Surprise move predictions...

Last Summer I predicted the suprise cut would be Moorman. I was half right as the cut did not happen in training camp.

This year I think the surprise could be the release of Sheppard.

He is completely inadequate as a MLB in a 4-3 and probably marginal at best in the 3-4. I think the Bills will sign two LB's in FA and add another two in the draft. I think Moats may stay only because he may be able to rotate in at DE. I wouldn't really care if he is cut too as I don't think he brings anything to the table except a few back-up reps. Bradham will get a chance to compete for a back-up OLB role assuming Anderson and Mario play the OLB roles in a 3-4 system. Bradham likely starts/palys at OLB if they play a four man front.

Your early predictions...

Nothing left to cut (IMO)...other than Brad Smith. Although there is a chance draftee or UDFA takes the place of Ruvell or A. Wiliams. I think they'll stick with Shep as a mobile ILB but in a hybrid type 3-4 Pettine will design. The round peg round hole theory where Pettine will find a way to use him correctly.

Surprise move? Mark Anderson gets cut.

Not a three down player, and he's coming off two knee surgeries and was extremely disappointing in his limited time. Could've been the coaching or it could be that he's just not that good. Plus he makes a decent chunk of change, and perhaps the new analytics dept figures they can replace a one trick pony with a more versatile player.

Edited by uncle flap

Sheppard is way better suited for the 3-4 and will be given every chance to be a starter

He will be at worst kept as a backup with his low salary

Edited by Max997

Hopefully Lindell, possibly brad smith (who I was always a fan of) and maybe Anderson. Not many other high priced players. Pears could be a casualty if we decide to draft a couple OL, resign Levitre and Hairston takes the next step and becomes a starter.

Agree Pears is gone if they draft OT in round 1. I thought about choosing Lindell but I don't think he would really be a surprise.

I think Smith comes relatively cheap so if the rookie QB beats out Jackson I could see him being retained. No way they keep him as a fourth QB and awful WR.

Agree Anderson could be gone as well. I have less faith he can play OLB than I do with Mario who showed he could do it under Wade. Maybe he can be a great OLB but I doubt it. He seems like a pass rushing 4-3 DE only. In retrospect Nix really screwed us by not extending Byrd or Levitre last Summer with the money he used on Anderson.

Anyone think Fred Jackson gets dinged up in traingin camp and gets cut? If he gets hurt I could see him getting cut right before the season so his salary is not guaranteed.

Lindell shoudlnt be a surprise cut, more like surprise if doesn't get cut. Smith I think they keep from the jets connection, and also as bad as our qb situation is he adds another option. Anderson wont get cut because too much guaranteed money and cap hit for yr2. I didn't like his signing last year, but now that he's here have to give him another year.

Hopefully Lindell, possibly brad smith (who I was always a fan of) and maybe Anderson. Not many other high priced players. Pears could be a casualty if we decide to draft a couple OL, resign Levitre and Hairston takes the next step and becomes a starter.

Lindell would be an extremely surprising cut IMO as he was only recently re-signed.

His cap situation.....though of a much lesser value.....is similar to that of Fitz. If we cut him before March 12 we save only 300K in cap having a 2.7m dead cap hit.....and if we cut him after March 12, we have a 900K dead cap hit plus a 1.8m dead cap hit next season.

Even more so with Mark Anderson. Cutting him prior to March 12 will actually cost us 500K more on the cap, totaling 4.5m dead cap hit......and if we cut him after March 12, we have a 1.5m dead cap hit plus a 3m dead cap hit next season.

Edited by Dibs

David Nelson re-signs

This certainly would be a surprise considering all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that his non-tendering caused.

It is also quite within the realms of possibility IMO.