Should the Bills trade UP to #1???

IMO there is no QB worth the #1 pick. And it is also my opinion that no QB belongs in the first round this year, but will be overdrafted. We need WR's, LB's, LG, TE and TE just as much as QB. And there are 22 starting position on a football team. Football is not all about the QB

and the Bills have major holes, and major depth issues. We need to trade down for more picks if anything

I cant agree with a single thing in bold. To say any of those positions are as large of a need as QB makes it seem like you havent been paying attention to the Bills or the NFL in the last 5 years.

Look at the prospects in this draft and tell me WHO IS "worth the #1 pick"? And also tell me what you think the #1 pick is worth. It isnt like the old days, or even like it was 5 years ago. The 1st pick is going to be given a 4yr/$23million contract. That's it. Most of the top 5 will be paid very similarly (about a half mil reduction as you move down). The entire concept of "worth the #1 pick in the draft" has been redefined by the Rookie Cap. You no longer have to worry about getting screwed over by a huge contract, or if the player is "worth it".

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% with everthing in here. Gino would be nice, but the guys coming out in 14 are much better. If we miss Gino, I'd rather fill the holes this year with the impressive depth the draft offers at LB, WR, TE, OG, Safety. Fill those holes, then the QB next year will be in great shape.

People said the same about Jake Locker for years. Then in his senior season, he was mediocre and dropped. Nobody has any clue what is going to happen with next years crop of QB prospects. It seems to be a "grass is always greener" scenario. I think we should be picking the best QB prospect we can get our hands on each year until one of them proves he is good. We definitely are not going to get a good QB if we never draft one.

IMO there is no QB worth the #1 pick. And it is also my opinion that no QB belongs in the first round this year, but will be overdrafted. We need WR's, LB's, LG, TE and TE just as much as QB. And there are 22 starting position on a football team. Football is not all about the QB

and the Bills have major holes, and major depth issues. We need to trade down for more picks if anything

and continue to lose the the Aaron Rogers/Drew Brees/Tom Bradys/Big Bens/Kaepernick/Wilsons of the world?

QB turned a dumpster fire colts around in one season..........we have tried the fill holes except qb move for 10 years no with nothing to show.

its time to do as others do and start with the qb and build around him IMO.

I would say no.

There are a few quarterbacks that can be had at the 8th pick that I think are similar to Geno Smith.

Or they can go WR at #8 overall or LB, and then take a QB late 1st and perhaps move up to get a guy like Barkley if he slips.

Time will tell.

Also remember this: Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick were drafted in the 3rd and 2nd round respectfully. No need to throw the kitchen sink for Geno Smith who is far from a cant miss QB.

Edited by Williams & Williams

I cant agree with a single thing in bold. To say any of those positions are as large of a need as QB makes it seem like you havent been paying attention to the Bills or the NFL in the last 5 years.

Look at the prospects in this draft and tell me WHO IS "worth the #1 pick"? And also tell me what you think the #1 pick is worth. It isnt like the old days, or even like it was 5 years ago. The 1st pick is going to be given a 4yr/$23million contract. That's it. Most of the top 5 will be paid very similarly (about a half mil reduction as you move down). The entire concept of "worth the #1 pick in the draft" has been redefined by the Rookie Cap. You no longer have to worry about getting screwed over by a huge contract, or if the player is "worth it".

I have been a draftnik for 35+ years and I don't see a clear cut #1 pick this draft. IMO the Bills are in a good spot at 8 because they are not slotted to overpay, there is no clear cut top 10, it is a great spot to trade down, the draft is weak at QB-but strong at WR and LB, and it is a deep draft once you get passed that top 10. It is an ideal year to trade down. I personally would love it if Geno slid to the Bills at 8- and some team wanted to trade mad draft picks with Buffalo to draft Smith. In a NY minute!

I have been a draftnik for 35+ years and I don't see a clear cut #1 pick this draft. IMO the Bills are in a good spot at 8 because they are not slotted to overpay, there is no clear cut top 10, it is a great spot to trade down, the draft is weak at QB-but strong at WR and LB, and it is a deep draft once you get passed that top 10. It is an ideal year to trade down. I personally would love it if Geno slid to the Bills at 8- and some team wanted to trade mad draft picks with Buffalo to draft Smith. In a NY minute!

I've been the same and would agree with you 100%. This draft doesn't set up at all like the draft last year where clearly Luck and Griffin go 1/2 in either order and are clear first round picks. I don't know how to explain it, but this year feels much more like a 2011 Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert type of draft. The rhetoric in Kansas City is nice and all, but they did just trade for Alex Smith. He's already getting paid and my money would have him as the starter. Why on earth would this team trade up? It makes no sense what so ever given how close a lot of the QB's coming out this are are to each other. Even if Geno Smith is picked before the Bills pick at #8, I wouldn't really be upset with picking Matt Barkley. Would that be a little bit of a reach? Sure, which is why I would be just as happy drafting a WR or LB in the first round and waiting until the second to take a signal caller. One of Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and EJ Manuel will certainly be there in the 2nd round. Are they really That much of a drop off (if any) from Barkley and Smith? I really don't think so. None the less, the front office has stated point blank that they're looking for a good young signal caller to lead the team. They are taking a QB with the 1st or 2nd round pick whether we like it or not. Trading up though would be just plain stupid given all their needs.

Just saw a discussion on NFLN that went:

KC has filled most of its glaring holes via Free Agency/Trading. They dont need the #1 spot, and would probably be willing to trade out of it pretty cheap (the talking heads joked the Bills could do it with just their #8 and #41).

Jacksonville showed up at Geno Smith's pro day with their ENTIRE front office staff. Doing KC a huge favor by alerting all teams know of their (possible) interest.

Of course, they could just be after another player at #2 and want to guarantee Geno goes first so they get their guy.

I've been in favor of the Bills trading up to #2 or #3 to get Smith all along. If we could get up to #1, we have to make it happen. Especially if we could do it for #8, #41, and next year's 2nd or something.

Geno Smith is far from a sure thing. And now you want to trade UP to get him? that is nuts. this team needs more draft choices not fewer

Geno Smith is far from a sure thing. And now you want to trade UP to get him? that is nuts. this team needs more draft choices not fewer

And this is how we'll be 8 and 8 forever.

Edit: I take that back. THIS below is how we end up 8 and 8 forever. Need a QB. Want a QB. But not shrewd enough to do what it takes to get THE guy. We'll sit at 8 and see who falls to us, or even worse, trade back.

And the "another man's trash"-QB we get can join JP Losman and Trent Edwards in Bills history.

I've been the same and would agree with you 100%. This draft doesn't set up at all like the draft last year where clearly Luck and Griffin go 1/2 in either order and are clear first round picks. I don't know how to explain it, but this year feels much more like a 2011 Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert type of draft. The rhetoric in Kansas City is nice and all, but they did just trade for Alex Smith. He's already getting paid and my money would have him as the starter. Why on earth would this team trade up? It makes no sense what so ever given how close a lot of the QB's coming out this are are to each other. Even if Geno Smith is picked before the Bills pick at #8, I wouldn't really be upset with picking Matt Barkley. Would that be a little bit of a reach? Sure, which is why I would be just as happy drafting a WR or LB in the first round and waiting until the second to take a signal caller. One of Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and EJ Manuel will certainly be there in the 2nd round. Are they really That much of a drop off (if any) from Barkley and Smith? I really don't think so. None the less, the front office has stated point blank that they're looking for a good young signal caller to lead the team. They are taking a QB with the 1st or 2nd round pick whether we like it or not. Trading up though would be just plain stupid given all their needs.

Edited by DrDareustein

why not? you want to continue to muddle around in nowhere land with another fuddy duddy qb? IMO it's time to make a splash.

If we were to trade up to #1, which QB do you want the Bills to draft?

This. The Bills must get the best QB in the draft.

Who is the best QB in the draft in your opinion? Would you want to give up our 1st and 2nd this year and a first next year AND the year after that to move up?

That's what the Redskins gave up to draft RGIII, 3 1sts and a 2nd to move up from #6 to #2.

Are you condoning a similar deal?

and continue to lose the the Aaron Rogers/Drew Brees/Tom Bradys/Big Bens/Kaepernick/Wilsons of the world?

Funny the highest drafted QB of the 6 that you mention is Big Ben at #11 overall.

I agree with you Pete.

Pick #8 is a pretty nice spot to be for this draft.

Who is the best QB in the draft in your opinion? Would you want to give up our 1st and 2nd this year and a first next year AND the year after that to move up?

That's what the Redskins gave up to draft RGIII, 3 1sts and a 2nd to move up from #6 to #2.

Are you condoning a similar deal?

Brother, if you have to ask if Im condoning that deal then you havent read any of my posts in this thread. My entire premise is based on the ability to move up cheap. That is the actual discussion that started this idea. Not that the Bills should trade up, but that the Chiefs may be willing to trade out cheap. From that, I got the idea that the Bills should take a shot at that spot. For the third time now, if they took our 2013 #8 and #41 and our 2014 2nd, they would effectively have gotten Alex Smith for free. I understand that's a huge IF, but hey, it's the offseason.

Brother, if you have to ask if Im condoning that deal then you havent read any of my posts in this thread. My entire premise is based on the ability to move up cheap. That is the actual discussion that started this idea. Not that the Bills should trade up, but that the Chiefs may be willing to trade out cheap. From that, I got the idea that the Bills should take a shot at that spot. For the third time now, if they took our 2013 #8 and #41 and our 2014 2nd, they would effectively have gotten Alex Smith for free. I understand that's a huge IF, but hey, it's the offseason.

Actually I've read every post in this thread since you started it 4 days ago.

I've also read every post in almost every other thread and seeing as they're are 110 posts in this one, forgive me for not remembering your position on trading up.

It sounded like you were starting to migrate towards the idea that they should trade up to get Smith at all costs.