Leodis McKelvin's Contract Breakdown

• • $2 million base salary fully guaranteed against skill, injury or cap
  • • $50,000 workout bonus

• • $2.1 million base salary, with $1.5 million guaranteed against injury only
  • • $1 million roster bonus

• • $3.1 million base salary
  • • $750,000 roster bonus

• • $3.1 million base salary
  • • $750,000 roster bonus

Source

Edited by buffalo1983

The Bills say they are cash to cap but it's not really true. I think in two of the last four years, including last year, they went over their own policy.

Whaaa? They've used cash-to-cap the last 4+ years. This signing is an excellent illustration of the two different accounting methods. With amortization the cap hit would be $3M, however under our cash to cap accounting, it's going to sting us for $6M this year. Still, an excellent signing.

Whaaa? They've used cash-to-cap the last 4+ years. This signing is an excellent illustration of the two different accounting methods. With amortization the cap hit would be $3M, however under our cash to cap accounting, it's going to sting us for $6M this year. Still, an excellent signing.

They said they operated under the cash to cap policy, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Bills actually spent more than the cap in cash in two of the last four years. They gave Mario 25 million in cash last year alone.

They said they operated under the cash to cap policy, but I'm pretty sure I read that the Bills actually spent more than the cap in cash in two of the last four years. They gave Mario 25 million in cash last year alone.

Nah Kelly you are just forgetting about the rollover. Last year before the Mario signing they rolled over a whopping $21M. This year they rolled over something like $9M.

Nah Kelly you are just forgetting about the rollover. Last year before the Mario signing they rolled over a whopping $21M. This year they rolled over something like $9M.

That I think is cap money.

The salary cap last year was 120 million. According to Forbes, we had 136 mil on player expenses for 2012.

http://www.forbes.co.../buffalo-bills/

This article shows the breakdown.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/1082

The Bills are coming off two straight years of big spending.

In terms of actual cash paid out, the Bills spent $139 million in 2012, according to News totals. That was the third highest spending total in the NFL, according to ESPN’s John Clayton. The total was $5 million over their adjusted cap and $18.5 million over the base NFL cap limit. In 2011, the Bills spent $137.4 million, which was $15 million over the NFL’s base cap level. The 2011 cash spend total ranked Buffalo about 16th in the NFL.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The salary cap last year was 120 million. According to Forbes, we had 136 mil on player expenses for 2012.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/1082

So that Ralph guy isn't cheap? I'm confused!

http://www.buffalone.../130219671/1082

Nah it gets added to the cap, read that second article you posted -

(numbers are for the upcoming 2013 season)

Each team is allowed to roll over unused cap space from last year, if it so chooses. The Bills rolled over $9.8 million in unused space, so their actual cap limit is $130.4 million.

The cap last year was $120M + $21M rollover for a total of $141M. We spent $139M out of $141M. (I have no idea why John Clayton said we were $5M over)

So that Ralph guy isn't cheap? I'm confused!

Shhhhhhh. We just lost our top 2 whipping boys, Kelsey and Fitz - you can't take away Ralph.

Nah it gets added to the cap, read that second article you posted -

(numbers are for the upcoming 2013 season)

The cap last year was $120M + $21M rollover for a total of $141M. We spent $139M out of $141M. (I have no idea why John Clayton said we were $5M over)

Shhhhhhh. We just lost our top 2 whipping boys, Kelsey and Fitz - you can't take away Ralph.

We're arguing semantics. When the Bills came out with their self-imposed cash to cap policy, it wasn't talking about adjusted caps and rollovers. They were talking about straight cap and straight cash. They don't really consider the cap because they are never in real danger of going over it. And it was the News' numbers, not Clayton's, that said they went over the adjusted cap as I read it. Only "third highest in the NFL" was in reference to Clayton. It flat states that they spent over the cap, and over the adjusted cap in cash last season. And I'm pretty sure they did it the second year after they said they were on this cash to cap thing, a few years ago.

We're arguing semantics. When the Bills came out with their self-imposed cash to cap policy, it wasn't talking about adjusted caps and rollovers. They were talking about straight cap and straight cash. They don't really consider the cap because they are never in real danger of going over it. And it was the News' numbers, not Clayton's, that said they went over the adjusted cap as I read it. Only "third highest in the NFL" was in reference to Clayton. It flat states that they spent over the cap, and over the adjusted cap in cash last season. And I'm pretty sure they did it the second year after they said they were on this cash to cap thing, a few years ago.

Well now you've got me confused what we are arguing. I know last year our cap number was $141M, and we spent $139M so it doesn't lead me to believe we have changed our accounting system. This year our ceiling is $130M, and I bet we settle in around $125M-$127M. Here's an older thread where I tried to break down this years numbers under cash to cap accounting.

Well now you've got me confused what we are arguing. I know last year our cap number was $141M, and we spent $139M so it doesn't lead me to believe we have changed our accounting system. This year our ceiling is $130M, and I bet we settle in around $125M-$127M. Here's an older thread where I tried to break down this years numbers under cash to cap accounting.

This link says the Bills adjusted cap was 134.5 from Cantora at NFL.com.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary-cap-situation-for-each-team/

The News link said it was 134.

This link from PFT says it was 133.9

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/adjusted-per-team-cap-numbers-for-2012/

Looks to me like we spent 5 mil over adjusted cash to cap and 18 mil over the cap.

Looks to me like we spent 5 mil over adjusted cash to cap and 18 mil over the cap.

It sure does, and it would explain Clayton's numbers. LaCanfora has us spending only $136.5, which would put us only $2M over the adjusted cap. Only reasoning I can think of is they broke their own accounting rules to land Mario. It doesn't necessarily indicate a change from our current system. As a matter of fact, LaCanfora lists us spending $136M in cash with almost $10M available in cap room, which pretty much confirms we are still using cash to cap methodology.

It sure does, and it would explain Clayton's numbers. LaCanfora has us spending only $136.5, which would put us only $2M over the adjusted cap. Only reasoning I can think of is they broke their own accounting rules to land Mario. It doesn't necessarily indicate a change from our current system. As a matter of fact, LaCanfora lists us spending $136M in cash with almost $10M available in cap room, which pretty much confirms we are still using cash to cap methodology.

Right. That's all I started saying, was that it was a self-imposed accounting system that had little to do with the league, but that they broke their own rules in two of the last four years. I'd have to look deeper for the earlier season that they did it. But IIRC, it was the second year after they started it. They certainly havent been cheap in quite some time.

"Player expenses" encompasses more than just player salaries. There are health insurance and training costs to consider, for example. And that's usually multi-millions of dollars per year.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9