Buffalo Bills UDFA Signings

It's interesting, with the receivers cut, drafted, and signed as free agents, the BIlls will have a completely different look at that position this year. I think it will be better (certainly faster). But I believe it tells you something about the offense they plan to run: get the ball to fast people in space, and let them run. Oh, and don't forget we already have one of the fastest players in the NFL in Spiller, who is a pretty good pass catcher and runner himself.

I'm excited to see what they have planned.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched a bit of the Kaufman kid on youtube and keeping in mind all the coaches talk about drafting versatile players. With the crowded receiver lineup i wonder if they are going to try and work this kid in as a passing TE. he has got the size but not necessarily the weight (i see him listed at 215) and i don't know about his blocking ability. His receiving ability however could create potential mismatches with linebackers. Im mostly hoping they can maximize all this young talent and work these different weapons in simultaneously.

I never really completely understood the difference between a WR and TE. I know TEs are usually much bigger and are relied on to block, but if a RB like Spiller can be relied on to pick up blitzes, then a player with the body of a WR should be able to also. So, I really don't know why a bigger WR couldn't be converted to a TE. Perhaps someone can give me more insight.

I never really completely understood the difference between a WR and TE. I know TEs are usually much bigger and are relied on to block, but if a RB like Spiller can be relied on to pick up blitzes, then a player with the body of a WR should be able to also. So, I really don't know why a bigger WR couldn't be converted to a TE. Perhaps someone can give me more insight.

Run blocking on the line against D linemen

Yeah....tell that to Jerry rice, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

Maybe Ed McCaffrey too.

An extra tall body in the end zone who can also jump for balls would be quite an asset. He could be a David Nelson with more reach. I'd like him to push Smith for the 6th spot at the very least.

Edited by Pilsner

Apparently Smith has done well with both Kolb and TJax in the voluntary workouts. I know he is expensive but i wouldn't be surprised if they kept him around considering Stevie will probably be the only other veteran WR on the roster.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/22153184/2013-nfl-draft-top-10-undrafted-underclassmen

Rogers at #2 on the list:

WR Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee Tech (6-3, 217, 4.52)

Once considered a first-round prospect, Rogers led the SEC in catches in 2011 but was dismissed from Tennessee prior to the 2012 season due to multiple failed drug tests and issues with the coaching staff. He wound up at Tennessee Tech and was productive at the FCS-level in 2012 and kept his nose clean, but the damage was already done. Considered a first-round talent by some, the talent wasn't enough to overlook the maturity concerns.

Rogers was the leading receiver in the SEC in 2011 with Tennessee and was considered more talented than either Justin Hunter or Cordarelle Patterson...his potential is extremely high...he is the most physically gifted receiver we may have ever had on this team...that's how good he can be

Rogers was the leading receiver in the SEC in 2011 with Tennessee and was considered more talented than either Justin Hunter or Cordarelle Patterson...his potential is extremely high...he is the most physically gifted receiver we may have ever had on this team...that's how good he can be

Jerry Butler is IMO. Shame he had an injury shortened career. Da'Rick has a chance to be damn good if he's ready to be disciplined in every phase of his life. Could be a Brandon Marshall or TO type.

Here's to him making the most of this opportunity.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/02/matt-scott-kevin-reddick-headline-this-years-best-udfa-signings/

Which of this year’s UDFAs have the best chance to make an impact for their new teams? Here are 12 with a shot:

Keith Pough, LB, Howard — Buffalo Bills: The Bills’ post-draft pickup WR Da’Rick Rogers, a very talented but problematic wide receiver, will garner the most attention going forward. But don’t overlook the potential for Pough to make an impact in Buffalo, too.

The 6-foot-2 linebacker set an FCS record with 71 tackles for loss in his career. Buffalo’s not particularly deep at that spot on the field either, despite the addition of second-round pick Kiko Alonso. Pough has a great shot to make the roster, and he could pay off down the line if he does.

Jerry Butler is IMO. Shame he had an injury shortened career. Da'Rick has a chance to be damn good if he's ready to be disciplined in every phase of his life. Could be a Brandon Marshall or TO type.

Here's to him making the most of this opportunity.

I'd give the title to Eric moulds. I thought he had it all....except a QB.

Edited by NewEra

I still marvel at the fact that Rogers wanted to play for B'lo when half the other teams wanted him. Could it have been Ike Hilliard who persuaded him to sign with the Bills? It seems like we have some very promising UDFA's this year. Hopefully, teams will not raid our practice squad.

I still marvel at the fact that Rogers wanted to play for B'lo when half the other teams wanted him. Could it have been Ike Hilliard who persuaded him to sign with the Bills? It seems like we have some very promising UDFA's this year. Hopefully, teams will not raid our practice squad.

I read somewhere he is friends with a player on our roster. Anyway, he probably looked at Buffalo's roster and decided he could be our #1 WR in a year or two. That, and our coaches are new, there's a lot of excitement about this team right now, a lot of TALENT on our roster - if EJ Manuel is looked on favorably by college WR's, then having a good QB might have been a factor. All of it, though - he's coming in to a situation where although he's a rookie, I'm sure Marrone told him he had an equal shot to start as everyone - even the entrenched starters and highly drafted players. So, he's coming into a place where if he plays hard and stays out of trouble he could be the #1 or #2 guy, he's not going to a team where everyone knows the system already, but instead everyone is on the same page... From his perspective, what's not to like about Buffalo - other than the weather?

I read somewhere he is friends with a player on our roster. Anyway, he probably looked at Buffalo's roster and decided he could be our #1 WR in a year or two. That, and our coaches are new, there's a lot of excitement about this team right now, a lot of TALENT on our roster - if EJ Manuel is looked on favorably by college WR's, then having a good QB might have been a factor. All of it, though - he's coming in to a situation where although he's a rookie, I'm sure Marrone told him he had an equal shot to start as everyone - even the entrenched starters and highly drafted players. So, he's coming into a place where if he plays hard and stays out of trouble he could be the #1 or #2 guy, he's not going to a team where everyone knows the system already, but instead everyone is on the same page... From his perspective, what's not to like about Buffalo - other than the weather?

1. Rogers, Woods, and Goodwin all share the same agent. 2. Woods and Rogers train together. 3. The Bills established a good relationship with Rogers in the pre-draft visit to OBD. 4. On top of that with SJ13 as the only established WR on the team, the Bills offer a great opportunity for Rogers to make the team and contest for a significant role this season.