It's a business, and a business needs a brand to sell to customers

Virgil

I've been lurking the past few days with nothing to add that hasn't already been said in terms of disappointment around lack of visits set up, lack of certainty with QB's in the draft, and just overall confusion around what the plan is. I do believe that Marrone has a plan, but I'm getting concerned about his ability to sell it.

Yes, we just signed a new lease and our future is fairly secure. However, we are also a fan base who is beaten down by years of missing the playoffs and being AFC East whipping boys. As far as a brand goes, what is going to be the selling point this year? Last year we had Mario and the hope of a great defense.

This year? Is there a FA left that would inspire that level of hope? Is there a QB or draft outcome that would either?

I get that we typically don't have an idea of what the real plan is and we are typically left guessing. But as of right now, it seems like the Dolphins and Pats are either getting better or maintaining. The Jets look pathetic, but who knows if they get Kolb.

Either way, I'm concerned about sell outs this year and the overall affect this is going to have on the franchise's ability to garner fan interest.

Anyways, just thoughts...

I've been lurking the past few days with nothing to add that hasn't already been said in terms of disappointment around lack of visits set up, lack of certainty with QB's in the draft, and just overall confusion around what the plan is. I do believe that Marrone has a plan, but I'm getting concerned about his ability to sell it.

Yes, we just signed a new lease and our future is fairly secure. However, we are also a fan base who is beaten down by years of missing the playoffs and being AFC East whipping boys. As far as a brand goes, what is going to be the selling point this year? Last year we had Mario and the hope of a great defense.

This year? Is there a FA left that would inspire that level of hope? Is there a QB or draft outcome that would either?

I get that we typically don't have an idea of what the real plan is and we are typically left guessing. But as of right now, it seems like the Dolphins and Pats are either getting better or maintaining. The Jets look pathetic, but who knows if they get Kolb.

Either way, I'm concerned about sell outs this year and the overall affect this is going to have on the franchise's ability to garner fan interest.

The Bills are like cigarettes. No matter how much you want to quit, it's addicting and extremely difficult to do.

Marrone does have a plan and it's simple. Get a viable DC so he can concentrate on the offense and most importantly identifying a QB he wants/can work with from the draft. We will see if the plan works.

Marrone does have a plan and it's simple. Get a viable DC so he can concentrate on the offense and most importantly identifying a QB he wants/can work with from the draft. We will see if the plan works.

If true, and I hope it is, Marrone has one season to get this done. If no forward momentum at the end of this (non-playoff) season, the FO will again make gimmic moves that will doom Marrone to 3 and out and keep us in the basement another half decade at least.

I agree with what you are saying and I do believe there is a plan. I'm merely saying from a marketing standpoint, what's the sell?

For now heavily discounted Fitz jersey's. But really it's way to early to see what the product will be. Probably by training camp there will be a good feel for what Brandon is selling. Honestly, it would seem improbable for the season ticket base to even remain flat. I think past the home opener, there will be difficulty moving inventory. Edited by Best Player Available

I don't know why people are so dismissive of the OP. It's a good point. What's the hook? What is going to draw the casual fan--like me (and I am a casual fan; I'm a Buffalonian but a hockey guy)--into the games? What's going to get the team to sell out games? I bid for the NE game last year in a charity auction, but I think I'd be hard pressed to do it again.

Derek,

I am with you. I am excited about the new coaching staff (somewhat), but I feel a little like I do about the Sabres right now. Simply not enough talent to compete. Take a look at the Chicago Blackhawks (and other contenders) and simply compare the roster. There is no way the Sabres compete. They are not similar talent wise. And the Bills, while the D has some talent, it's still has a few holes. And the offense, damn, right now my Aerosmith T-shirt from 86 has less holes.

The draft will fill some needs....we'll add a free agent or 2 and the base will be excited....(And I am not Debbe Downer).

But who is further away from a Championship right now...the Bills or Sabres????

Damn....that's a question I don't even want to think about!!

Go Bills.

I don't know why people are so dismissive of the OP. It's a good point. What's the hook? What is going to draw the casual fan--like me (and I am a casual fan; I'm a Buffalonian but a hockey guy)--into the games? What's going to get the team to sell out games? I bid for the NE game last year in a charity auction, but I think I'd be hard pressed to do it again.

Winning. No more gimmicks.

You dont' have to worry about a product with the Buffalo fan base and Russ/Ralph know it. They will flock to the stadium even if the team is 0-16