Did anyone $&^@ this team more last year than Dave Wannstedt?

eball

Has anyone ever snuck out the back door more quietly? I hope it hit him. SOB couldn't even show his face on the field during the game. He is the biggest reason Gailey got fired and rightfully so.

Plus......He couldn't even carry Marios wifes bag when he picked them up at the airport. Prick.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...the buck stops at defensive co-ordinator? Who hired him? Who agreed with his strategies and management? Who failed to keep valuable players and failed to draft strong players. As long as Buddy is GM we will continue to go downhill.

Buddy didn't hire Wanny, Chan did. And see what it got Chan.

I agree 100% but was it really necessary to put F**K in the title to get your point accross? Let's use a little more class here.

The fact anyone in this day and age (and particularly on a football message board) believes use of the word f**k is inappropriate is really pretty funny. I'd like to see it used more -- like in sermons, presidential speeches, judicial opinions, etc. Why fight it?

The more I hear out of defensive players as they're around the new staff, the angrier I become at Wannstedt for his unemotional and uninspired tenure as the Bills' DC. Say what you want about Gailey's playcalling and Fitz's inconsistency, but nobody did more to screw the Bills' chance at a good season than Wanny. The Buffalo News article on Bradham this morning is just the latest example of the changed atmosphere and intensity around the team.

I hear many of you whining about lack of talent, but coaching DOES matter.

It's precisely these kind of PLAYER sound bytes that prompted me to start the "tone" thread.

Nix & Gailey come immediately to mind. There's plenty of blame to go around, but until the FO gets the players and the HC hires the coordinators and the coordinators put the players in the best position to succeed we are stuck on the treadmill of lower mediocrity.

Hmmm...the buck stops at defensive co-ordinator? Who hired him? Who agreed with his strategies and management? Who failed to keep valuable players and failed to draft strong players. As long as Buddy is GM we will continue to go downhill.

For the life of me, I can't understand the loyalty to Buddy Nix on the part of Russ Brandon. It boggles my mind. His list of mistakes is quite long. During his initial presser, he said that he wasn't the smartest guy in the room. At least he wasn't wrong about everything.

It's precisely these kind of PLAYER sound bytes that prompted me to start the "tone" thread.

And it's exactly why I agreed with you. I'ts pretty clear to me that a culture change is happening quickly. I'm not saying this is something totally unique to Marrone, just simply saying it's going on. Heck our two free agent signees didn't even know about our playoff drought. I'm not trying to make too big of a deal about it but there's a positive buzz and I'm happy with it. Of course to sustain it we have to play well and win.

You could make a strong argument that Wannstead cost Gailey his job.

NFN, but I think that was Dave's plan... to get his friend fired so he could replace him. Notice how the defense improved at the end of the season. It doesn't take 10 games to learn a basic 4-3 defense. Edited by FeartheLosing

I think there are many pieces of information I can point to from last year that illustrate just how pitiful Wanny was and how absurd his scheme was:

1. During the Jets game it was clear that they went in believing they could get to the QB with just their base defense. The Jets had a better gameplan and Wanny was absolutely unprepared or unable to adjust.

2. In the second or third game I think, there was a player (I can't remember who) on an opposing team who said something like "they didn't disguise anything" they just lined up in a base 3-4".

3. Tom Brady walking to the line of scrimmage and calling out the entire defensive alignment. Again, the Bills were completely unprepared to adjust.

4. Gailey saying something to the effect "I don't get involved with the defense".

This defense is going to wreak some havoc this year. I don't think we can overstate just how bad last years coaching and schemes were.

If all you do is line up in your base defense, you cannot rely on talent alone to stop a good offense. It was clear from game 1 against the jets, that Wanny was a horrible d coordinator. He never mixed up his looks. Even if he didnt blitz, he never brought LB's or DBs up to show blitz and back off, and if an offense knows exactly what you are going to do against every formation, they will pick you apart.

Clearly, Wanny's game plan was the reason the Bills D was historically bad. Not just bad, but historically bad. The thing that frustrated me the most was how stubborn he was. He would never make any in game changes. For example, the second half of the Pats game in Buffalo where the Pats were running all over the Bills. Then he would just blame it on the players in the press conferences. He was awful.

But Im pretty sure chan gave him a vote of confidence a few times on record to the press. So as a head coach, Chan is responsible for everyone.

Edited by Bills4

And it's exactly why I agreed with you. I'ts pretty clear to me that a culture change is happening quickly. I'm not saying this is something totally unique to Marrone, just simply saying it's going on. Heck our two free agent signees didn't even know about our playoff drought. I'm not trying to make too big of a deal about it but there's a positive buzz and I'm happy with it. Of course to sustain it we have to play well and win.

Right on. Now cue the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd in 5...4...3...2...

For the life of me, I can't understand the loyalty to Buddy Nix on the part of Russ Brandon. It boggles my mind. His list of mistakes is quite long. During his initial presser, he said that he wasn't the smartest guy in the room. At least he wasn't wrong about everything.

amen. most of the fans posting here have expressed the same sentiment towards Nix. Yet Brandon is allowing this boob to select his players in the draft.

I spent all of last season moaning over Wanny's ineptitude and wondering "What if...?"

We'll find out the "What if" this season, though with a slightly different cast of characters. So far, we've lost more defensive players than we've gained. If Pettine gets more from this D than Wanny - and I expect he will - we'll know Wanny deserves the expletives cast his way.

We'd all like to believe that it's not the players and that another coach would have gotten far better results, but that ain't reality. Our players, particularly our LB group and SS play, were horrendous and they SEVERELY limited what little scheme flexibility Wanny had to begin with. The film doesn't lie. When you see players who are IN good positions to make plays and STILL can't make them, it's the players, not the scheme. When you boil it down, football is about beating the man in front of you. If you can't, you get your ass handed to you more often than not. And there is nothing ANY coach can do about that except replace the players. The idea that Wilson, Barnett, A Williams, K Moore, etc. would have been better FOOTBALL PLAYERS if only coached by somebody else just doesn't hold water given how often they were manhandled and beaten.

GO BILLS!!!

It's a shame some don't understand the point of this thread and must continually throw blame at Buddy Nix. This defense has talent (Buddy's job, by the way). Before the season started last summer nearly everyone anticipated a defense that would rank in the top half of the league, statistically, and a few even dreamed higher, but those were not considered pipe dreams. The key to the season, everyone thought, would be whether Fitz's accuracy issues had been adequately addressed by David Lee.

Wanny screwed the team with his vanilla schemes and uninspired leadership, and Gailey allowed it to happen. They're both gone. If Nix is to blame for hiring Gailey in the first place, fine, but let's go to the way-back machine and recall just how many candidates were clamoring for the job.

I agree 100% with everything on here except the person whose biggest issue is MW. This was the least imaginative, vanilla defense in history. Teams disguise more in the Pro Bowl than Wanny did. He was the problem!! In today's NFL you don't just line up and win with the best personnel. Qbs survey the field and adjust at the line based on what they see. It is a defense's job to show them something that they THINK they see. He was outschemed constantly. It's a chess match and unfortunately Wannstedt didn't know how to play.

I dont even think DW knows how to play checkers, let alone chess!

We'd all like to believe that it's not the players and that another coach would have gotten far better results, but that ain't reality. Our players, particularly our LB group and SS play, were horrendous and they SEVERELY limited what little scheme flexibility Wanny had to begin with. The film doesn't lie. When you see players who are IN good positions to make plays and STILL can't make them, it's the players, not the scheme. When you boil it down, football is about beating the man in front of you. If you can't, you get your ass handed to you more often than not. And there is nothing ANY coach can do about that except replace the players. The idea that Wilson, Barnett, A Williams, K Moore, etc. would have been better FOOTBALL PLAYERS if only coached by somebody else just doesn't hold water given how often they were manhandled and beaten.

GO BILLS!!!

Even if we are to believe everything you wrote, Wanny's answer was to further expose them by failing to disguise schemes or create anything unique to confuse offenses? Please. The guy screwed the pooch and stole Ralph's money.

wannstedt was indeed awful, running the same defense in 2012 that he did in 1992. now he's an assistant special teams coach in TB. anything to stay in the league apparently...

but ultimately, the buck stops with gailey, who hand picked him and gave him total autonomy. gailey needed to find a better d coordinator.