

Dareus is going to come back with a vengeance this year

Solid special teams, faster defense, younger and stronger overall.

Plus our rookies can party like nobody else....... Luckily they'll have Stevie Johnson to show them how to mature and take life seriously.

If you don't think our team is going to be fun, you're nuts.

+1

Many fans will drag out the old "show me the Ws" business, but we all must wait for September for any of that.

But you should be able to see that this is not just another retread coach with a bunch of old ideas. You may not see it if you are blinded by cynicism from decades of losing. Try to get over it.

The elusive "baby" is finally on it's way.

I am loyal to BuffLo and I love the Bills. Given how many times we have been asked to have hope over the last decade I will "love" this new roster and coaching staff if the W's start flowing. Frankly, it is tiresome to see the same broken record play again and again. Let's hope this time the Bills got the recipe correct.

In the mean time enjoy the koolaid.

Yes - the Bills have sucked, and the fans have tried to be hopeful and optimistic in the past two decades. However, I recall most years there were glaring weaknesses to start off the new regimes, and we hoped that we'd be competitive despite those weaknesses. Really, not since Gregg Williams have I been this optimistic. I wasn't fooled by Gailey - I knew we'd have to win despite Fitzpatrick and Wanny's defense. With Jauron, it was the poor offense/QB play.

This year IS DIFFERENT. For one - this coaching staff looks far more promising than any we've had since Gregg Williams. I think it is better looking than even that. We have a really experienced, top-notch Defensive Coordinator who hasn't been making magic happen in his successes, but has a system - a philosophy - that has proven to work every year. Our players on that side of the ball are more than talented enough to be a top defensive unit in the league.

On offense, we just got the 1st QB in the draft, and a bunch of exciting WR's. Add that to RB's we already know are good, and a decent O-line, and for the first time in a long time we have reasons to feel like we can win. It's not trying to convince ourselves that maybe this year Fitzpatrick will be a totally different QB, or Wanny will all of a sudden switch schemes, or that Donald Jones and David Nelson will all of a sudden become play-makers.

This year we have players and coaches who are capable of winning - and a good enough roster to compete with probably 80% of the NFL, and in the NFL that 20% that is better than us can still be beaten with good coaching.

So, yeah - we've had to get excited about football in Buffalo before, but we've not been as set up for success, legitimately, as we are this year, in a long time.

But you should be able to see that this is not just another retread coach with a bunch of old ideas. You may not see it if you are blinded by cynicism from decades of losing. Try to get over it.

Ah but Greg Williams and Tom "don't question my flashy draft choices" were to usher in a new era...then... Two more GM's and two more coaching regimes later we are in the same situation.

Sorry but talk is cheap and the W's have not flowed in a long long time.

The Bills organization has hardly been held accountable by its fan base. Tickets are sold and games are watched.

There is no choice but to have faith that the newest changes will take root. The proof is in the record not the talk.

I cant believe im doing this but

Come on please.....after over a decade of losing....SHOW ME THE BABY before we starting doing this....

- Marrone.....I loved the hiring....but he has not won a SINGLE NFL GAME YET......just like Chip Kelly they have to prove themselves on the big stage.....need wins before I push my chips all in on this one

- LOVED the EJ Manuel selection.....but either a. You can expect growing pains if he starts as a rookie mixed with flashes of wonderful as his arm talent shows through or b. The bills will start Kolb for the veteran experience and we will have to wait a bit for EJ Manuel.....either of those is likely to happen

- I want to see just how Marrone uses CJ Spiller....because the fact of the matter is he is not a every down down back and we are gonna have to protect him from himself.....we MUST balance his carries with another back or your gonna see Spiller on the injury list before the season is out.....Freddie Jackson is still very much needed here.

- We don't know what kind of condition we are gonna get Chandler back in.......

What balances all this out for me?

I truly believe that this is the year that our defense turns the corner.....I believe the talent was there last year......and wasn't used correctly...the single biggest acquisition of this offseason is Pettine....and it isn't close. This team has been throwing high picks and big money at this defense for so long it HAS to be talented enough to compete now......look at the high draft picks? Gilmore, Darius, McKelvin, Carrington, Byrd, Alonzo......look at the free agent acquisitions.......Mario WIlliams, Manny Lawson, etc etc etc

If the defense can keep us in games long enough for this offense to get things figured out then by the end of the year we might really have something....but there are still a lot of IFS

Because I'm sure many posters here are much younger than I am, I thought I'd ask for the hell of it if all of you know where the expression, "Drink the Kool-Aid" comes from.

I'm jonesin for some Kool-Aid.

Jonestown cult in the late 70's. Most everybody bought in and, literally, drank the Kool Aid. The Kool Aid that time was poisoned by their leader, Jim Jones, and was intended to kill the whole group simultaneously. Let us hope that Buddy has not pulled a Jim Jones and the Kool Aid was fabricated without being laced with poison.

Thanks man. I never put those two together. Never knew thats where the "drink the Kul-aid" saying came from. I probably should know this but honestly I didnt. Again...many thanks.

jb

The Bills are masters of making their fans optimistic before the season starts. Every year I think "Well there's no way they can convince me next season." And every off season I fall for it. It does indeed feel different, but it's going to take a full season of showing that they can play in this league before I'm fully on board the optimistic train.

that was pretty nice what you did right there.

The Bills are masters of making their fans optimistic before the season starts. Every year I think "Well there's no way they can convince me next season." And every off season I fall for it. It does indeed feel different, but it's going to take a full season of showing that they can play in this league before I'm fully on board the optimistic train.

is it really that the bills' front office are a bunch of wizards casting spells on all of the fans and making them believe, or is it that we, the fans of the buffalo bills, are so hungry for something good that we will be more than willing to buy what they are selling? or, do we just love our buffalo sports teams like we love our kids....proud, and we love 'em, but sometimes you just have to wonder "why?".

its been years since the Bills have made multiple moves that in MY opinion were good moves and weren't hopeful reclamation projects, that the draft day wasn't okay at best but actually played it perfectly. I'm excited at this point and going to enjoy the optimism until they show me a reason not to.This wasn't a three year rebuild

I'm still struggling with the bromide, "The best predictor of tomorrow is yesterday."

Yeah, but this isn't yesterday's team. New coaches. New offensive and defensive schemes. New QBs. Lots of other new players. I'm not sure how it all adds up but it will interesting to find out.

LOL !! Video gave me a good chuckle. And.....yes..."negatron" ......thats the word ! I knew it didn't sound right when I typed it. Many thanks for that correction !!!! jb

No. Thank you for authoring that expression. I'm gonna have to steal it from time to time.

Dark.

But funny!

Is it really that the bills' front office are a bunch of wizards casting spells on all of the fans and making them believe, or is it that we, the fans of the buffalo bills, are so hungry for something good that we will be more than willing to buy what they are selling? or, do we just love our buffalo sports teams like we love our kids....proud, and we love 'em, but sometimes you just have to wonder "why?".

Yeah I was gonna post something similar to what swnybillsfan posted. The Bills are a business so to continue on with the allegory, their job is to sell Kool-Aid.

They're not pulling the wool over people's eyes so much as we the fans hope for the best and choose optimism.

At least some of us do.

The Bills have an easy schedule (26th) and only have to travel out of EST once with no west coast trips, both positives, and personally I hope that they do well. However, the only thing that we have to predict the future is the past, and the facts are that in Nix's tenure the Bills are an abysmal 16-32 overall (.33) and an even worse 4-14 against the AFC East (.22). Like Gailey, Marrone will get a mulligan his first year as the players "learn the new systems." Unlike Gailey, Marrone has never been a head coach in the NFL and will be learning on the job. Also, do not forget that the other AFC east teams, which the record shows are already stronger than the Bills, will be getting stronger themselves.

+1

Many fans will drag out the old "show me the Ws" business, but we all must wait for September for any of that.

What's the gestation period, this time?

I am happy that there is a new defensive coordinator. I think our defensive play calling and scheme cost us last year in a big way.

I also like Woods. I was hoping the Bills would draft him. He appears to be NFL ready.

The Bills will miss Levitre and possibly Gailey's offensive scheme. Not sure if the Bills have improved overall in terms of talent, but the key will be whether EJ can develop into a franchise QB. I hope the Bills will be competitive this year. If EJ shows promise and improvement, that would go a long way to creating some optimism about the team's future.