Buffalo Bills Draft Needs per Pro Football Talk

I've found ProFootballTalk does a real nice, thorough job on their "Team Needs:" series.

I'm less impressed with their Bills writeup probably because I'm much more familiar with the Bills so what they write doesn't shed any new light on what we as hard core Bills fans already know.

However if you are trying to figure out what other teams might do in the draft, I highly recommend catching up on their "Team Needs:" series.

The Bills:

Swapping Fitzpatrick for Kevin Kolb may actually be the textbook definition of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but it was important for them to admit defeat after giving Fitz a big contract so they could make finding a new signal caller the priority it should have always been.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/team-needs-buffalo-bills-3/

I've found ProFootballTalk does a real nice, thorough job on their "Team Needs:" series.

I'm less impressed with their Bills writeup probably because I'm much more familiar with the Bills so what they write doesn't shed any new light on what we as hard core Bills fans already know.

However if you are trying to figure out what other teams might do in the draft, I highly recommend catching up on their "Team Needs:" series.

The Bills:

Swapping Fitzpatrick for Kevin Kolb may actually be the textbook definition of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but it was important for them to admit defeat after giving Fitz a big contract so they could make finding a new signal caller the priority it should have always been.

http://profootballta...uffalo-bills-3/

Sounds to me as if he thinks that the Bills will draft Nassib due to the Syracuse connection.

I'm trying to remember who said this before......

Sounds to me as if he thinks that the Bills will draft Nassib due to the Syracuse connection.

I'm trying to remember who said this before......

Yeah for informed Bills fans, nothing of great shakes in the blurb.

But like I said, for those trying to predict what other teams will do (and how that might affect who's available when the Bills pick), it's a pretty cool series.

Yeah for informed Bills fans, nothing of great shakes in the blurb.

But like I said, for those trying to predict what other teams will do (and how that might affect who's available when the Bills pick), it's a pretty cool series.

It was a good article SJB. I am just having fun.

I do have a question for you: If your life depended on it, who do you think that the Bills will draft in round 1? Not who you want them to draft mind you, who you THINK they will draft.

As for me, I have 2 predictions: Nassib or Milliner, And I am am leaning way more towards Nassib. If I was making the call, I would take Barkley if he is there. Maybe he can be in a class with Matt Ryan, I don't know. But imo he will be gone when we select.

I do have a question for you: If your life depended on it, who do you think that the Bills will draft in round 1? Not who you want them to draft mind you, who you THINK they will draft.

As for me, I have 2 predictions: Nassib or Milliner, And I am am leaning way more towards Nassib. If I was making the call, I would take Barkley if he is there. Maybe he can be in a class with Matt Ryan, I don't know. But imo he will be gone when we select.

i know its popular opinion but i really dont think we take nassib at 8. we will see, but i would be pretty surprised.

Tough call Bill.

The Bills have invested very heavily in defense during the Nix drafts and yet I think that's where all the best values are at #8. But to go defense yet again after having already spent high picks on Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, D'Norris Searcy and Gilmore would be for Nix, an admission of poor drafting.

Still when you look at the offensive side, none of the skill position players rate that spot IMO and I don't believe the Bills will draft an O-lineman at #8.

You didn't give me the leeway for a trade scenario and I do think the Bills will try to entertain offers for their pick.

In answer to your question if the Bills stay put, they will take the best defensive player who happens to slide to them among Milliner, Jordan, or even possibly Jarvis Jones or Ansah. If none of those players are available I think they'll pull the trigger on a QB.

Maybe it's because Manuel is my personal favorite QB that I project that the Bills also like him.

People will disagree strongly but I can definitely see the Bills taking Manuel at #8 if the defensive options dry up and no trade materializes.

Tough call Bill.

The Bills have invested very heavily in defense during the Nix drafts and yet I think that's where all the best values are at #8. But to go defense yet again after having already spent high picks on Troup, Carrington, Dareus, Aaron Williams, Kelvin Sheppard, D'Norris Searcy and Gilmore would be for Nix, an admission of poor drafting.

Still when you look at the offensive side, none of the skill position players rate that spot IMO and I don't believe the Bills will draft an O-lineman at #8.

You didn't give me the leeway for a trade scenario and I do think the Bills will try to entertain offers for their pick.

In answer to your question if the Bills stay put, they will take the best defensive player who happens to slide to them among Milliner, Jordan, or even possibly Jarvis Jones or Ansah. If none of those players are available I think they'll pull the trigger on a QB.

Maybe it's because Manuel is my personal favorite QB that I project that the Bills also like him.

People will disagree strongly but I can definitely see the Bills taking Manuel at #8 if the defensive options dry up and no trade materializes.

Drafting a Defender at 8 isn't an admission of poor drafting if that's where the best value is when their pick comes up. If an OLB is the highest rated on their board, why take a lesser player at another position?

Drafting a Defender at 8 isn't an admission of poor drafting if that's where the best value is when their pick comes up. If an OLB is the highest rated on their board, why take a lesser player at another position?

I agree that it's not a reason to not take the best player available if he plays defense.

I still maintain though that taking a defensive player at #8 regardless of it being the right thing to do is still an implicit admission of poor drafting. Especially when piled on top of the free agent signings of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson.

Investing 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, a 4th rounder and two high-priced free agents on defense in 3 years time is probably supposed to mean that you have a good defense that shouldn't have to spend another first round pick on defense.

I agree that it's not a reason to not take the best player available if he plays defense.

I still maintain though that taking a defensive player at #8 regardless of it being the right thing to do is still an implicit admission of poor drafting. Especially when piled on top of the free agent signings of Mario Williams and Mark Anderson.

Investing 2 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, a 4th rounder and two high-priced free agents on defense in 3 years time is probably supposed to mean that you have a good defense that shouldn't have to spend another first round pick on defense.

Drafting Milliner, as much as I like him as a player (he is way better than Gilmore) would not be an admission of anything. It would be a mere continuation of stupidity. If they draft Milliner, and he is as good as I think he is, it would still probably not result in more wins. This is a qb driven league, and we do not have a good qb.

Gone are the days of Jack Tatum taking a receivers head off over the middle. Now, there are even rules which will hurt power running backs. So, the Bills need a QB to even compete, let alone to sell tickets.

This board can be telling at times. Look at the number of posts in the Nassib thread. And, look at the positive reaction towards Marrone, a coach who took an irrelevant team to a so-so record. These guys will sell tickets until they suck, which sadly, might not take long.

I for one hope that the Bills take a new direction. They need to keep up with the times, and stop wasting picks on RBs and DBs. If they do not, they will continue to lose game after game.

Aside from that, I hope that Brandon can, or even wants to make decisions which will result in winning football games, and that his moves are not driven by profit for Mr. Wilson, let alone incompetence, which he has already displayed time and again.

The more I read about the Pettine defense, I am leaning more and more away from LB in RD1. The signing of Lawson and Dowtin, the workout of Chavis Williams this coming Tuesday, Mario saying he's OK with a rushbacker role, and the returning to form of Mark Anderson make me think we'll wait until later for LB. They brought in Jones, Minter and Ogletree, and in a trade-down, they're still in play. Minter made the highest percentage of his team's tackles.

Pettine's also going to need 2 very good CBs; I believe he has one. He'll need 2 very good safeties; he has one. Why not consider Vaccaro who can play both? There will be lots of nickel and dime in that defense. There is some talk that Aaron Williams will shift to a safety role. Bills have investigated 5 Safeties (visits/Pro Days) including Vaccaro, to consider their options down the line. That doesn't include Shamarko Thomas from Syracuse. They could trade down a bit (#10-14 range) and still get Vaccaro.

A versatile pass-covering/run-covering SILB is needed for Pettine as well. Minter will be a Minnesota trade-down option in the late 1st. Sean Porter in RD3 or Kiko Alonso in RD4 have value.

We need a versatile TE for Hackett--one where the D doesn't know pre-snap if he's in-line to block or run a dump-off. That's not Vance McDonald, my earlier RD3 pick, or Mychal Rivera, my RD4 alternate. But it is Harvard's Kyle Juszczyk in RD4.

So my draft board looks like this:

RD1---8-----------FS Kenny Vaccaro----

RD1-10-14-------SILB Minter---------------WR De'Andre Hopkins

RD2---41----------QB Nassib---------------QB Manuel---------------WR Hunter----------------ILB/OLB Arthur Brown

RD3---71----------ILB Sean Porter---------QB Tyler Bray-----------TE Vance McDonald----QB Matt Scott;--------- QB Glennon

RD4---105--------TE Kyle Juszczyk--------QB Landry Jones-------SILB Kiko Alonso

RD5---143--------OG JC Tretter------------TE Mychal Rivera

RD6—177--------TE Ryan Griffin

RD7-UDFA-

WR Zach Rogers

SS Cooper Taylor

WR Alec Lemon

WR Marcus Sales

OLB Ja’Gared Davis, SMU link

FS Malcolm Bronson, McNeese State

SS Jonathan Meeks, Clemson

WR Russell Shepard, LSU

QB Jeff Tuel, Washington State

OG Zack Chibane, Syracuse

TE David Stevens, Syracuse

TE Ryan Griffin, Connecticut

The more I read about the Pettine defense, I am leaning more and more away from LB in RD1. The signing of Lawson and Dowtin, the workout of Chavis Williams this coming Tuesday, Mario saying he's OK with a rushbacker role, and the returning to form of Mark Anderson make me think we'll wait until later for LB. They brought in Jones, Minter and Ogletree, and in a trade-down, they're still in play. Minter made the highest percentage of his team's tackles.

Pettine's also going to need 2 very good CBs; I believe he has one. He'll need 2 very good safeties; he has one. Why not consider Vaccaro who can play both? There will be lots of nickel and dime in that defense. There is some talk that Aaron Williams will shift to a safety role. Bills have investigated 5 Safeties (visits/Pro Days) including Vaccaro, to consider their options down the line. That doesn't include Shamarko Thomas from Syracuse. They could trade down a bit (#10-14 range) and still get Vaccaro.

A versatile pass-covering/run-covering SILB is needed for Pettine as well. Minter will be a Minnesota trade-down option in the late 1st. Sean Porter in RD3 or Kiko Alonso in RD4 have value.

We need a versatile TE for Hackett--one where the D doesn't know pre-snap if he's in-line to block or run a dump-off. That's not Vance McDonald, my earlier RD3 pick, or Mychal Rivera, my RD4 alternate. But it is Harvard's Kyle Juszczyk in RD4.

So my draft board looks like this:

RD1---8-----------FS Kenny Vaccaro----

RD1-10-14-------SILB Minter---------------WR De'Andre Hopkins

RD2---41----------QB Nassib---------------QB Manuel---------------WR Hunter----------------ILB/OLB Arthur Brown

RD3---71----------ILB Sean Porter---------QB Tyler Bray-----------TE Vance McDonald----QB Matt Scott;--------- QB Glennon

RD4---105--------TE Kyle Juszczyk--------QB Landry Jones-------SILB Kiko Alonso

RD5---143--------OG JC Tretter------------TE Mychal Rivera

RD6—177--------TE Ryan Griffin

RD7-UDFA-

WR Zach Rogers

SS Cooper Taylor

WR Alec Lemon

WR Marcus Sales

OLB Ja’Gared Davis, SMU link

FS Malcolm Bronson, McNeese State

SS Jonathan Meeks, Clemson

WR Russell Shepard, LSU

QB Jeff Tuel, Washington State

OG Zack Chibane, Syracuse

TE David Stevens, Syracuse

TE Ryan Griffin, Connecticut

Only to counter, and since you've likely seen enough film...

I am quite comfortable with Voccaro in the first. If he converts to CB it worries me that we have two UTexas CB/S's when we need a CB or a S. Unfortunately there is not a CB good enough to throw the weight behind at 8...