Amendola..Welker clone Pats new go to guy

You've got this wrong. Here is what we know:

- The Pats allow Welker to hit free agency.

- The Pats agree to terms with Amendola and a contract is signed on Tuesday.

- Welker gets a 2/12m year offer from the Broncos on Wednesday

- Welker brings the offer back to the Pats to see if they'll match and the Pats tell him "We have signed Amendola, and therefore have redundancy at your position, so we're only willing to offer you 2/10m. Take it or leave it.

- Welker leaves and flies to Denver.

Good to know. So it was clearly not a panic move.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amendola didn't get as much as reported, and Welker got more, although still a decent contract.

Updating a previous item, Danny Amendola's five-year Patriots contract is worth $27.7 million.

The deal was originally reported at an agent-inflated $31 million. Amendola wound up getting less money per year than Wes Welker, which further supports the notion that the Patriots signed Amendola before Welker left for Denver. The Patriots also smartly tied up $1.72 million of the deal in per-game roster bonuses, meaning injury-prone Amendola will have to stay healthy to get that money. His signing bonus is $6 million. Amendola gets $10 million guaranteed.

Guy is going to be another terror we have to face in the division for several years .... ugh

Depends on if he's healthy for those games.

Amendola didn't get as much as reported, and Welker got more, although still a decent contract.

Even at $27.7M, that's still $540K more/year than they offered Welker. And once Welker turned down that offer, they went hard after Amendola. I doubt anyone else was willing to offer him anything close to what he got.

Pats have an offer in place for Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders. Steelers are cap strapped so the Pats can very likely make this an offer that the Steelers can't match. If so the Parts would give up their 3rd round pick.

Emmanuel and Amendola would certainly add some serious explosiveness to that offense.

Pats have an offer in place for Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders. Steelers are cap strapped so the Pats can very likely make this an offer that the Steelers can't match. If so the Parts would give up their 3rd round pick.

Emmanuel and Amendola would certainly add some serious explosiveness to that offense.

Or they could possibly be disappointments like Brandon Lloyd was.

The weird thing is that it seems to me that the Cheatriots*** main problems were on defense, not offense.

And yet it seems like they're putting a major emphasis on offense in free agency.

Maybe their plan is to draft for defense this year.

Or they could possibly be disappointments like Brandon Lloyd was.

The weird thing is that it seems to me that the Cheatriots*** main problems were on defense, not offense.

And yet it seems like they're putting a major emphasis on offense in free agency.

Maybe their plan is to draft for defense this year.

At 74-911-4, I'm not so sure Lloyd was all that much of a disappointment.I mean he caught just 5 balls less than what Stevie did. I'm not positive but my guess is you'd have to go back 4 or 5 years back to find a Bills WR, not named Johnson, who caught more balls than Lloyd did last year for the Pats.

Flip a coin on what they might do on defense but the free agency period just started.

At 74-911-4, I'm not so sure Lloyd was all that much of a disappointment.I mean he caught just 5 balls less than what Stevie did. I'm not positive but my guess is you'd have to go back 4 or 5 years back to find a Bills WR, not named Johnson, who caught more balls than Lloyd did last year for the Pats.

Flip a coin on what they might do on defense but the free agency period just started.

But if you talk to Cheatriots*** fans, Lloyd was generally considered a disappointment.

And he didn't add explosiveness to the offense.

I wasn't saying he had a bad season but expectations were very high for Lloyd and the production didn't match those expectations.

Because it's always about the conversation:

http://www.grantland...nfl-free-agency

Barnwell scores it for the Cheatriots***.

He's right: he does sound like Amendola's (and Belichick's) agent. He conveniently ignores guys like Ochocinco, Stallworth, Gaffney, Caldwell, Galloway, and especially Tim Dwight (who was supposed to be like Brown and Welker), who all had far more impressive resumes than Welker and Amedola, and focuses on Welker, who along with Moss for 3 years, were Belichick's only successes when it came to acquiring WR's. Even Lloyd was considered a disappointment because he couldn't duplicate his career-year under McDaniels in Denver, in Patsland. Actually Belichick has had success trading draft picks for WR's, not signing them as UFA's.

The odds are long that Amendola even comes close to Welker. Belichick at least had familiarity facing Welker since he faced him 4 times before trading for him. He's never faced Amendola (not unsurprisingly, he was injured and didn't play in last year's Rams-Pats game). And obviously the Pats are worried enough about his durability that they included health-related bonuses.

Amendola misses an average of 5.5 games a year. Expecting (hoping?) that to change is risky. You may not agree, but you'd be wrong.

I think that's a little misleading.

Amendola has essentially played 4 years. The first 2, almost exclusively as a KR/PR, pretty high contact, played 14 and 16 games. He's not intrinsically fragile.

In 2011, freak season ending injury game one (broken arm). In 2012, he suffered what might have been a season ending injury and was back after 3 games.

Averaging that to 5.5 games a year is sort of like the cartoon which shows a duck, a cluster of shots to the left, and a cluster of shots to the right with the caption "statistically the duck is dead". He's been pretty tough except when bitten with a season ending injury, which can happen to anyone. I think the jury is out on his overall durability.

Two things missing from the conversation:

1) Welker missed 5 games in 2010 and 4 games in 2012. It's not like Welker has been a steady diet of 16 games a season.

2) Watching the QB. Brady always throws the ball in the perfect place for Welker to curl up and protect himself. Bradford often threw the ball in such a way that Amendola had to extend himself or dive for it to make the reception - he did it, but he took a much harder pounding for his receptions.

If Amendola can adapt to the precise routes and the communication Brady demands, it's possible he can improve his injury history at least to Welker's level (missing average of 3.3 games/season over the last 3 years :nana: )

I think that's a little misleading.

Amendola has essentially played 4 years. The first 2, almost exclusively as a KR/PR, pretty high contact, played 14 and 16 games. He's not intrinsically fragile.

In 2011, freak season ending injury game one (broken arm). In 2012, he suffered what might have been a season ending injury and was back after 3 games.

Averaging that to 5.5 games a year is sort of like the cartoon which shows a duck, a cluster of shots to the left, and a cluster of shots to the right with the caption "statistically the duck is dead". He's been pretty tough except when bitten with a season ending injury, which can happen to anyone. I think the jury is out on his overall durability.

Two things missing from the conversation:

1) Welker missed 5 games in 2010 and 4 games in 2012. It's not like Welker has been a steady diet of 16 games a season.

2) Watching the QB. Brady always throws the ball in the perfect place for Welker to curl up and protect himself. Bradford often threw the ball in such a way that Amendola had to extend himself or dive for it to make the reception - he did it, but he took a much harder pounding for his receptions.

If Amendola can adapt to the precise routes and the communication Brady demands, it's possible he can improve his injury history at least to Welker's level (missing average of 3.3 games/season over the last 3 years :nana: )

Amendola started 8 games his first 2 seasons, meaning he was used in the passing game. As for Welker, he's missed just 3 games in his 6 years in Patsland (2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010).

Pats have an offer in place for Steelers RFA Emmanuel Sanders.

Incorrect.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/not-so-fast-on-emmanuel-sanders-to-new-england/

Also of note from the article, Pats have no 4th, 5th, or 6th this year. If they do indeed give up a 3rd for Sanders, that would leave them with just 3 picks in this years draft.

Amendola started 8 games his first 2 seasons, meaning he was used in the passing game. As for Welker, he's missed just 3 games in his 6 years in Patsland (2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010).

It's all about timing. Had Welker's ACL injury not occurred when it did (at the end of the season) he may have missed considerably more games. Conversely, had Amendola's injury occurred at the end of the regular season he would not have missed as many games.

Incorrect.

http://profootballta...to-new-england/

Also of note from the article, Pats have no 4th, 5th, or 6th this year. If they do indeed give up a 3rd for Sanders, that would leave them with just 3 picks in this years draft.

Tis true. There were erroneous reports out to the contrary.