Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Look at the interest this post has generated. Ticket sales? Nassib will be selected at #8. I hope they don't trade up to draft him.

Jimmy Spags and Crayonz (or 4merper4mer as he's now known) also generate lots of posts...

Bill, you know better than to think message board discussion has anything to do with ticket sales.

If they pick Nassib, it's because they think they can win with him.

Mark my words - Barkley is their number 1 QB.

Please don't take any offense to this...because Kirby has proven that he has at least some level of inside info in the past (broke the Kolb visit on this board well before anyone else did), I'm more inclined to believe his QB board than yours.

His says Barkley is No. 5 on their list.

Do us all a favor and stop with your incoherent, meaningless posts,

sounds to me like you may need to find a new football team...

Now this is something we agree on.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt they will pick Nassib at #8. They should trade down and pick him later, but Buddy isn't smart enough to work the draft.

As I attempt to explain to every poster that demands a trade down, what happens if:

- nobody wants to trade up to 8 because there isn't a player that they covet?

- somebody wants to trade up, but their offer is meager in nature (i.e. only a 5th round pick to move back 10 spots)?

- the team successfully completes a trade, and the player(s) that they want are gone when their pick comes up?

The above are all realistic, which is why trading down is a risk. Also, understand that, by moving out of the top 10, you are effectively giving away a chance to take a top 10 talent...not like the Bills need any top 10 talents on this team, right?

I'd be shocked if they pick Nassib at #8

Especially since he would be there in the 2nd. I think that once he falls out of the first his value drops because there are guys with higher upside. Kind of like a Weeden. I think teams (and myself) would rather take a shot on a guy in the 2nd or 3rd on a guy with a higher ceiling. I think a guy like Wilson, Bray, or Glennon is worth a day 2 shot because of their ceiling before Nassib.

If Barkley is truly 5th on our big board just behind Nassib, I would guess the FO feels the same. In no particular order they most likely see Geno, Manuel, Glennon, and Wilson above Nassib. I would put Barkley ahead of him as well.

Yeah but when somebody talks about Barkley destroying the cuse and Nassib 11 tds 1 int, yeah 5tds last year,you start making excuses. Your football knowledge is none.

People fail to realize that SU had one of the top 20 defenses in the country last year. SU Defense is way better than Usc's, which makes Barkleys result even better and Nassibs worse

As I attempt to explain to every poster that demands a trade down, what happens if:

- nobody wants to trade up to 8 because there isn't a player that they covet?

- somebody wants to trade up, but their offer is meager in nature (i.e. only a 5th round pick to move back 10 spots)?

- the team successfully completes a trade, and the player(s) that they want are gone when their pick comes up?

The above are all realistic, which is why trading down is a risk. Also, understand that, by moving out of the top 10, you are effectively giving away a chance to take a top 10 talent...not like the Bills need any top 10 talents on this team, right?

Every year there are multiple first round trades. Good GMs know how to work the draft and to obtain value and extra picks if necessary. There is always a risk that a player may not be available at a lower slot, but by that reasoning we must trade up to #1 to obtain Nassib. The Bills have so may needs that extra picks are essential.

Look at the interest this post has generated. Ticket sales? Nassib will be selected at #8. I hope they don't trade up to draft him.

Bill, I think you are a really good poster but this post sounds like a crazy person. The Bills are going to draft Nassib to generate ticket sales??? :doh: From the metropolis of Syracuse??? Because obviously once the Bills conquer that market, Ralph will be able to raise ticket prices to pad his pockets and pay for his new mansion in LA, where he will move the Bills.

If the Bills want to generate ticket sales (which never is a problem until December), they would pick a guy like Smith or Barkley because of their resumes. If a coach is given his first job at the NFL level, despite what you make think, he is doing everything in his power to win. If Marrone believes enough in RN to draft him and bank his job on him, then it means a lot.

Every year there are multiple first round trades. Good GMs know how to work the draft and to obtain value and extra picks if necessary. There is always a risk that a player may not be available at a lower slot, but by that reasoning we must trade up to #1 to obtain Nassib. The Bills have so may needs that extra picks are essential.

Here is our fundamental disagreement. In my opinion, the only thing that's essential is getting their picks right. Quality over quantity...find the right QB, an impact defender, and some reliable pass catchers and this team will look markedly different in a year.

Bill, I think you are a really good poster but this post sounds like a crazy person. The Bills are going to draft Nassib to generate ticket sales??? :doh: From the metropolis of Syracuse??? Because obviously once the Bills conquer that market, Ralph will be able to raise ticket prices to pad his pockets and pay for his new mansion in LA, where he will move the Bills.

If the Bills want to generate ticket sales (which never is a problem until December), they would pick a guy like Smith or Barkley because of their resumes. If a coach is given his first job at the NFL level, despite what you make think, he is doing everything in his power to win. If Marrone believes enough in RN to draft him and bank his job on him, then it means a lot.

Agreed on all counts. The T.O. signing was for ticket sales, it generated a lot of buzz and it worked.

Drafting Nassib, particularly at #8, would have no buzz and therefore no positive impact on ticket sales.

If the Bills draft Nassib it will only be because Marrone really wants him which would be a good sign. Particularly if you think Marrone is a good coach and judge of talent.

This seems like a ridiculous comparison given the different stages of their careers but I think its a better way to compare QB's than stats and highlights.

1.) Imagine you were starting the playoffs today. Who would you rather have as your starting QB? Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?

2.) Apply the same logic you used in the first question and decide which QB you would rather start the playoffs with. Geno Smith or Ryan Nassib?

For me its Ryan Nassib.

1) Brady and it's not even close. Manning hasn't been a good playoff QB and while Brady has struggled of late, he might be the 2nd best postseason QB to Montana.

2) Smith and it's not really close. As much as we try to make it all about the QB (and there is no doubt they play a huge part), football is still the ultimate team game. If you gave Smith or Barkley even a top 30 defense, they are challenging for a national championship. I think Nassib is solid but he was part of a solid team in a much weaker conference.

Here is our fundamental disagreement. In my opinion, the only thing that's essential is getting their picks right. Quality over quantity...find the right QB, an impact defender, and some reliable pass catchers and this team will look markedly different in a year.

You make it sound so simple, but this has not been simple for the bills. More picks would give us more chances to hit on some of the picks.

According to Kirby Jackson who purports some inside info, Nassib is 4th on the Bills QB board:

If anyone knows much about corporate policy, especially on sensitive matters... and certailny an NFL team's draft startegy, you have to believe there are probably only 3 (maybe 4) people in the entire Bills Organization that actually have intimate knowledge of this so called "big board". Brandon, Nix & Whaley, and perhaps Marrone. That info must be held under lock and key and the strictest of confidence. They certainly may gather information from scouts, coaches, intel from PIs, etc. and their feedback in slotting players. But, those 3 or 4 are the ones slotting those players and will in no way tip their hand before the draft. Someone within the organization may have been privy to some of the meetings where scouts provided input and their recommended slottings and ran with that information as being stone cold lock info, or the receiver of that 2nd or third hand info may have taken it as gospel. Scouts don't necessarily have a good feel for how the coaching staff will utilize a player, nor see all of the information from every resource the organization uses and compliled together. Most organizations have this peiece of paper they call a "confidentially agreement" that is signed by the people they employ. And, people within organizations who have loose lips aren't employed there for long once that is determined... and that's probably why you see a lot of ex scouts working with the media instead of the NFL... because they can't keep their mouths shut.

I know I have no idea who the Bills will select in any round or their opinion on any player. So, for anyone to suggest they have intimate knowledge of the Bills bigboard and then to float that info out there is a lot of bull$it.

You make it sound so simple, but this has not been simple for the bills. More picks would give us more chances to hit on some of the picks.

Well, I believe it's quite simple; it's not--however--easy, which I believe is what you mean.

I know more picks make it more likely that you'll hit on a pick; I just can't abide passing on a top 10 talent.

Like I said, it's a fundamental disagreement; I'm not wrong and neither are you.

When the team is bad and rebuilding again, it's not so much an either/or thing. It's like commercial fishing. You have to catch fish you can sell, so they have to be good quality, but at the same time you have to catch enough fish to stay in business.

If anyone knows much about corporate policy, especially on sensitive matters... and certailny an NFL team's draft startegy, you have to believe there are probably only 3 (maybe 4) people in the entire Bills Organization that actually have intimate knowledge of this so called "big board". Brandon, Nix & Whaley, and perhaps Marrone. That info must be held under lock and key and the strictest of confidence. They certainly may gather information from scouts, coaches, intel from PIs, etc. and their feedback in slotting players. But, those 3 or 4 are the ones slotting those players and will in no way tip their hand before the draft. Someone within the organization may have been privy to some of the meetings where scouts provided input and their recommended slottings and ran with that information as being stone cold lock info, or the receiver of that 2nd or third hand info may have taken it as gospel. Scouts don't necessarily have a good feel for how the coaching staff will utilize a player, nor see all of the information from every resource the organization uses and compliled together. Most organizations have this peiece of paper they call a "confidentially agreement" that is signed by the people they employ. And, people within organizations who have loose lips aren't employed there for long once that is determined... and that's probably why you see a lot of ex scouts working with the media instead of the NFL... because they can't keep their mouths shut.

I know I have no idea who the Bills will select in any round or their opinion on any player. So, for anyone to suggest they have intimate knowledge of the Bills bigboard and then to float that info out there is a lot of bull$it.

Please...

Up until last year, Nevergiveup would come on here periodically and basically tell us who the Bills were targeting (Bradford, Spiller, Miller, Dareus, no QB in 2011), and he was always on target.

Just because you don't have access to information doesn't mean that others don't, and Kirby has proven that he does in the past (i.e. breaking the Kolb visit far in advance of when any "news" outlet had it).

When the team is bad and rebuilding again, it's not so much an either/or thing. It's like commercial fishing. You have to catch fish you can sell, so they have to be good quality, but at the same time you have to catch enough fish to stay in business.

I hear you...IMO, they can do that by getting the majority of their existing picks right; others don't feel that way and that's fine.

Fundamental disagreement.

Well, I believe it's quite simple; it's not--however--easy, which I believe is what you mean.

I know more picks make it more likely that you'll hit on a pick; I just can't abide passing on a top 10 talent.

Like I said, it's a fundamental disagreement; I'm not wrong and neither are you.

Drafting a player in the top 10 does not make them a top 10 talent. (See Whitner, Dareus, Mckelvin 11, Maybin,11 Mike Williams)

Two things, Doc.

1) You should have written this post to Kirby, not me. I was just passing along what he said for the sake of discussion.

2) When I worked in the Buffalo sports media in the mid-late 80's, one of our interns who had connections to the Bills told us the Bills were definitely taking Shane Conlan. She offered to make wagers with anyone who thought differently.

Drafting a player in the top 10 does not make them a top 10 talent. (See Whitner, Dareus, Mckelvin 11, Maybin,11 Mike Williams)

Hence why they need to get their pick right...I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

There will be top 10 talents available to the Bills.

Even if the top tier guys (Joeckel, Fischer, Jordan, Floyd, Milliner), that means that 2 of the following guys will be available to Buffalo:

Geno Smith

Chance Warmack

Lane Johnson

Jarvis Jones

Ezekiel Ansah

Barkevious Mingo

Star Lotulelei

All are what I consider to be immediate starters (save for perhaps Ansah, but he'll be an immediate impact pass rusher IMO).

I'm sure the team has a favorite among the players that will be on the board, so don't mess around, pick the guy and get it right.

I don't get this. Maybin was a top 15 pick in most mocks. Dareus, McKelvin, and Williams were all top 10 picks in mocks. Whitner was the only one who was picked way out of left field.