Buddy Nix on WGR this morning

Buddy said: 14 Teams tried to sign Da' Rick Rogers.

We did.

Quite literally: blow that out your ass ESPN.

While we are at it, anybody think the Patriots and Jets weren't 2 of those teams? So, they can blow it out their ass as well.

:lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I don't understand how he wasn't drafted. Granted, I wanted the Bills to take him in the 2-3rd round range. But, if this many teams wanted him, then why wouldn't anyone use a 7th on him? Particularly teams that have double digit draft picks.

Is the think that he wouldn't be worth it without the wake up call of not getting drafted? seems like a big gamble...

Buddy said: 14 Teams tried so sign Da' Rick Rogers.

We did.

Quite literally: blow that out your ass ESPN.

While we are at it, anybody think the Patriots and Jets weren't 2 of those teams? So, they can blow it out their ass as well.

:lol:

Well said!!! :thumbsup:

I don't understand how he wasn't drafted. Granted, I wanted the Bills to take him in the 2-3rd round range. But, if this many teams wanted him, then why wouldn't anyone use a 7th on him? Particularly teams that have double digit draft picks.

Is the think that he wouldn't be worth it without the wake up call of not getting drafted? seems like a big gamble...

Well, and the Bills won it. So, pretty cool?

There are a host of reasons -- teams inclined to gamble on him might have viewed themselves as pretty set at receiver, different priorities on character, concerns he will end up a habitually suspended player, concerns he isn't coachable... He has much to prove, but I'm glad that both the player and Marrone get to face that kind of test right away.

Signing a player with great potential to a UDFA contract is a low risk, high reward proposition. Not a big gamble at all.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Quite simply, his baggage dictates that he didn't get drafted. What's the gamble really? Draft a potential head case and have problems right away, or just wait it out. He still gets the wakeup call (i.e. not being drafted) and now will be on a tight leash. Buffalo's front office handled this perfectly.

I think he was referring to the gamble of hoping he'd be available as a UDFA instead of pulling the trigger on him with a 7th rounder.

If that's what he meant, agreed. With fourteen teams chasing Rogers post draft, it worked out in the Bills favor in any event.

The part I found most interesting is that Rogers, Woods and Goodwin share the same agent, who has a good relationship with Brandon. So while it's fine to pat ourselves on the back and say that the Bills "won" the Rogers sweepstakes, it's fair to wonder if the agent felt like he owed Brandon a favor after we drafted two of his guys. Either way it's a great get. Also great that Rogers knows the other two freshman WRs and they worked out as a group - sounds like we landed the triplets. Hope they're here together for many years. Exciting stuff.

The best part of that interview to me, by far, was his explanation of EJ Manuel.

In a nutshell, he said in the fall, when he and the scouts looked at him and graded him, they had similar concerns as the pundits did. He didn't look at the whole field being the example he used. That is what everyone says about him. He doesn't read defenses well. Then when they talked to him, and brought him in, and showed him all these plays and asked him what he was told to do, he did exactly as he was told to do. Then they asked his coaches and were told the same thing. Then they saw how well he understood defenses and how quickly he picked things up when they were grilling him, and it changed their opinion on him.

That makes a lot of sense, and even explains why people were down on him.

That doesn't mean he is going to be able to do it all well in the NFL. That's a huge question mark. I don't know if he is going to be good at all. But it explains a lot.

The part I found most interesting is that Rogers, Woods and Goodwin share the same agent, who has a good relationship with Brandon. So while it's fine to pat ourselves on the back and say that the Bills "won" the Rogers sweepstakes, it's fair to wonder if the agent felt like he owed Brandon a favor after we drafted two of his guys. Either way it's a great get. Also great that Rogers knows the other two freshman WRs and they worked out as a group - sounds like we landed the triplets. Hope they're here together for many years. Exciting stuff.

It couldn't hurt having Rogers agent already familiar with the Bills staff. From the UDFA perspective, I can see Buffalo being an attractive destination. How many other franchises are so thin at WR? Rogers has a legitimate shot to not only play but possibly be a starter with how wide open we are at WR. His competition is two other rookies and Easely. Not a bad setup for someone with something to prove.

It couldn't hurt having Rogers agent already familiar with the Bills staff. From the UDFA perspective, I can see Buffalo being an attractive destination. How many other franchises are so thin at WR? Rogers has a legitimate shot to not only play but possibly be a starter with how wide open we are at WR. His competition is two other rookies and Easely. Not a bad setup for someone with something to prove.

Yeah, I think it was a pretty easy decision for Da'Rick actually. The Bills had only one established WR and he is a possession guy. The one need was a big guy on the opposite side. The Bills had a new staff, a young staff, that he got along with great on his visit to Buffalo (not sure how many teams brought him in as one of their 30). That staff, because it is new, does not have favorites or preconceived notions about its WRs, and everyone is coming in fresh. That's a huge advantage for an UDFA. The team wants speed and big play ability and just drafted a rookie QB that can throw the long ball. That had to appeal to him. Throw in his buddy Woods, and his agent telling him this is probably the best spot, and it's easy.

The best part of that interview to me, by far, was his explanation of EJ Manuel.

Agree. Similarly interesting was his comments regarding the two safeties selected. He commented on differences of their skill sets, and how they both fit in schematically. He also said it had nothing to do with Byrd, and they would have done the same thing even if Byrd was in min- camp.

If you go to NFL.com draft tracker, you can look up information on most of the UDFA's. Several were thought to be mid-round picks. Pough, a linebacker from Howard, strikes me as a guy who has the skills to make the team. Tipoti too.

And of course, Da'Rick. I am excited, just like I always am after the draft.