DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

I find it very interesting that Dominik says, "that's all he's got on those three" when discussing the 3 players he's shopping around the league for a trade. He then only mentions the CB, EJ Biggers, and the T, Jamon Meredith. I really wonder who the 3rd guy is, in light of all this Josh Freeman gossip.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This very well could have killed the Fitz restructure. For all we know he may have been willing to take less, guy dug the town, the organization, the fans. He had never been more successful, then Buddy goes and ***** on him to other teams. Why would you take a pay cut to work for an employer who just told you, you suck at your job. He'll make the same as a restructured deal with another team either competing to start or I wouldn't be suprised if he became the backup in San Fran

For all we know you are Fitz weeping all over your keyboard. He is gone, accept it. You must be a real treat at funerals Ryan.

In Florida, generally all parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication. This means phone calls! Recording, disclosing, or endeavoring to disclose without the consent of all parties is a felony, unless the interception is a first offense committed without any illegal purpose, and not for commercial gain. Florida Statute section 934.03.

Felony if for profit or second offence....

Yep, I hope those guys sold their stuff to Deadspin for enough $$ to hire a good lawyer. Very similar laws in most states.

This is a gray area. If Deadspin were a FCC-licenced radio or TV station they would be boned right now. It's less clear if posting audio on a website breaks the same laws. It's a classic case of technology outpacing the law.

PTR

I'm pretty sure that recording a phone conversation for profit without the consent of both parties is a felony in most states

The Bills offered him a very small contract, before this came out, at only 3m a year for four years. And he and everyone else knew that they also signed Tjax to be a back-up and they would be drafting a QB high. This very likely had ZERO to do with his decision. He will get that money easily on another team. I thought they would offer him a lot more, for like two years. If I were him, I would have turned it down immediately, too, with nothing to do with the tape.

It's possible the tape simply made the decision a little easier, but ultimately had zero effect on his decision.

I think this is basically it. They were said to have offered him a contract *averaging* 3m/yr for 4 years. What was he going to be paid this year? $2M? less?

He ultimately said "I think I can get more elsewhere in this year's market" and Nix said "Good luck son!"

I doubt the tape had much to do with it.

I didn't read through all 19 pages so excuse me for asking. Who exactly was Fitz playing to backup? Is there some yet unknown free agent QB coming to town that we don't know about? Are they really expecting a rookie QB to come in and win the job? This ain't looking good.

I'm not a big Buddy fan, but this is just gross. Congrats to whoever got pseudo-famous for 24 hours at the expense of a secretary, who is probably upset beyond belief. All over a "story" that broke no significant news and will likely disappear in the next news cycle unless the NFL and/or the Feds decide to pursue the media group, in one way or the other.

Yes & no, I mean I agree here but I also keep thinking about if this had included a GM from say a fairly larger market (barring degrees of gullibility) ....

Imagine if this happened to the J-E-T-S (and their coach/GM ) !!!!

We'd probably never hear the end of it.

I didn't read through all 19 pages so excuse me for asking. Who exactly was Fitz playing to backup? Is there some yet unknown free agent QB coming to town that we don't know about? Are they really expecting a rookie QB to come in and win the job? This ain't looking good.

Nothing to really stop Buddy from naming his starters, like McKelvin, at this time. Not even clear he'll still be around when training camp opens.

Nothing to really stop Buddy from naming his starters, like McKelvin, at this time. Not even clear he'll still be around when training camp opens.

This isnt at you, but people really need to stop taking GMs and coaches literally. What Buddy said about Leodis was true, they consider him a starter. When you're negotiating with a player and you will let him fight it out for a starting job, like leo, you say stuff like that and it's true. That doesn't at all mean he is penciled in as a starter. Not to mention that all teams consider three CBs as starters.

When Buddy was talking about Fitz being a back-up, all he meant was he is not the franchise guy. We're looking to bring in a high draft pick that will eventually be our starter. Everyone knew that. It didnt at all mean Fitz wouldn't have started day one. It only meant we're going to pay him back-up money and look for a starter.

I'm not a big Buddy fan, but this is just gross. Congrats to whoever got pseudo-famous for 24 hours at the expense of a secretary, who is probably upset beyond belief. All over a "story" that broke no significant news and will likely disappear in the next news cycle unless the NFL and/or the Feds decide to pursue the media group, in one way or the other.

" Hello, this is Barack Obama, may I please speak with Buddy Nix ? "

" Oh, yes Sir! Right away, Mr. President "

I mean, is anyone else wondering why it was so easy to pull-off ?

Edited by Yonder_d7