Those who won't be excited no matter what the Bills do this off se

If we had landed Alex Smith, a top flite WR, a couple of vet LBs, a CB or two, kept Levitre and had a solid draft, I would not be excited by this team. Well, we did none of those things and I am betting we screw up the draft and reach for a mediocre QB in the first round, then draft a pint sized receiver in rd 2. This is the most un-enthused I have been about a Bills team since the sad-sack teams of the 70's.

If we had landed Alex Smith, a top flite WR, a couple of vet LBs, a CB or two, kept Levitre and had a solid draft, I would not be excited by this team. Well, we did none of those things and I am betting we screw up the draft and reach for a mediocre QB in the first round, then draft a pint sized receiver in rd 2. This is the most un-enthused I have been about a Bills team since the sad-sack teams of the 70's.

I'm the opposite.

I understand that years of ineptitude can get you down.....but I see us in quite a positive light at the moment.

At the moment we have 3 players who are generally considered to be top 3 at their positions(Spiller, Mario, Byrd).....plus another top 3 guy on special teams(McKelvin).

When was the last time we had even one player who was generally considered to be top 3 at their position on this team(not including STers)?

I remember several years where the only player on our team that was considered to be amongst the best at his position was the friggin Punter.

If we get lucky in the draft and land a top 5 level QB.......our team has the foundation in place. QB, DE & OT(Glenn having the best potential IMO of becoming a top rated player).

It's far easier to find decent and good players to fill the holes than it is to find the handful of star players needed to become a great team.

How can you not be enthused?

Edited by Dibs

I'm the opposite.

I understand that years of ineptitude can get you down.....but I see us in quite a positive light at the moment.

At the moment we have 3 players who are generally considered to be top 3 at their positions(Spiller, Mario, Byrd).....plus another top 3 guy on special teams(McKelvin).

When was the last time we had even one player who was generally considered to be top 3 at their position on this team(not including STers)?

I remember several years where the only player on our team that was considered to be amongst the best at his position was the friggin Punter.

If we get lucky in the draft and land a top 5 level QB.......our team has the foundation in place. QB, DE & OT(Glenn having the best potential IMO of becoming a top rated player).

It's far easier to find decent and good players to fill the holes than it is to find the handful of star players needed to become a great team.

How can you not be enthused?

If we just find the next Tom Brady we'll play great!!!!

No wonder Bills fans are so disappointed every year.

I don't understand your point.

See "If we get lucky and draft a top 5 QB." I was pointing out how unrealistic that was, and how the other pieces don't really matter with top 5 QB's ie the Patriots and Saints defenses, the 2-14 2011 Colts without Peyton Manning, the no name receivers on every top 5 QB's team that aren't successful anywhere else, the lack of a real running oriented offense when a Top 5 QB is on the team.

Every team with a top 5 QB has a good shot to win the Superbowl every year, and to say that it's the only missing piece we need is obvious and idiotic considering, if my math checks out, that's all 27 other teams in the league need as well. So to ride your hopes every year of "getting lucky" and drafting the next HoFer is nonsensical and setting yourself up to post on the board "this team sux I am done watching" by the end of September.

See "If we get lucky and draft a top 5 QB." I was pointing out how unrealistic that was, and how the other pieces don't really matter with top 5 QB's ie the Patriots and Saints defenses, the 2-14 2011 Colts without Peyton Manning, the no name receivers on every top 5 QB's team that aren't successful anywhere else, the lack of a real running oriented offense when a Top 5 QB is on the team.

Every team with a top 5 QB has a good shot to win the Superbowl every year, and to say that it's the only missing piece we need is obvious and idiotic considering, if my math checks out, that's all 27 other teams in the league need as well. So to ride your hopes every year of "getting lucky" and drafting the next HoFer is nonsensical and setting yourself up to post on the board "this team sux I am done watching" by the end of September.

So you are saying that the best way(only way?) to win is by having a great QB(which I don't disagree with)........but you shouldn't hope to get one in the draft as that will only lead to disappointment? ......and furthermore that it makes no difference if you have some good players or don't(as if having a good team around a star QB isn't going to increase your chances)?

Why do you even follow football?

So you are saying that the best way(only way?) to win is by having a great QB(which I don't disagree with)........but you shouldn't hope to get one in the draft as that will only lead to disappointment? ......and furthermore that it makes no difference if you have some good players or don't(as if having a good team around a star QB isn't going to increase your chances)?

Why do you even follow football?

Yes, to put all your eggs in the basket of getting a top 5 QB this year is statistically stupid. Obviously other stars increase your chances but they don't matter nearly as much and are easier to come by. You probably wanted to cut RF cause he wasn't Peyton Manning so we can have TJ, Kolb, and another Trent Edwards out of this years draft. I'd rather watch 6-7 wins and care about the Bills in November, then have 2 wins and stop caring by October, unless we plan on a 2014 stud.

I follow football because I enjoy it, I don't watch it to delude myself. unlike you.

Yes, to put all your eggs in the basket of getting a top 5 QB this year is statistically stupid. Obviously other stars increase your chances but they don't matter nearly as much and are easier to come by. You probably wanted to cut RF cause he wasn't Peyton Manning so we can have TJ, Kolb, and another Trent Edwards out of this years draft. I'd rather watch 6-7 wins and care about the Bills in November, thAn have 2 wins and stop caring by October, unless we plan on a 2014 stud.

I follow football because I enjoy it, I don't watch it to delude myself. unlike you.

What a delightfully rude and obnoxious person you are.

Statistically stupid? I don't understand that comment. I've actually done a whole lot of research on the chances of landing an elite QB and apart from having a top 4 draft pick QB.....statistically speaking the best chance you have is by drafting one in the 5-36 bracket. You may think they are all going to be of Trent Edwards calibre(and you may be right) but I'm happy to allow the NFL scouts determine if a player is worthy of selecting in that range.......and let the progress of time tell me how they pan out as NFL pro's.

I actually wanted to cut Fitz for cap reasons. I don't see much difference between having a bad, poor, average or decent QB as it is only the great QBs who will give you a decent chance of winning the SB(as you agree with)......and paying a lot of money to a QB who is not considered by the rest of the league to be of starter quality(as proven in FA after we cut him), is bad usage of cap money.

.....and as for your comment of 6-7 wins Vs 2 wins.....

You seem to have set your sights firmly into mediocrity there. I'd personally prefer the chance of winning more than 6-7 games in a season than going into the season feeling that that was the best we can achieve. If your rookie is crap and only wins 2 games......draft another one. It is defeatist to settle for mediocrity.

I'm getting the feeling that this is some sort of Fitz defense. If so, please shut up and go away. My comments were made after he was cut & my thoughts on whether he should or shouldn't have been cut are irrelevant to the points I made.

How am I deluding myself? My initial point......which relates to the premise of the actual thread(unlike your strange divergence).....was that we have several star players which is not only good for future team building(elite QB or not)......but are fun to watch. I want us to be a good team. You stated that we need an elite QB to achieve that......so what is delusional about wanting us to look for one?

It seems to me that you are doing a fair amount of self-deluding by stating that even though you expect we could only win 6-7 games.......that you could somehow maintain interest in the season. Perhaps you were meaning that as long as the play isn't disgusting(2 wins), then you can enjoy watching the individual games(ignoring the season as a whole). If so......star players are fun to watch. We have 3......which was my initial point.

Anyway......it was fun chatting.

Please feel free to misread what I wrote, divert it to your own personal agendas, incorrectly assume hidden motives, make wrong assumptions about my thoughts or attack and insult me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dibs

thanks for checking in ` skies are always very gray here.

What would you propose they do, if you don't like what they could have done and won't like what they will do?

What I think I am saying, is that after drinking the Kool-Aid for the last dozen years, I won't drink it anymore. There is nothing they can do to get me excited. They could trade Aaron Corp straight up for Tom Brady and I would not get excited. I will cheer & root for them when the season starts but I am not going to get my hopes up that anything wil change because it never does. When i see guys post that Nigel B is a beast or that all we should trade for <insert name> ; or the coaching staff will be so creative and that will change this team..none of that is true. this team sucks and will suck again this year. Our pig just has too much lipstick on.

thanks for checking in ` skies are always very gray here.

What would you propose they do, if you don't like what they could have done and won't like what they will do?

I think OBD is being prudent, doing what they can when they can. So many holes to fill on this team, talent is just average, on average. College coaches. Front office trying to do the right things within a budget, like every other team. Just hasn't been a very good or attractive franchise for a long time, one that really needs a "savior" in my opinion as solid front office management and good coaching probably will not be enough. They are trying. They are doing their jobs. Need a breakthrough of some kind. With the Pats being great, the Phins getting a lot better at least on paper plus another brutal schedule this year, I am afraid yet another crappy season of little-to-cheer-about is coming. Let the Marrone firing countdown to 2016 begin.

Please feel free to misread what I wrote, divert it to your own personal agendas, incorrectly assume hidden motives, make wrong assumptions about my thoughts or attack and insult me. :thumbsup:

Ha. Now that was funny

I'm done chasing this team. I'm on the bench 'til they prove their worth/interest to me. So, does that make me a bandwagon fan? Will I observe skeptically from afar as the team goes through the spring, summer and early fall? Will I shake my head at moves made in the apparent lack of any sort of plan? Will I denigrate them to anyone who'll listen (They've taken enough from me, it's my turn to tar and feather them.)?

You betcha!

Statistically stupid? I don't understand that comment. I've actually done a whole lot of research on the chances of landing an elite QB and apart from having a top 4 draft pick QB.....statistically speaking the best chance you have is by drafting one in the 5-36 bracket. You may think they are all going to be of Trent Edwards calibre(and you may be right) but I'm happy to allow the NFL scouts determine if a player is worthy of selecting in that range.......and let the progress of time tell me how they pan out as NFL pro's.

I actually wanted to cut Fitz for cap reasons. I don't see much difference between having a bad, poor, average or decent QB as it is only the great QBs who will give you a decent chance of winning the SB(as you agree with)......and paying a lot of money to a QB who is not considered by the rest of the league to be of starter quality(as proven in FA after we cut him), is bad usage of cap money.

.....and as for your comment of 6-7 wins Vs 2 wins.....

You seem to have set your sights firmly into mediocrity there. I'd personally prefer the chance of winning more than 6-7 games in a season than going into the season feeling that that was the best we can achieve. If your rookie is crap and only wins 2 games......draft another one. It is defeatist to settle for mediocrity.

I'm getting the feeling that this is some sort of Fitz defense. If so, please shut up and go away. My comments were made after he was cut & my thoughts on whether he should or shouldn't have been cut are irrelevant to the points I made.

How am I deluding myself? My initial point......which relates to the premise of the actual thread(unlike your strange divergence).....was that we have several star players which is not only good for future team building(elite QB or not)......but are fun to watch. I want us to be a good team. You stated that we need an elite QB to achieve that......so what is delusional about wanting us to look for one?

It seems to me that you are doing a fair amount of self-deluding by stating that even though you expect we could only win 6-7 games.......that you could somehow maintain interest in the season. Perhaps you were meaning that as long as the play isn't disgusting(2 wins), then you can enjoy watching the individual games(ignoring the season as a whole). If so......star players are fun to watch. We have 3......which was my initial point.

It's not unreasonable to question the premise that we may find a "top 5 calibre QB" in this draft, despite your...research.

Last year everyone(media experts and the like) said the QB class was very weak past Andrew Luck, then later they added in RG3 as the pre-qualifiers, stating that this year's draft class would be much stronger with Matt Barkley leading the charge. This media disclaimer is repeated by media lackeys every year. The point I am trying to make here is that next year's QB class will be no better than this year's class, with the exception of 1 or 2 guys. There are always risks in drafting for this position no matter when a team pull the trigger. Think of all the "can't miss" QBs of past draft classes. Andrew Luck could have blown chunks this year, like Tim Couch, or Jarmarcus Russel(typing that name still makes me laugh), or jake Plummer, or Alex Smith for most of his career.

There are no guarantees at this position, so with all that said, I think there are a few guys in this year's draft class, and definitely worth taking a shot on. I'd like to see them take a swing at 1 or even 2 for that matter.

I think no matter what stance you take on the matter you're drinking the kool-Aid of sorts, and lately it seems the Bills seem to make the wrong choice. You can't fault the cynics for being burnt, and you can't blame to optimists for keeping the faith. It does nobody any good to bash either stance around here, it's just the nature of being a sports fan.

I can predict the reaction to any move the Bills make. Gee...is this it?

A move by any other team?...why can't our front office be proactive?

Anyone recall the love for the Cards when they boldly traded for that stud QB Kevin Kolb? And how if the Bills were serious we should have beat them to it?

There's nothing they can realistically do that will excite me this year given the lack of sure-thing QBs in the draft, but I am cautiously optimistic that they have acknowledged how bad they are and need a different approach. Now they need to prove it with the draft and FAs. But I have no faith in Nix if he's making the decisions. Let's see how they are by year 3 of the Marrone era.

It's not unreasonable to question the premise that we may find a "top 5 calibre QB" in this draft, despite your...research.

If there isn't a top five caliber qb in this draft that doesn't mean you can't find a top 12-18 caliber qb that will at least allow you to compete. If it isn't there, it isn't there. That doesn't mean you can't move forward adding talent and continuing your quest for a superior qb prospect at some point, whether it is this year or next year or the year after.

My problem with this peculiar franchise is that the person who is most responsible for not advancing the team over the past three years is the same person responsbile for undoing what he has done.

I believe that there are qbs iin this draft who will be legitimate franchise qbs. That doesn't mean that they will be impactful players in their rookie year. Developing a qb takes time. But if you don't have that potential qb on board you have nothing to work with. That is the critical lesson that our laggard GM needs to learn.

I am betting we screw up the draft and reach for a mediocre QB in the first round, then draft a pint sized receiver in rd 2.

C'mon man, don't you know that the Bills draft either a RB or a CB in the first and second rounds, then some middling linemen, and perhaps if we're lucky, a superstar WR like TJ Graham or James Hardy will fall to us in one of the rounds. :death:

I can predict the reaction to any move the Bills make. Gee...is this it?

A move by any other team?...why can't our front office be proactive?

Anyone recall the love for the Cards when they boldly traded for that stud QB Kevin Kolb? And how if the Bills were serious we should have beat them to it?

No.