Should the Bills trade UP to #1???

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

8 to 1 would almost 100% include next years first. And likely our second this year - and that would be a discount already.

I could be wrong, I don't see Geno Smith as the player you put it all out on the table for.

8 to 1 would almost 100% include next years first. And likely our second this year - and that would be a discount already.

This

I could be wrong, I don't see Geno Smith as the player you put it all out on the table for.

And this.

if you have the #1 pick, a QB is there and you are willing to trade it away......... then that QB is not worth taking at #1 IMO

Colts would NEVER have traded that pick away for Luck

Panthers would NEVER have traded that pick away for Cam

etc...

I like Geno a lot...More than most....I think his upside is very high...

But I'm not in favor of Trading anything from the 2014 Draft...As much as I like Geno I can honestly say I like McCarron, Bridgewater, and Manziel more...So I would be unwilling to give up anything in 2014...I would like to see them ADD picks to 2014...

I would much rather see The Bills pass on Geno this year, trade down a couple times in the 1st, take a QB with one of their first two Picks, and be prepared to make a big move in 2014 for a QB if necessary...

But that's just me... B-)

By the way, I've decided to check out of the Geno/Barkley debate. I DUNNO! I haven't studied these guys. 30,000 foot view. Nobody reminds me of any wildly successful NFL QB. But I sure hope the guys at OBD get this right because we're F'd for another few years if they don't.

Go Bills.

No way, draft Patterson @ #8, Tyler Bray in the second round, try to fill hole with rounds 3-6, your hoping at best at that point, but it could happen. Start the season off with some trick plays to at least make it a little interesting. 13 years of nothing at all....... I am all for some trick plays, at least for entertainment value.

if you have the #1 pick, a QB is there and you are willing to trade it away......... then that QB is not worth taking at #1 IMO

Colts would NEVER have traded that pick away for Luck

Panthers would NEVER have traded that pick away for Cam

etc...

The Colts had no one at QB.

The Panthers had no one at QB.

The Chiefs just traded for Alex Smith and he will be their franchise guy for the foreseeable future. They dont need a QB and they could get a Tackle at 8.

The Chiefs have made the following Free Agent Signings or Trades so far:

Alex Smith QB

Chase Daniel QB

Anthony Fasano TE

Dwayne Bowe WR

Donny Avery WR

Geoff Schwartz OL

Mike DeVito DE

Sean Smith CB

Dunta Robinson CB

Hence they dont need anyone at #1 unless they want to take an OT or DE. But they can trade down and still get value.

Edited by DrDareustein

The Colts had no one at QB.

The Panthers had no one at QB.

The Chiefs just traded for Alex Smith and he will be their franchise guy for the foreseeable future. They dont need a QB and they could get a Tackle at 8.

The Chiefs have made the following Free Agent Signings or Trades so far:

Alex Smith QB

Chase Daniel QB

Anthony Fasano TE

Dwayne Bowe WR

Donny Avery WR

Geoff Schwartz OL

Mike DeVito DE

Sean Smith CB

Dunta Robinson CB

Hence they dont need anyone at #1 unless they want to take an OT or DE. But they can trade down and still get value.

To quote you. The Chiefs had no one at QB and could have chosen Smith as their QB of the future. Instead Andy Reid took Alex Smith. I will trust Reid's opinion and pass on trading up for Smith. If he drops to 8 so be it. If not and Milner falls then trade down and get a QB later.

The real problem is we'd have to pay him #1 pick money, which isn't going to sit well with Ralph. I know he's supposedly not in charge but those really high checks don't write themselves, they need an extra signature.

Newton and Luck's contracts were both 4 years/$22mil, fully guaranteed. Peanuts for a possible franchise QB. Totally worth it.

To quote you. The Chiefs had no one at QB and could have chosen Smith as their QB of the future. Instead Andy Reid took Alex Smith. I will trust Reid's opinion and pass on trading up for Smith. If he drops to 8 so be it. If not and Milner falls then trade down and get a QB later.

I dont know how much correlation can be drawn from Reid wanting Alex Smith to his opinion on every other QB possibility. He just liked A. Smith best, and now he has the #1 spot to work with as well.