Buddy Nix and "two or three quarterbacks in this draft"

I disagree completely. I think it is almost a 100% guarantee that the Bills select a QB at 8.

I'm curious to know why you think Barkley is their guy??? I like Barkley, but I haven't seen much linking him to Buffalo.

I'll take a stab as why people might think barkley's their guy. Buddy said Barkley was the number 1 guy last year then got hurt this year. If he thought he was the number 1 guy last year, he has to have liked him a lot. He fits the west coast offense to the tee. I'm not saying I think for sure that Barkley is their guy, but there are reasons to think he might be. I'd be on board with drafting him.

I think it is almost a 100% guarantee that may not be true. ;)

Put it this way: If the Bills have only one QB who is rated in the top 15 overall, which is quite possible, and that QB is gone at #8, which is also quite possible, and they have 2-3 players at positions of need in their top 5-8 overall who are still available at #8, I would bet anything they take one of those 2-3 guys and not the QB.

The only exception to that rule, IMO, if the two players, rated 5-8 overall, are available at #8 in a position of need happen to be Womack and Cooper, the guards. I highly doubt we take an OG. But I also highly doubt that both Womack and Cooper are in the top 10 on our board. They may be worthy of it and would be on other boards, I just don't think Buddy rates OGs that highly.

That could be the case. If it were a different position, other than QB, it makes a lot of sense. Regarding QBs, if they covet 1-4 guys and don't think those guys will make it to round 2, they might want to secure one of those guys in the first. Get the QB that you want, not the QBs that are left over.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a stab as why people might think barkley's their guy. Buddy said Barkley was the number 1 guy last year then got hurt this year. If he thought he was the number 1 guy last year, he has to have liked him a lot. He fits the west coast offense to the tee. I'm not saying I think for sure that Barkley is their guy, but there are reasons to think he might be. I'd be on board with drafting him.

First, I really got the impression by exactly what they said about Barkley was that he was not their guy.

Second, I think when Buddy said that he was referring to pundits saying Barkley was #1 and not his own personal rankings,

This "reach" crap is a monster borne entirely out of the rise of pre-draft magazines and outlets like ESPN. Does anyone ever remember picks being labeled "reaches" back in the 80s? It's complete b.s. and the wisest organizations don't give a damn about what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay say about their picks. Unfortunately, all of the media pick up on the nonsense and the GMs are forced to repeatedly answer questions about it -- which no doubt gets old.

I don't think Buddy is afraid of being wrong...which is why I see a QB coming off the board at #8.

"Reaching for need" has been part of the lexicon as long as I can remember. If anything, the Kipers of the world picked it up from GMs and scouts along the way.

GO BILLS!!!

Barkley and Geno

I totally agree. I think it will be Barkley. Barkley is well thought of by Marrone. "If he doesn't like what's going on when they (take away) the deep vertical threats, he can come right back to the backs," Marrone said. "That's one of the things you see with the top guys in the NFL."

After all the pre draft anaylis I have seen on ESPN and NFL network, reading draft publications and web sites, I have come to the conclusion that there is no "franchise" QB in this draft. No stud, can't miss type like Andrew Luck. What you have is 3 or 4 guys that will have solid careers plus 2 or 3 part time starters/career back ups. I don't forsee many pro bowls out of this group. If they are on teams with a good running game and a rock solid defense, one may be a winner in the Super Bowl. Bills luck will be to impove enough this win 8 games this season, thus out of contention for the hot franchise QBs coming out next season.

"If you don't already have a franchise QB, you don't pass one up."

-Jacksonville in 2011

-NY Jets in 2009

-Cincinnati in 1999

And neither did we in any of those three years and still passed on them too.