Marathon Bombing and the Media

I think that there have been tons of instances when the media hasn't ran a story because law enforcement or the government indicated that that publication would be deleterious to their efforts at resolution.

If memory serves, the press had a lot of info about the Unabomber that they kept quiet per law enforcement admonition. Same with the Malvo people (DC Snipers). And I think I heard when Woodward was working the Sunday circuit that Katherine Graham was known for sitting on a story if necessary.

But then there are occassions like Nixon's Pentagon papers drama when the press went against government admonitions.

I'm not sure that law enforcement can just say "FU!" But they can make a compelling case for restraint in releasing information that could adversely affect their ability to do their jobs effectively.

Interestingly enough, the FBI warned the news outlets to be careful in their reporting. It seems the fed and state law enforcement community is reaching a boiling point with the CNN fiasco yesterday. I agree with you though...there are times where some media members refrain from breaking unsubstantiated stories...but that was before Twitter - which I consider to be a moronic application for media use.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL...........methinks that you won't hear too much more in the "mainstream" media regarding KC, the Ricin poison sender.

544793_363320307106859_370087030_n.jpg

That will go on page 7 or possibly in the coupon section....Christian and Democrat sending poisonous letters?? Say it ain't so.

John Kerry: In tribute to Boston, crowd at Yankees game sang ‘Sweet Adeline’

By Doug Powers

We needed some comic relief this week, and today the role that usually played by Joe Biden is being filled capably by John Kerry:

Secretary of State John Kerry — who served as a U.S. Senator from Massachusetts from 1985 to 2013 — made a major gaffe Thursday when he botched the name of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” a song that’s a major part of Boston Red Sox tradition.

Kerry called the song “Sweet Adeline” Thursday morning while discussing the New York Yankees crowd’s rendition as a tribute to those affected by the Boston bombing.

It’s understandable that Kerry had the wrong song stuck in his head, because unless I’m mistaken, “Sweet Adeline” is the national anthem of Kyrzakhstan.

Update: On a more serious note, Kerry was asked about Benghazi, and his response was concerning the need to wrap up the investigation because “we got a lot more important things to move on to and get done.”

Sure Johnny.

Edited by B-Man

Dumbest question ever by a news babe - she asks Andrew Napolitano : "What do you suppose is going through the minds of the officers who are looking for this suspect now??"

Andrew Napolitano is a ex judge...how is he qualified to give a response to this. None of us are. And secondly, how is this informative news? These fu$#in shows are nothing more than "Current Affair" or "Entertainment Tonight" (minus the lovely Leeza Gibbons)

These people don't think.

Vanity Fair (yes, Vanity Fair) points out what the NY Post got right in their reporting.....

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2013/04/the-boston-marathon-is-in-boston-and-other-things-the-new-york-post-got-right

• The New York Post correctly reported that the Boston Marathon takes place in Boston, Massachusetts.
    • “Boston” is spelled correctly.
    • The current governor of the state is Deval Patrick.
    • Participants in the Boston Marathon are, in American English, colloquially referred to as “runners.”
    • Massachusetts General Hospital is a medical facility.

Today's tweets;

Frank J. Fleming @IMAO_

Uh oh. Hearing about current events, Biden got a shotgun and locked himself in his room. Don't knock.

David Burge @iowahawkblog

"Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" is Chechen for "Bill Ayers."

DrewM @DrewMTips

If a single Boston Marathon bombing victim says "we need tighter immigration laws" liberals will agree, right?

Popehat @Popehat

NPR: Now that it's established the suspects aren't with the Tea Party, it's important not to speculate about their motives.

On a more serious note:

Chechen Connection Suggests Possible Al-Qaeda Link to Boston Terror Attack

Reports that two brothers from the Russian province of Chechnya who reportedly lived in the United States for several years were behind the April 16 bombings make it likely that they were at least so-called “homegrown terrorists,” possibly radicalized by al-Qaeda propaganda on the Internet. There also is a strong possibility that the two men were somehow recruited and trained by al-Qaeda operatives to stage the Boston attack. This attack is consistent with efforts by al-Qaeda over the last few years to recruit non-Arabs to commit terrorist acts in the West and to use radical Islamist websites to recruit followers in Western countries.

I believe the Boston Marathon attacks were too sophisticated to have been conducted by men this young by themselves. They were probably directed by radical Islamist operatives, possibly al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, via websites and e-mail. It is worth emphasizing that Chechens are anti-Russian, not anti-American. Chechens generally like Americans because the United States has condemned Moscow for its ruthless crackdowns in Chechnya.

The Langley Intelligence Group Network ran a longer article on this story today which can be found here.

Edited by B-Man

How the hell did they have both guys on the chase, and were shooting to kill (getting one), and then locked down the city....and yet...one of them is still at large? Is this last remaining bomber basically some sort of super villain from the tv show 24?

How the hell did they have both guys on the chase, and were shooting to kill (getting one), and then locked down the city....and yet...one of them is still at large? Is this last remaining bomber basically some sort of super villain from the tv show 24?

I heard on CNN (ha) that he drove over his brother's body to escape. If that's true, and who knows with CNN, then I think we're looking at a very dangerous person. Careful and cautious is the best approach right now, the last thing anyone wants is some sort of hostage situation.

I heard on CNN (ha) that he drove over his brother's body to escape. If that's true, and who knows with CNN, then I think we're looking at a very dangerous person. Careful and cautious is the best approach right now, the last thing anyone wants is some sort of hostage situation.

When you have the guy in your sights...you keep him there. I mean, I'm all for caution in terms of not getting police killed by being stupid...but they had him. They saw him. And then...he actually just runs away from a huge firefight with police and now they can't find him? This isn't a video game..usually that is the kind of thing that doesn't happen. Certainly not when he's the most wanted man in America.

When you have the guy in your sights...you keep him there. I mean, I'm all for caution in terms of not getting police killed by being stupid...but they had him. They saw him. And then...he actually just runs away from a huge firefight with police and now they can't find him? This isn't a video game..usually that is the kind of thing that doesn't happen. Certainly not when he's the most wanted man in America.

Believe it or not there are allah kinds of restrictions on "high speed pursuits" and firing on suspects in neighborhoods that may have come into play. That being said, I think they probably wanted to try and keep the kid alive.

(the Allah reference above was an auto correct for "all" that I thought I'd keep for ironic purposes...I think I used irony in the correct context)

Believe it or not there are allah kinds of restrictions on "high speed pursuits" and firing on suspects in neighborhoods that may have come into play. That being said, I think they probably wanted to try and keep the kid alive.

(the Allah reference above was an auto correct for "all" that I thought I'd keep for ironic purposes...I think I used irony in the correct context)

Damn, I was going to jump all over you for that and maybe even sic NoJustice on you.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to hide in a city?