Should the Bills trade UP to #1???

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is something I just don't get. We have needs at most of those positions. Why haven't we been more competitive about signing guys?

It was widely reported that it was the Bills that drove up the price for Alex Smith. I'm glad we didnt win that one. We have no idea how competitive they were or werent on anyone else, but I dont see anyone else on that list to get excited about.

edit: except Dwayne Bowe, but he was a re-sign and never hit the market.

Edited by DrDareustein

The real problem is we'd have to pay him #1 pick money, which isn't going to sit well with Ralph. I know he's supposedly not in charge but those really high checks don't write themselves, they need an extra signature.

That's a huge discount. Less than half fitzs. Like tj if he lights it up.

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

this year not a good move.we shoulda tanked 2011

A good point was made - KC, having the first pick, had its choice of all the college QB's - AND THEY NEEDED A QB!!! The fact that they traded for Alex Smith, a QB who is good, but is not considered by most to be a top 10 QB, even, but rather more of a manager. KC was willing to take Alex Smith over Barkley, Geno, and whoever else might be 1st round material at QB.

I have to believe if Geno is as good as his admirers think - comparable to a Griffin III, or some other athletic QB, there's no way they'd rather have Alex Smith. So - although KC's decision is not by itself proof that Geno isn't going to be great, it does indicate that at least one team isn't sold on him.

I happen to be in the group of fans who believes Barkley is the best QB of this class, and that we'd be better off going after him, followed by Wilson, Manuel, and Nassib. No matter how the picks fall, though - trading away picks in this draft isn't going to happen. This draft is deep enough for the Bills to be getting starters in the 3rd round. If anything, we need to trade down and get a couple extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, if possible.

The real problem is we'd have to pay him #1 pick money, which isn't going to sit well with Ralph. I know he's supposedly not in charge but those really high checks don't write themselves, they need an extra signature.

Yes like he really objected last year to Mario Williams' contract.

It is not like the old days with the new rookie salary cap structure.

I like Geno a lot...More than most....I think his upside is very high...

But I'm not in favor of Trading anything from the 2014 Draft...As much as I like Geno I can honestly say I like McCarron, Bridgewater, and Manziel more...So I would be unwilling to give up anything in 2014...I would like to see them ADD picks to 2014...

I would much rather see The Bills pass on Geno this year, trade down a couple times in the 1st, take a QB with one of their first two Picks, and be prepared to make a big move in 2014 for a QB if necessary...

But that's just me... B-)

"Trade down a couple of times in the 1st" has that EVER happened in the history of the draft?

"Trade down a couple of times in the 1st" has that EVER happened in the history of the draft?

It happened in 2010 and there was one other instance but I don't recall the particulars.

Originally owners of the 22nd overall pick entering the draft, the Patriots first traded that pick to the Denver Broncos to move down to the 24th spot. For that 22nd pick, New England received Denver’s fourth-round pick (No. 113 overall) in addition to pick No. 24. The Patriots then traded that No. 24 pick and a fourth-round pick (No. 119 overall) to the Dallas Cowboys for their first-round pick at No. 27 overall and a third-round pick (No. 90 overall).

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2010/04/patriots-first-round-pick-2010-nfl-draft/

It happened in 2010 and there was one other instance but I don't recall the particulars.

Originally owners of the 22nd overall pick entering the draft, the Patriots first traded that pick to the Denver Broncos to move down to the 24th spot. For that 22nd pick, New England received Denver’s fourth-round pick (No. 113 overall) in addition to pick No. 24. The Patriots then traded that No. 24 pick and a fourth-round pick (No. 119 overall) to the Dallas Cowboys for their first-round pick at No. 27 overall and a third-round pick (No. 90 overall).

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2010...2010-nfl-draft/

....and prior to that, Denver traded down from 11 to 13.....then from 13 to 24.

More realistically, you're probably right. Then what happens to this franchise?

Then we draft another one in a couple of years. Theyre cheap to draft, but valuable if you can hit on one and develop him. Teams arent married to picks anymore with the rookie cap.

If we're going to keep trying at a position, it would be a nice change to have it be the QB spot.

I could be wrong, I don't see Geno Smith as the player you put it all out on the table for.

I tend to think that if Geno Smith isn't the player you put it all out on the table for.....then he should be there at #6.....and we only will have to trade up 2 spots for him.

If he actually is that sort of player......this will become apparent over the next month, and the decision becomes moot....you then do anything you can to get him.

Who was the better prospect coming out. Geno Smith or... Vince Young?

At this point it would have to be Young wouldn't it? He was selected #3......and apart from a few salacious mock drafts & Bills message boards, Geno isn't rated as one of the top picks.

At this point it would have to be Young wouldn't it? He was selected #3......and apart from a few salacious mock drafts & Bills message boards, Geno isn't rated as one of the top picks.

Draft spot has nothing to do with who is a better prospect coming out of college. And I guarantee Geno goes top 3 this year.

Edited by DrDareustein

Draft spot has nothing to do with who is a better prospect coming out of college.

I wouldn't say "nothing"......but I understand your point.

It only takes one team to feel that Geno is worthy of a top 4 spot for him to be selected in that range.

Speculation is fun & all......but I'm happy to wait to see what happens. :thumbsup: