Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Oh, here we go. I'll repeat this. It gets cold and windy in West Virginia. And I will take Geno's line in that game over Nassib's anyday.

We'll perhaps the future Raiders vs Bills might give us a chance to rehash this again on the Grid iron one day,

my moneys on Nassib...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he`s from the cuse.. so he `s shitz. He knows the O. Pity all QBs that come into the league and don`t know their new teams system. What a cop out.

Did you read a word that he wrote? Your response has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

I dont't doubt Smith is more dynamic than Nassib for one second. But it isn't about that. Both played in very different systems and both excelled in their system. You could not put Nassib in WV's offense and expect him to be effective. Likewise the same is true of Smith lining up @ qb in Cuse's offense.

Right now, the Bills coaching staff has either completed or is very near completing their playbooks without free agency overwith and the draft 6 weeks away. What do you think is contained within the pages of their offensive playbook? The same terminology and plays as in Syracuse's offense plus some wrinkles that take into account the personnel. The qb is going to be asked to do the same thing that was done at Syracuse. I don't see Geno's skill set extrapolating well to that. If the Bills had a year to develop him before putting him in as a starter it would be different. But, with no starting qb, the Bills don't have the luxury of grooming a qb for a year and it makes no sense to bring in some FA qb and learn an offense for one year and then turn the reigns over to their 2013 draftee. They lose a full year of playing experience and the Bills don't get the full 5 year value they signed up for. In selecting Nassib, the coaching staff gets their guy. They would endorse that move. And, it kind of goes back to the old Parcells addage... that if I'm the cook, I'd like to do some of the grocery shopping.

A lot of fans are quick to say that bringing in Marrone and his college staff is one thing, but it's going too far to allow him to bring in his college players. I say that doesn't make sense. If he wants certain players, I say it's his job and what he believes he needs to succeed is what he believes he needs to succeed. It's his job to lose. Miami did the same thing last year when Tannehill followed his college coach and Chip Kelly did the same thing when he just acquired Dennis Dixon, one of his ex college QBs and said to be courting Dion Jordan... one of his players from last year.

For this Bills team and the current coaching staff, Nassib is plug and play from day one. Sure he needs refinement and will need to adapt to the NFL game speed. But he knows how to read defenses, the right blocking calls, the progressions, the coverages, and exactly when to throw and where to put the balll

I know a lot of fans aren't going to like this, but right now, Ryan Nassib is clearly the best fit for this Bills team, which has a vacancy at qb and needs a starter right away and gives them the benefit of 5 full years out of the gate. Nassib has a mature offensive line, mature backfield and rb weapon out of the backfield that he is going to love to throw to and recognize mismatches. Stevie is going to love Nassib. He is used to throwing to possession wrs that can separate and run precision routes because Nassib had no speed wideouts at Cuse. Tight ends? 27% of Nassib's completions this past season were to tight ends. And most of all, Nassib is going to benefit from a supporting cast the likes of which he's never had or been afforded. The first half of the season will be tough going, but the second half of the season we'll begin to see the progress and maturation.

This... Nassib is not the sexiest pick at QB, especially at #8. He is however the best fit for the Bills in this years draft class at QB. Take him at 8. Seriously what do we have to lose at this point? A 6-10 season? I would gladly take a chance on Nassib at #8 and see what he can do with his college coaches calling the shots. He may very well be the next Jim Kelly. He also may be a bust. Remember Tom Brady. He wasn't a sexy pick at all but he is now a guaranteed 1st ballot hall of famer.

Oh, here we go. I'll repeat this. It gets cold and windy in West Virginia. And I will take Geno's line in that game over Nassib's anyday.

What about in the future? I think you draft for ceiling. If they really think Geno is as dumb or stubborn as a brick after meeting with him, that's understandable (doubtful IMO). But NFL QBs pick up new systems upon arrival to the league all the time. You're right, for plug'n'play, Nassib would certainly be a more seamless fit, but I don't know that he helps this team reach the upper echelon. I'll root for him if he gets here, but I am wary.

And those passes to TEs won't help him if the Bills don't have any. Here's hoping!

But, how do you define "ceiling"? It wiil be different based on what your expectation is of the qb. I don' t think you'd get anyone thinking that Brady had a high ceiling when he came out. His skill set is accuracy and cerebral. He's a student of the game... and he has to be, because he doesn't have much in the physical gifts department.

If I'm looking at the Bills situation and their offense, what the rxpectations are, and knowing what each brings to the table, Geno reminds me of Warren Moon, a damn good qb. But to me he'd have a low ceiling in Buffalo because he is not going to be asked to sling it 60 times per game and run a hurry up spread offense. He's going to be asked to rely on a running game and the mental aspects of the game. He is not going to excell under center and throwing it 20 - 30 times per game, nor is he going to be happy. On the other hand, that's exactly Nassib's game. He thrives at the cerebral aspects of the game. He's a gym rat and student of the game. He'll study and study. In time he'll know and exploit every weakness his opponent has. He'll call a dozen run plays in a row and gash an opponent if he sees something. He will be a coach on the field. You can almost consider Nassib's last two seasons at Syracuse as his rookie season in the NFL because of the playbook and coaching staff.

So when you define ceiling, it is going to vary depending on the qbs skill set and the offense he is going to be placed in. I think a lot of teams and coaches fail on qb selection because they place too much emphasis on the measureable physical attributes and not enough on how the kid stacks up with what you want to accomplish on offense and the kid's ability to grasp it, actually being excited & passionate about grasping it, and executing it.

This... Nassib is not the sexiest pick at QB, especially at #8. He is however the best fit for the Bills in this years draft class at QB. Take him at 8. Seriously what do we have to lose at this point? A 6-10 season? I would gladly take a chance on Nassib at #8 and see what he can do with his college coaches calling the shots. He may very well be the next Jim Kelly. He also may be a bust. Remember Tom Brady. He wasn't a sexy pick at all but he is now a guaranteed 1st ballot hall of famer.

Take Nassib...At 8?? I can't believe anyone thinks that.

Geno Smith is a BUST!!!! The media is overhyping this guy. Teams are not going to pick this guy at 8.

Oh... I will respectfully disagree. I can easily see Philly snapping him up at #4. It seems to me he would be playing in a shotgun, spread, fast paced offense... which matches his skill set.

Geno Smith is a BUST!!!! The media is overhyping this guy. Teams are not going to pick this guy at 8.

This single post may set the record for calling a bust!!! It's what? 42 days away from the Draft?

And they say you need at least 3 years to know for sure... ;)

Seriously though, hype or not you're going to be hard pressed to find Scouts or talking heads out there who don't feel Smith is the #1 QB in this Draft...There are some for sure...I know Russ Lande likes Nassib best...I think Charles Davis likes Barkley a bit more...But the vast, and I mean really vast, majority of "experts" believe Smith is clearly the top rated QB in 2013...There are even some who feel there is a sizable gap between Geno and the next QB after him...Whoever that next QB may be...Geno may very well become a bust after a few NFL seasons...It happens...But he's not being over-hyped...His physical tools and general make-up give him a very high ceiling...He's the best QB in this Draft class according to most...And QB is King... B-)

If this staff thinks he is a good fit for thier offense then yes take him at 8. If not take BPA. I am not against that either. If Marrone and Hacket think he can be thier guy and are sold on his deliverables then he goes to Buffalo at 8.

All this reminds me of the Brady Quinn discussion a few years ago: Ryan Nassib = Brady Quinn, yes, I said it.

Really? You might want to get the facts straight. Brady Quinn was the product of typical Notre Dame man love by the media and their belief that Charlie Weiss was God, and on the eighth day the belief was that he created Tom Brady. The people that count knew he was a POS... except in Cleveland apparently.

Not too many in the media are hyping Nassib... if anything, they're under rating him. Most all the media has him slotted rd. 2-3. The people that matter know different. Apparently you don't.

This... Nassib is not the sexiest pick at QB, especially at #8. He is however the best fit for the Bills in this years draft class at QB. Take him at 8. Seriously what do we have to lose at this point?

How about a much better player?

The Brady stuff has to stop. For one, he was a freaking lottery ticket in the 6th round that the Pats were just lucky enough to have hit the winning numbers on. The smartest team in the world passed on him 5 times - which is all you need to know. He is neither proof that the QB of the future is going to be there in the late rounds, nor is he proof that you need to reach on a less talented guy because you see the mystical intangibles in him.

I do not want the Bills to take Warmack at #8 but I would take Warmack and Nassib at #8 and #41 respectively every day, over Nassib at #8 and lord knows what at #41. The guy simply hasn't proven his stock enough to obliterate any change of missing him by over-drafting him.

How about a much better player?

The Brady stuff has to stop. For one, he was a freaking lottery ticket in the 6th round that the Pats were just lucky enough to have hit the winning numbers on. The smartest team in the world passed on him 5 times - which is all you need to know. He is neither proof that the QB of the future is going to be there in the late rounds, nor is he proof that you need to reach on a less talented guy because you see the mystical intangibles in him.

I do not want the Bills to take Warmack at #8 but I would take Warmack and Nassib at #8 and #41 respectively every day, over Nassib at #8 and lord knows what at #41. The guy simply hasn't proven his stock enough to obliterate any change of missing him by over-drafting him.

With all due respect, whos going to be a much better football player for a team thats been searching for a signal caller for over a decade. Nassib can step in and run the Offense and eliminate the big learning curve. Ryan Nassib is good at distributing the football and allowing his playmakers to make plays.

If you would take Nassib at #41 then why wouldn't you take him at 8 when hes not going to be there at # 41. Its always boggled my mind how someone could rationalize a QB he would take in the 2nd would not be acceptable in the 1st.

If you think hes the guy that can get the job done then you don't take any chances.

I wouldn't anyway...

Yes the media is overhyping the guy with 96td's and 21ints for a career? I am sure it's not the multiple years of success that has him slated to be the top qb. Come on bud, "in your opinion" Geno MAY be a bust.

Trooth and Dog, with all due respect you guys are killing me with this Nassib at 8 talk. If Nassib really is something we should trade down and grab him at 18ish and at least gain another pick. Another classic bills reach in the draft is not what we need IMO.

With all due respect, whos going to be a much better football player for a team thats been searching for a signal caller for over a decade. Nassib can step in and run the Offense and eliminate the big learning curve. Ryan Nassib is good at distributing the football and allowing his playmakers to make plays.

There's the rub. We need a QB who can make plays to beat the opposition, not simply a distribution mechanism that the team can be comfortable with right now. I think Geno Smith is the better player. If he is there and they draft Nassib it will be a catastrophic blunder the likes of which only the Bills are capable of, IMO.

If the Bills and Marrone decide to go this route iy would the biggest mistake ever made by a Head Coach. Why would you bring in a offense built for the likes of college football, with the same QB and expect it to succeed? You'd have to change it up at least a little bit and suprise people. Yea maybe you bring pieces of it, but NFL defenses would eat a college offense up, especially the one Syracuse ran.

Yes the media is overhyping the guy with 96td's and 21ints for a career? I am sure it's not the multiple years of success that has him slated to be the top qb. Come on bud, "in your opinion" Geno MAY be a bust.

Trooth and Dog, with all due respect you guys are killing me with this Nassib at 8 talk. If Nassib really is something we should trade down and grab him at 18ish and at least gain another pick. Another classic bills reach in the draft is not what we need IMO.

That's ridiculous. You have no qb... the single most important position on your team. If he's your guy at 18, he's your guy at #8. Why would anyone with any sanity gamble that he'd still be available 10 picks later? With the Jets on the clock at #9, a lame duck coach, and a glaring need at qb, it's a real possibility that they'd take Nassib.

If the Bills and Marrone decide to go this route iy would the biggest mistake ever made by a Head Coach. Why would you bring in a offense built for the likes of college football, with the same QB and expect it to succeed? You'd have to change it up at least a little bit and suprise people. Yea maybe you bring pieces of it, but NFL defenses would eat a college offense up, especially the one Syracuse ran.

Dude... you just lost credibility. It was a pro style offense run at cuse by a hc that played and coached in the nfl and on oc that was an assitant under jon gruden in the nfl and later with the bills. If you want to pick on someone bringing in a college offens, pick on chip kelly. He has zero experience playing or coaching in the nfl.

That's ridiculous. You have no qb... the single most important position on your team. If he's your guy at 18, he's your guy at #8. Why would anyone with any sanity gamble that he'd still be available 10 picks later? With the Jets on the clock at #9, a lame duck coach, and a glaring need at qb, it's a real possibility that they'd take Nassib.

its not ridiculous....he's the 4th/5th best qb in the draft according to "the experts" why take him at 8 when he's gonna be there early in the second.......some mocks FWIW have him going in the 4th round.

none of this is perfect science of course................but if the experts are right then why would we take the wrong guy 30 picks higher than we should?

i hope the Jets do take Nassib......GENOTIME BABY!! get er done trade up to #1 !

Dude... you just lost credibility. It was a pro style offense run at cuse by a hc that played and coached in the nfl and on oc that was an assitant under jon gruden in the nfl and later with the bills. If you want to pick on someone bringing in a college offens, pick on chip kelly. He has zero experience playing or coaching in the nfl.

Great, I would happen a guess it was still dumbed down a bit.

I don't know if it's possible to be more ignorant and biased about something but you are certainly trying your hardest.

You truly sound ridiculous in almost every argument (or lack thereof) that you attempt to present.

No matter what anyone says, your only response is going to be (and has been): "OMG Matt Scott vs. USC."

Seeing how you've turned to insulting me it's obvious I won the argument. The funny thing is that you chose to infer that I was both ignorant and biased.

I gave you a real example of Matt Scott's heart and leadership. Providing you with some actual knowledge on the subject matter. Beyond that, it's apparently fine with you that Nassib fans can proclaim he has heart and leadership all day long without providing a real example of heart and leadership. Yet I'm the ignorant one? How does that work? Do you know the definition of ignorant?

Also, how am I biased? I have no allegiance to Arizona football. It's so rich that you would infer someone was biased in a 44 page Ryan Nassib thread, a guy who happen to play QB for Buffalo's biggest local college football program.