All your children are belong to us

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families and recognize that kids belong to whole communities."

Hard to spin that.

She comes right out and says it.

Your Kids Aren’t Your Own The family is a stubborn obstacle to the great collective effort.

pic_giant_040913_SM_family.jpg

The TV cable-news network MSNBC runs sermonettes from its anchors during commercial breaks. They are like public-service announcements illuminating the progressive mind, and perhaps none has ever been as revealing and remarkable as the one cut by weekend host Melissa Harris-Perry.

Harris-Perry set out to explain what is, by her lights, the failure to invest adequately in public education. She located the source of the problem in the insidious idea of parental responsibility for children.

{snip}

Her statement wasn’t an aside on live television. She didn’t misspeak. The spot was shot, produced, and aired without, apparently, raising any alarm bells. No one with influence raised his or her hand and said, “Should we really broadcast something that sounds so outlandish?”

The foundation of the Harris-Perry view is that society is a large-scale kibbutz. The title of Hillary Clinton’s bestseller in the 1990s expressed the same point in comforting folk wisdom: “It Takes a Village.”

As the ultimate private institution, the family is a stubborn obstacle to the great collective effort. Insofar as people invest in their own families, they are holding out on the state and unacceptably privileging their own kids over the children of others. These parents are selfish, small-minded, and backward. “Once it’s everybody’s responsibility,” Harris-Perry said of child-rearing, “and not just the households, then we start making better investments.”

This impulse toward the state as über-parent is based on a profound fallacy and a profound truth. The fallacy is that anyone can care about someone else’s children as much as his own. The former Texas Republican senator Phil Gramm liked to illustrate the hollowness of professions to the contrary with a story. He told a woman, “My educational policies are based on the fact that I care more about my children than you do.” She said, “No, you don’t.” Gramm replied, “Okay: What are their names?”

Edited by B-Man

She’s sticking to that story, writing today Why caring for children is not just a parent’s job.

Harris-Perry throws in the veritable kitchen sink of arguments, a little of caring for the children, her own experience as a Tulane professor, her upbringing, slavery, Native Americans, Newtown, and, er, reproductive rights.

From start to finish, she plays the victim of right-wing persecution, even closing with a link to Matthew 5:44, where Jesus commands his followers to "love [their] enemies and pray for those who persecute [them]."

lol

So if children belong to everyone, I don't suspect that Ms. Harris-Perry have a problem with me smacking the **** out of her daughter when the child annoys me in public by existing.

Do you have the right to smack the schit out of your own children when they annoy you, in public or not?

Wait a second... that's OUR thing! That's the last time I share ANY gossip I hear at Borg meetings with Melissa. Sheesh. :censored:

She’s sticking to that story, writing today Why caring for children is not just a parent’s job.

Harris-Perry throws in the veritable kitchen sink of arguments, a little of caring for the children, her own experience as a Tulane professor, her upbringing, slavery, Native Americans, Newtown, and, er, reproductive rights.

From start to finish, she plays the victim of right-wing persecution, even closing with a link to Matthew 5:44, where Jesus commands his followers to "love [their] enemies and pray for those who persecute [them]."

lol

That's hands down one of the most hilarious things I've read in a while. Thank you.

The generation raised by the collective will have no need for possessions and the trappings of capitalism. These "new people" will embrace the collective mindset of their own accord...for about a generation and a half.

How many times must this experiment be conducted?

Sounds suspiciously like: parents are "to raise their children in the spirit of the Moral Code of the Builder of Communism, to attend to their physical development and their instruction in and preparation for socially useful activity."

Which, of course, comes to us courtesy of the 1968 Principles of Legislation on Marriage and the Family of the USSR and the Union Republics.