Top 4 needs according to Buddy

freester

For sure - and I'm saying I think we have a solid start on those 4-5 guys again this year. I don't feel great giving you a hard ranking of them or who will be left at 8 but I'm leaning away from oline, lbs, and Dline... Something like this:

1) geno (good chance gone)

2) ej (very likely there)

3) milliner (likely gone)

4) Austin (likely there)

5) vacarro (likely there)

6) Patterson (doesn't fit the MO but like Floyd a need projected close)

Might take 3 through 5 then trade up for ej as a wildcard

Would be my rough list 8 days out which I reserve the right to change

Last year this is what I would have said on draft day

1) Blackmon (certainly gone)

2) Barron (could last but good chance gone)

3) Gilmore (likely he's there, coin flip between he and....

4) kuechly (50-50 whether gone, a hair behind Gilmore could have easily been the other way around)

5) Glenn (if they like him at tackle, not as guard - big victory here in the end)

6) Floyd (because we needed a WR bad, but no sign at all the team liked him)

Picking midround, its near impossible to pick a guy a week out because once one domino falls out of place it messes up everything behind it but I think you can say things like I don't buy warmack and didnt buy decastro. The bama linebackers weren't real for us last year and I don't think ogletree is this year. I would be surprised by any of the tackles and the edge rushers don't strike me as #8 picks. Buddy's actions, public comments, and some consistent rumors I'm weighing etc... Seem to point towards these evaluations in my opinion so far

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote...

So in the end it mainly comes down to 1-7...Once we know who's actually available, things become much clearer...I do think the mystery factor in this Draft is greater due to the outside chance of a Nassib, or Barkley-type pick at #8...

Good grief...Can we just forward this thing 7 days and get it over with?... :lol:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote...

So in the end it mainly comes down to 1-7...Once we know who's actually available, things become much clearer...I do think the mystery factor in this Draft is greater due to the outside chance of a Nassib, or Barkley-type pick at #8...

Good grief...Can we just forward this thing 7 days and get it over with?... :lol:

It's tough with new blood in the coaching roles and some changes in power in the front office but if buddy's making the call and following a similar pattern of what info he's letting get out.... It feels right for now. In a week I may feel different and in 8 days I might be eating crow but I think that's a pretty solid start to the talks unless marrone really goes out on a limb to fight for his guy, or someone else gets the final call

QB, WR, TE,CB

After listening to all the buddy interviews he seems to feel our roster is OK at G and LB. ( LB likely now includes Mark Anderson and Mario Williams as 3-4 pass rushers) I think these will be the positions of our top 4 picks. No doubt QB at 8 (Nassib or Barkley) then WR, CB,TE not necessarily in that order.

After watching the presser on BB.com I am more sure they will take either M. Barkley or Ryan Nassib in the first round. Geno I think he wont be there at 8.

I think they like Barkley as much as or more than Nassib. I would not be mad at all if they pick either one.

After watching the presser on BB.com I am more sure they will take either M. Barkley or Ryan Nassib in the first round. Geno I think he wont be there at 8.

I think they like Barkley as much as or more than Nassib. I would not be mad at all if they pick either one.

Ya, the more I hear, the more I think it will be Barkley at eight or trade down and get Barkley or Nassib in the late first. After that I would get WR in the second and TE/DB/LB in the third.

I am not a big fan of QB at 8 because I don't thing that there is a QB worthy of the 8th pick. My thinking is that you are married to this guy for at least a few years. I am really high on next years class and you are not going to pick QB in the 1st in back to back years with the same staff. If you end up with the next Blaine Gabbert you will miss out on some franchise type guys next year and be further from good than you are now.

If you took a QB at 41 and he didn't work out you could go QB next year in the first.

I think with the way rookie salary caps are established, it is fairly easy in today's NFL to take QBs in the 1st round in back-to-back years. That is why I think Cleveland will be part of the QB Derby this year. They can deal with a Weeden as a bust.

No, but it was far from an obvious thing. He was one of about five guys. Once the draft started and then Barron was off the board it was fairly easy to guess. But before the draft started, there were all kinds of predictions and expectations and he was one of numerous potential picks. And I think we started this by talking about what Buddy was saying in the weeks before the draft.

The later the pick the more that can happen in front of you... That doesn't say anything about how much Buddy gave away. If you can easily predict the pick once on the clock and knew before the draft who they wanted to drop then he gave away too much. Spiller, Dareus, Glilmore were all easy projections based on what the media thought was going to happen with the picks before us.

agreed. The only way to guarantee that you won't get a good young QB is not to draft one.

QBs have no higher propensity for failing than any other position. The chance of one of our top 3 picks being wasted is the same regardless of what position is selected with each of those picks.

I agree with the general premise that a first round pick on any position carries risk of not getting a good player, but I do think that some positions are safer bets than others and QB in particular is more risky because more than other positions success depends on intangible qualities including quick decision making, leadership and poise under pressure. It is easier to correlate physical talent to success at most other positions.

I think with the way rookie salary caps are established, it is fairly easy in today's NFL to take QBs in the 1st round in back-to-back years. That is why I think Cleveland will be part of the QB Derby this year. They can deal with a Weeden as a bust.

That is why I used the same staff line. They may take a new QB but they are an entirely different organization than last draft. I don't think the owner was even there yet. No coach is going to latch himself to a QB and need a new one in a season. Look at Rex still stuck with Sanchez. Coaches link themselves to the guys that they believe to be franchise guys and fairly it unfairly that ultimately determines their fate.

I kind of wish Buddy would shut his mouth. While I often appreciate his honesty, and it makes it more fun as a fan to have an indication about what their strategy will be, it's free information that he gives out to his competitors. I find it stupid.

Does it matter its fairly obvious what are needs are