WTF is wrong with this country 2?

MarkyMannn

Today's story on her http://www2.buffnews.com/editorial/20050108/1052105.asp

This has been going on for at least a couple years now. It's a joke, and it is on us taxpayers. Here you have a harmless old lady who hand feeds a few deer every day. What else does she have to do in her life? And believe me she it not the only one despite what the Feds claim. I've been to that park a lot of times. So here you have all these gov't budgets in the red and having to raise taxes and carrying on about costs. Well what does this cost us? Lets see, a couple DEC officers, their vehicles, supervisor, training and pensions, prosecutor, judge, court time, record maintenance. Maybe $250,000 total to charge an old woman with a handful of apples. WTF!!!!

They don't want anyone feeding deer to stop the possible spread of a wasting disease (deer "mad cow"). She was warned numerous times, was fined and still fed them. She was arrested (violated the ruling) , convicted and spent a few days in jail. She still hasn't gotten the message.

She thinks the deer will starve to death. Maybe some need to. She claimed that she was not feeding wild anmals, but tame ones, but they are so tame because she is feeding them!

There are more deer around than ever before. A few years ago, I was visiting my mother in Cheektowaga (she lives downstream of Steiglemeir Park). At 11 AM on Christmas morning, there were two deer in her driveway. All the years I lived in Cheektowaga, we never saw deer in the daytime. This Christmas I was back there and did some walking in Steiglemeir Park. The deer came right up to me, close enough to smell them, and would not move when I yelled, made motions and even threw snow at them! None of them (I saw at least a dozen) looked thin to me. Let some hunters get some venison, it's delicious!

They don't want anyone feeding deer to stop the possible spread of a wasting disease (deer "mad cow"). 

198879[/snapback]

They're going about it wrong then. If we stop eating chicken, it'll prevent mad cow disease in deer.

At least, that's what PETA says. <_<:unsure:

They don't want anyone feeding deer to stop the possible spread of a wasting disease (deer "mad cow").  She was warned numerous times, was fined and still fed them. She was arrested (violated the ruling) , convicted and spent a few days in jail. She still hasn't gotten the message.

She thinks the deer will starve to death. Maybe some need to. She claimed that she was not feeding wild anmals, but tame ones, but they are so tame because she is feeding them! 

There are more deer around than ever before. A few years ago, I was visiting my mother in Cheektowaga (she lives downstream of  Steiglemeir Park). At 11 AM on Christmas morning, there were two deer in her driveway. All the years I lived in Cheektowaga, we never saw deer in the daytime. This Christmas I was back there and did some walking in Steiglemeir Park. The deer came right up to me, close enough to smell them, and would not move when I yelled, made motions and even threw snow at them! None of them (I saw at least a dozen) looked thin to me. Let some hunters get some venison, it's delicious!

198879[/snapback]

We ain't taking about Bambi's family here...Deer are like rats with hooves. There's too many of them. It's no tragedy of a few starve to death. In fact, it wood be a benefit to the surviving deer. That's not cruel...that's nature.

PTR

Unfortunately one of the other things that can happen when folks who live in residences feed deer and provided a regular food site for them is that these "wild" animals tend to come to this regular source of food and if it is in a residential area (unfortunately as developments stray further out into undeveloped areas as folks build their McMansions these residential areas are reducing the amount of deer habitat while populations are kept up by folks feeding them) these deer wander out into the streets and highways we more and more insist are 35-55 mph roads and the car deer collisions increase.

The cost involved may be more than just a few troopers here and there but actually ambulances, emergency medical staff, hospital rooms, your and my insurance etcetera.

I'm not arguing either point or side just saying this is far more complex than just a WTF summary of what folks are doing.

The problem with feeding wild animals is they start to look at human beings as a food source. Then, when some poor schmoe doesn't come through with the goods, the animal may do something untoward.

We had one of these dopes here. Kept feeding moose carrots. The moose ended up stomping one of her neighbors pretty good. Just because it has fur and brown eyes doesn't make it pet worthy.

you should never feed wild animals for any reason...nature takes care of herself as she has been for many years...if you feed wild animals they will stop migrating for food and start hanging arround the un-natural food source...this will actually prove more fatal for the animals then letting nature takes it course...it wil also prove more fatal to man-kind especially with deer near roads...its been proven with many kinds of wild animals that feeding them just isnt productive or safe for us.

I've heard it said that there are more deer alive in North American right now, than when Columbus bumped into the continent back in 1492 - the year the Spanish celebrate as the date when El Cid kicked the Islamic Moors out of Spain.

I don't know about that, but I do know that in New Jersey - my current habitat - eight years ago the hunters in this state harvested about 44,000 deer during the various hunting seasons. In 2003 the harvest was 69,000! I've personally seen several hundred carcases of crumpled deer on the highways of this state and just recently personally deposited one off the front bumper of my A6 Audi.

People around here have installed 8 ft. high fences - and Bambi still leaps over to munch on the nice vegetation the homeowners supply.

Besides this woman's defiance of authority, the part she isn't getting is that deer's digestion actually changes through the seasons. In the spring and summer and fall they eat a lot of grass and grains. Then when that is gone, they switch over to things like tree bark and dry grass. This is their natural life cycle, and it takes time to develop the bacteria required to digest the woody tree bark.

This woman is acting like the catering department at Wegmans. I'm sure she thinks she's doing a great thing (even God's work), but she's upsetting the tea cart. If she wants to protect the Park's trees from having their bark stripped by the deer, she should join in efforts to have the deer removed - not upset their digestive process. Because when it gets too cold to feed them, and she flies off to Orlando to shake hands and butts with Mickey, her little lovable deer pals will be starving to death in the bitter cold because they lack the ability to digest the only remaining food source - tree bark.