Dickerson now at WR (BB.com has him listed as FB/TE)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that Nelson has a great knack for getting open, runs great routes and has great hands. ;)

That is his reputation among Bills fans, and it all may be true to some extent, but it would never make him more than a 4th WR at best. Nelson was most effective in the 2011 season playing from the hybrid role, usually with three true WRs on the field. In this Gailey formation, Nelson was difficult to cover, often got mismatches due to his size and the need for the primnary DBs to cover other receivers. He was basically an undersized TE. Once Nelson was forced into the slot due to injuries, his production went way down. He started 2012 as the designated slot guy, but was hurt so early we will never know if he would have been effective. I suspect not. Maybe he will prove me wrong in Cleveland but I would not bet on it, despite his good hands and route running. The Bills needed an upgrade. I am not sure if Dickerson is it, but I do see potential because of his superior speed and bulk.

That is his reputation among Bills fans, and it all may be true to some extent, but it would never make him more than a 4th WR at best. Nelson was most effective in the 2011 season playing from the hybrid role, usually with three true WRs on the field. In this Gailey formation, Nelson was difficult to cover, often got mismatches due to his size and the need for the primnary DBs to cover other receivers. He was basically an undersized TE. Once Nelson was forced into the slot due to injuries, his production went way down. He started 2012 as the designated slot guy, but was hurt so early we will never know if he would have been effective. I suspect not. Maybe he will prove me wrong in Cleveland but I would not bet on it, despite his good hands and route running. The Bills needed an upgrade. I am not sure if Dickerson is it, but I do see potential because of his superior speed and bulk.

I agree to some extent. He is best used in a four WR set or three WR with a TE often split a little. But he is very effective at that. IMO, his production went down in 2011 not so much as the position change but the way the entire team went downhill when we lost OL and Fred and Fitz was hurt and Chandler was hurt. I don't think he can play a full time role, or play outside though. What he does, however, is very valuable and he does it very well.

I don't get all the hate for Dickerson.. No one is claiming the guy is going to be an All-Pro WR.. but, can be a difference maker for the offense. Every team needs a move the chains option outside of your primary WR and #1 RB. I love the assertion that the guy has no heart or can't pick up the game. You know this how? From his 9 career receptions? Give the guy a chance.

I don't get all the hate for Dickerson.. No one is claiming the guy is going to be an All-Pro WR.. but, can be a difference maker for the offense. Every team needs a move the chains option outside of your primary WR and #1 RB. I love the assertion that the guy has no heart or can't pick up the game. You know this how? From his 9 career receptions? Give the guy a chance.

If your avatar would give that poor football a break, I might take what you have to say more seriously. :)

One of the better avatars on the board I have to say.

If your avatar would give that poor football a break, I might take what you have to say more seriously. :)

One of the better avatars on the board I have to say.

seconded.

my high school coach used to tell us that is what we looked like during certain drills.

the other most common expressions used were the "chinese fire drill" and the always popular "are you sh!##ing me?"

if i remember correctly, he is built like a bruiser back. definately not like a speed back, but not quite as big as a fb. in limited action last year he looked like he ran fast and strong but did not look shifty or quick. so if the new coaches can find a place for a guy with good straight-line speed and a bit of power, then he might surprise a few people.

Reminds me of Pierre Garcon.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I did try to pay attention to DD when he was on the field last year because it wasn't that often. I expected Gailey to make use of him more as he could be a great mismatch. The guy was fast, weak blocker but getting better and when the ball was thrown to him he seemed surprised. Thats if i recall with any clarity whatsoever : )

The coaching feels the can use him. I am cool with it. i think the guy can make plays if he could develop some blocking skills which he admitted last year he needed to work on.

But heck i am cool with drafting the major playmaker T Austin at 8.

I think Marrones Bills are going to be about messing with the enemy's head with disguised plays , mismatches and up tempo play to get us in the playoffs. ...And Beyond

interesting tell that they not only signed him again but have changed his position and number.

Lordy lets hope this plan comes to fruition