Kolb vs. Fitz???

honestly i dont see an upgrade here. both guys are bottom tier nfl starting caliber players. fitz has better td and compl% numbers (counting only his time in bflo), while kolb has lower pick% and isnt horrendously inaccurate on long passes

the one difference is that kolb is a little younger with less playing experience so he may still have upside, im not sure fitz can get any better at this point

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a supporter of Fitz and believe he could have succeeded if Gailey featured more Spiller and less Fitz. He was good enough to make the playoffs last year if not for a historically bad defense. And yes it was Graham's fault they lost against New England.

My take - is Kolb an upgrade over Fitz?

9-12 in 21 starts, 59% comp%, 28 TD, 25 INT, just over 5000 career yards

23-41, 59%, 92 TD 81 INT, 14K yards

Neither one has a cannon arm.

Did they just replace the same guy with a cheaper option??? I think all they have done is replace a guy who had a limited ceiling with a guy we hope was limited more by Arizona's offensive line than his own abilitities... Flame away at my loyalty to Fitz. I will hope Kolb does well and I would honeslty rather have him than Flynn, Alex Smith, or even Caron Palmer.

Fitzpatrick just had to go. The phrase isn't used much anymore, but Fitz is "just good enough to get you beat" because on good days he can keep you in games but he can't win them at the end. It wasn't a mental issue. The guy simply can't complete the downfield throws necessary to keep defenses honest in a 2 minute drill.

Kolb is by no means an upgrade. He can't even keep himself in the game....let alone the entire team. Any fanbase that has had to endure Rob Johnson and Trent Edwards should know this. I know his OL sucked, but it's not like Rocky Balboa/Apollo Creed beatings that Rob Johnson exposed himself too anymore. You can't abuse a QB like that anymore. The play that tore Kolb up last year looked completely harmless.

Is he really cheaper when you factor in the $10 million we have to pay Fitz this year for not playing for us? He'd better be a significant upgrade to justify the overall cost of this move.

You are confusing cash payments and cap hit.

And if kolb plays well enough to reach max value of his contract, he was hopefully a large upgrade.

Edited by NoSaint

yeah IF kolb earns his total contract then yeah he sure as hell will be an upgrade. im very confident buddy made sure of that. i just seriously doubt he has it in him. but i sure hope im wrong. it would be really nice for once for the bills to scoop the league on somebody they all passed up. hey it could happen

. wha.gif . wha.gif . wha.gif

yeah IF kolb earns his total contract then yeah he sure as hell will be an upgrade. im very confident buddy made sure of that. i just seriously doubt he has it in him. but i sure hope im wrong. it would be really nice for once for the bills to scoop the league on somebody they all passed up. hey it could happen

Damn straight it could happen. May aggrevate half the people here too. I'm not one of em. I'll take Marrone's pick over the nay-saying populous of tbd. imnotworthy.gif

Flame away at my loyalty to Fitz. I will hope Kolb does well and I would honeslty rather have him than Flynn, Alex Smith, or even Carson Palmer.

How about Arnold Palmer?

This is the first I've heard of this comparison.

:lol:

I looked. Was it posted elsewhere? I was in Europe when he was signed and haven't had a cahnce to add my meaningless two cents...

:lol:

sometimes, you just have to turn the page even if you don't gain a ton by doing so.

No truer words spoken than this ^^^

I personally think you have a better arm than Fitz. And I don't know anything about your arm. But from what I saw of Fitz Ill take my chances.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

The similarities between the two are eerie.

For example:

Both Kolb and Fitz are 4-letters long.

Kolb played for Arizona, Fitz lived in Arizona.

Fitz's nickname is "The Amish Rifle," Kolb once bought a rifle from the Amish.

Kolb killed a boar by stabbing it in the heart (true story) while Fitz bored the heart out of Bills' fans for the past 2 years.

Fitz was a 7th rd pick, Kolb once threw 7 picks in one game (may or may not be true).

Both men have spouses named after singing stars - Liza for Fitz, Whitney for Kolb.

Fitz went to Harvard, an ivy league school, as a child, Kolb had ivy growing on his school.

It is clear that Fitz=Kolb and Kolb=Fitz.

Spooky...

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

. wha.gif . wha.gif . wha.gif

Uh oh! Emoticon Police!

Unauthorized Intruder in sector 27. I repeat, Unauthorized emoticon in sector 27.

Comparing the tangibles and stats are easy, but whats not is mental make up. IMHO, Kolb has more tangibles but Fitz has that gunslinger mentality mixed with a pretty good football acumen. I think that's what got him to be a statistically middle tier NFL starter. My concern is this is where Kolb is lacking. I'm personally glad Fitz is gone, but Kolb seems to lack the competitive fire.

Hmmmm..... I see a bubble guy that managed to work his way into the league barely and had flashes of isolated success, but limited by capability, vs a more highly touted higher pick that has yet to live up to expectations.

Who knows if the end result is the same, but when Fitz stopped improving, it was game over.

Did they just replace the same guy with a cheaper option??? I think all they have done is replace a guy who had a limited ceiling with a guy we hope was limited more by Arizona's offensive line than his own abilitities... Flame away at my loyalty to Fitz. I will hope Kolb does well and I would honeslty rather have him than Flynn, Alex Smith, or even Caron Palmer.

Ha! Tying threads together - "if you have to debate whether QB A is an improvement on QB B, at best you've got a guy who 'didn't quite work out as planned' "

Not clear on the cheaper thing, but I do think you have one of the points - they feel they saw enough of Fitz to define his limits rather clearly, while there's still some debate about how Kolb could do with an OL. I think another factor is that Fitz hasn't played much in the kind of WCO Marrone may want to run, while Kolb was a WCO guy in Philly.

Hmmmm..... I see a bubble guy that managed to work his way into the league barely and had flashes of isolated success, but limited by capability, vs a more highly touted higher pick that has yet to live up to expectations.

Who knows if the end result is the same, but when Fitz stopped improving, it was game over.

I could be totally wrong, but I think by trying to fix Fitz' mechanics, they broke him.

Remind me of a stretch of more than a month fitz played consistently well? If it was never there, did they break it?

His arm was worse in 2012 than in 2011. His motion was ugly, everything was ugly in 2012. Lee messed him up, he obviously didn't go from Manning to Tebow, but there was a noticeable difference.

Anyway, on-topic, Kolb is way less tough than RF but statistically similar, with similar functions on the field. He's not really an upgrade if we account RF toughness and mobility for that little bit of armstrength. Rather have RF for 16 games, than Kolb for 6, and Thigpen for 10. I'm not mad or happy, just apathetic really.

On another note, I swear, the next person that says we have a top 5 O-line, I'm just going to scream.

His arm was worse in 2012 than in 2011. His motion was ugly, everything was ugly in 2012. Lee messed him up, he obviously didn't go from Manning to Tebow, but there was a noticeable difference.

Anyway, on-topic, Kolb is way less tough than RF but statistically similar, with similar functions on the field. He's not really an upgrade if we account RF toughness and mobility for that little bit of armstrength. Rather have RF for 16 games, than Kolb for 6, and Thigpen for 10. I'm not mad or happy, just apathetic really.

On another note, I swear, the next person that says we have a top 5 O-line, I'm just going to scream.

Yet fitz had the best rating of his career, was close enough in yardage, had tied for his best 24 tds still but cut out 7 ints compared to 2011, same ypa... One could argue it was the best year of his career statistically speaking.

But when it comes down to it, he's never strung together more than a couple good games. Even when he's remembered for his hot start in2011, he wasnt that stellar.

Damn straight it could happen. May aggrevate half the people here too.

despite the admitted incredible amout of panty bunched whining that goes on around issues like this, if kolb starts stringing wins together im pretty sure virtually everybody will pretend like they knew he would work out all along

Hop in the taurus, it's on like a mofo!

Woo Hoo!!!

Gun it!!!

despite the admitted incredible amout of panty bunched whining that goes on around issues like this, if kolb starts stringing wins together im pretty sure virtually everybody will pretend like they knew he would work out all along

Well for the record, most people here liked the Kolb signing:

• Yes (185 votes [66.07%])

• No (50 votes [17.86%])

• Undecided/Not sure (45 votes [16.07%])

Not the same thing as saying they thought he would succeed but still.

People are soon going to figure out how fitz made that oline look like a top-5 line. I am pretty sure kolb is going to take at least twice as many sacks this year.

It's my observation JR that a lot of people here overrate the Bills O-line and a lot of people underrate them. It seems like most of the statements about that unit are exaggerated as if people are really invested in their opinions.

When you consider both pass blocking and run blocking, there's no way they're not a top ten unit. No way.

That's how I would put it.