UB bball coach Reg fired - Bobby Hurley, ex of Duke, hired

http://www.buffalobu.../20130315znq39y

I know there aren't a lot of UB Bulls fans here but this firing is pretty significant. Coach Reg was another "Lindy Ruff". Did pretty well but never went all the way. He's had a few 20-wins season recently and even made the MAC conference final twice but fell short each time. There's a new AD at UB and after 14 years of close-but-no-cigar he pulled the plug on "Spoon".

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

One NIT appearance and three CBI tournaments in 14 seasons did not help. My question is how did Quinn get an extension in football?

Were there high expectations for this team? This was their first losing season since 2007-08 so they had been doing fairly well.

One NIT appearance and three CBI tournaments in 14 seasons did not help. My question is how did Quinn get an extension in football?

No idea unless the extension includes an easy buyout clause if he sucks again.

Were there high expectations for this team? This was their first losing season since 2007-08 so they had been doing fairly well.

There are very high expectations for next season as UB brings back most of it's starters while the other MAC powers lose theirs.

AD Danny White is a big basketball guy. He was actually an asst. coach for Ohio when UB blew a 19 pt lead in the MACC in 2005. So he knows Reg from way back, and he knows blowing huge leads is something his teams does often.

Reg was well-liked and did some things well but got out-coached in games constantly. White knows that. He wants UB to become great at something and basketball is easier to turn around than football.

The job should be attractive with the talent they have and the expected down year for the rest of the MAC.

PTR

Because Quinn has that program at its ceiling unless something drastic changes. What Turner Gill pulled off was nothing short of a miracle.

Without more funding and better facilities they're never going to lure better recruits in. Why on Earth would you want to attend a school with a giant sprawling impersonal campus, terrible weight room, terrible stadium, terrible amount of fans and no indoor practice facility when you're being offered better from other schools?

Edit: let it be known I would love to see them succeed. But its going to take a big private donation to boost the program from the depths of D-I

Edited by JM57

Definitely just a stepping stone job if he proves to be a good recruiter and coach. Many have done it at other mid majors though and it is good for those programs.

Because Quinn has that program at its ceiling unless something drastic changes. What Turner Gill pulled off was nothing short of a miracle.

Without more funding and better facilities they're never going to lure better recruits in. Why on Earth would you want to attend a school with a giant sprawling impersonal campus, terrible weight room, terrible stadium, terrible amount of fans and no indoor practice facility when you're being offered better from other schools?

Edit: let it be known I would love to see them succeed. But its going to take a big private donation to boost the program from the depths of D-I

As a UB graduate who lived about a stones throw from the stadium, youre not wrong. Its too bad, but its really the case

I think it will be interesting to bring in Hurley, especially looking at the coaching tree that he comes from - Bob Knight - Coach K... Have to now cheer UB Basketball!

It would be fun to have UB come to Cameron, because you know they aren't going to UB to play.

Here is an example of the absurd reactions from the Reggie-worshippers.

http://www.ubbullrun...ulls/in/3914567

He comes down off the ledge a bit here.

http://www.ubbullrun...ence/in/3914567

But really, how can you have any cred when you proclaim Turner Battle has a better resume to coach the Bulls than Bobby Hurley? The hard-core UB fans, the ones that stuck around while Reg's failure to deliver drove away everyone else, are still in shock their guy got the boot.

But AD Danny White has been busy taking out the dead wood since he arrived. It didn't get much press but he replaced the women's basketball coach and wrestling coach, both who were coasting along for 14+ years before White arrived. Part of the anti-White feelings come from long-time fixtures getting blown out because White "wants to make a name for himself." :blink:

Uh, yeah. I'm sure he does want to make a name for himself. A name known for not putting up with mediocrity because teams and coaches got complacent from low expectations. Yeah, Danny White wants to build a resume and split for a bigger school. That's the roll of schools like UB. That's what you want. You want the best and brightest coming through your ranks. Eventually if you are consistently good and your Athletic Dept. makes real money because Buffalo people like to follow your good teams, you can keep that talent around longer.

I forget how parochial and insular Buffalo can be. Check out this comment from the BN story:

Danny whites stepping stone, he had to go huge or go home. Big huge name as a player ..he has been coaching the last two years with a losing record. Congratulations, this team, if everyone stays, is Reggie's win and no one else's. maybe if they had an AD who was supportive from the beginning great things could have been but Danny whites no fool he knew for HIM to move up he had to do something drastic. As an avid supporter, Danny's appearance was less and less as the team was winning, it would have screwed up everything FOR HIM. His tweets were all about the other sports and nothing about the mens basketball program. He walked out of the arena when the bulls tied with central Michigan and eventually won. Never met the teams on the floor, not even after they snapped a national record. He panicked as he saw his plans being foiled by a buffalo guy. There is so much more to this story and I'm hoping one day it all comes out what a bs con artist this AD is.

:doh:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot