Rd 5, Pick #143: S Jonathan Meeks - Clemson

mrags

Let's not forget the Bills DC is one of the architects of a defense that consistently gives Pats the fits. And that defense is not based on getting to the QB but by beating the crap out of the receivers.

We had 3 safeties that they should feel pretty good about.. yes we needed another, but they took him in 4th. Taking a 5th Safety doesn't seem smart because its very unlikely 5 make the team anyway. And are you cutting one of the other guys? Doubt it. They currently have Brooks as the #3 CB, one injury away from starting... he didn't even start in college. That is frighteningly thin depth, whereas they are overloaded with bodies at safety. I think they should have balanced it better, as even a lower rated CB would have a better chance of making the team and contributing.

you have to go with the talent available, and they felt the value was at safety. we have questions at safety and the new d coordinator likes to use a bunch of them. pettine wants to attack and this kid is a thumper, right? competition may breed success here. let these guys fight it out and see who's left standing when the smoke clears. and don't forget that we need guys to run down the field and crash into other people at full speed on special teams. i am chugging the kool aid that is this year's draft!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched a lot of game film on this kid. His intangibles are off the charts. I had him graded as a late 4th round grade…………..

I've been watching too much draft coverage and Mike Mayock. Never heard of the guy. But since I've started following the draft this is the first Bills draft I've actually like every player drafted.

Biggest B.S. post of the year. U actualy watched a lot of game film on the kid?... and how did u decide on a 4th round grade?..And what exactly are his intangibles... that u saw on film ? Care to elaborate ???......... Didn't think so. We're not all ten years old here !! W Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Both of the safeties drafted are big hitters and SS types. He's a project, and Pettine likes to play three safeties. This should not at all be seen as having anything to do with Byrd staying or going.

While Byrd might not have been the primary factor wrt this selection, he HAD to enter into the equation imo. Levitre was only guaranteed 10 million or so by his new team iirc, and they let him walk. Byrd will make close to 7 mil. this season. The bar has been set. How much will, or should the Bills pay him?

Neither of us really know, but my guess is that Byrd is gone next season. A huge portion of our cap space will be tied up with Mario and Fitz.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 2 weeks later...