20 years following this team: I've never been more pessimistic

Don't live vicariously through your favorite sports team.

Everyone here relates to how you're feeling but you have to separate the Bills fortunes from your own.

When/if you're successful in life, the Bills ineptitude won't weigh so heavily.

If your life is good, you already know all this and disregard if necessary.

This is great life advice but hard to follow when you work closely with people from all over the country who follow teams like the Packers, Stikllers, Giants, Pats (!), etc.

I don't hear the end of it on Mondays in the fall and I can't defend the franchise with a straight face anymore.

On the plus side, being a Bills fan has brought me instantly closer to other Bills fans, wherever I've gone.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need to start rooting for another team.

Couldn't agree more. Marrone did a fanatstic job with what he was left at Syracuse, 3 years as O/C under Peyton and he brought in a D coordinator anyone would have wanted. I finally think we are headed in the right direction! Don't jump off the bridge just yet, lets see what we do in FA and the draft.

IF anyone is going to instititue a culture change its Marrone. He had players quit because he was too hard of a coach. Thats the most encouraging thing ive read about this guy

Stop with this Marrone is going to be a hard a$$ garbage. Easy to be a tough guy with a bunch of recruits that were barely div 1 quality. Its another to play that game with NFL players. Even an established winner like Coughlin has had troub;le being a tough guy all the time, what makes you think a guy from Syracuse can come in and just change the culture of losing?

Couldn't agree more. Marrone did a fanatstic job with what he was left at Syracuse, 3 years as O/C under Peyton and he brought in a D coordinator anyone would have wanted. I finally think we are headed in the right direction! Don't jump off the bridge just yet, lets see what we do in FA and the draft.

Ah a true Bills fan. .500 is fantastic.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not going to not care the Bills this year. Or not follow the NFL. Or try to convince people not to watch.

I'm just genuinely curious: does anyone have any hope whatsoever for the coming season?

It's just (to me) mind boggling how inept this organization is.

In so many threads on here, for so long, I've defended the decisions the team has made. And when (usually) older posters would say something like "rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic," I would shake my head, thumb out something along the lines of "you gotta BILLieve," and smile coyly to myself knowing that when we won the super bowl NEXT season, i would have the last laugh.

I no longer feel that way.

THREE years ago, when the bills took baltimore to overtime, pittsburgh to overtime, and then won 4 in a row, it felt like a corner was turned. That was THREE years ago. We were "rebuilding" that entire time. Yet, here we are:

4 wins/6 wins/6 wins later. Rebuilding again.

No qb, no wideouts, no tight end, soon to be a weak interior line, no line backers, and a franchised safety who will probably walk next year.

It's been done to death, but I'll just say it again:

Our coach--couldnt succeed on the college level, in a bad conference. Now he's going to outsmart belliceck?

Our O coordinator has next to no NFL experience.

Our QB is unknown.

Our GM did so bad over the last 3 years, that we're rebuilding again. AND WE DIDNT FIRE HIM. were about to promote his protege!

we have no receivers.

we're going to let an olineman walk--to draft his replacement?? why? our running backs were dominant, and surprisingly, our qb didnt get sacked much--now we need to rebuild the oline??

If next season is a wash, then we are rebuilding again. Ok, why keep nix?

If we are close for next season, then why are we getting rid of these players (jones, nelson, etc.) It's because were not close, we're clearly going to rebuild! so fire nix! start over!

And next season, who's coming down the pike?

new england twice

pittsburgh

baltimore

cincy

new orleans

atlanta

theres 7 losses right there.

6 months til the season starts, but if this season is a wash, whats the point? ANOTHER rebuild?

i dont have the patience to prep myself for another 4 win season.

i cant believe im going to say this, but i am seriously considering not buying sunday ticket, and not spending my money on this team anymore. its just not worth it. 300+ dollars to watch a 3-5 win team "rebuild" for the 14th year in a row.

its so depressing.

Relax man, it's only football. Watch the games, enjoy your Bills and don't worry about wins and losses. I watch every week even when they suck and then I move on with my life. I have always and will always be a Bills fan, but we don't control whether they win or lose. I have every reason to believe that they will be better this year than last. New (better) head coach, new (better DC), new (better OC). I truly believe that this will be a good season and even if it's not, I'll watch the games with friends, have some beers and enjoy my Sundays.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not going to not care the Bills this year. Or not follow the NFL. Or try to convince people not to watch.

I'm just genuinely curious: does anyone have any hope whatsoever for the coming season?

In so many threads on here, for so long, I've defended the decisions the team has made. And when (usually) older posters would say something like "rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic," I would shake my head, thumb out something along the lines of "you gotta BILLieve," and smile coyly to myself knowing that when we won the super bowl NEXT season, i would have the last laugh.

THREE years ago, when the bills took baltimore to overtime, pittsburgh to overtime, and then won 4 in a row, it felt like a corner was turned. That was THREE years ago. We were "rebuilding" that entire time. Yet, here we are:

No qb, no wideouts, no tight end, soon to be a weak interior line, no line backers, and a franchised safety who will probably walk next year.

Our coach--couldnt succeed on the college level, in a bad conference. Now he's going to outsmart belliceck?

Our QB is unknown.

Our GM did so bad over the last 3 years, that we're rebuilding again. AND WE DIDNT FIRE HIM. were about to promote his protege!

we have no receivers.

we're going to let an olineman walk--to draft his replacement?? why? our running backs were dominant, and surprisingly, our qb didnt get sacked much--now we need to rebuild the oline??

If we are close for next season, then why are we getting rid of these players (jones, nelson, etc.) It's because were not close, we're clearly going to rebuild! so fire nix! start over!

new england twice

pittsburgh

baltimore

cincy

new orleans

atlanta

6 months til the season starts, but if this season is a wash, whats the point? ANOTHER rebuild?

i cant believe im going to say this, but i am seriously considering not buying sunday ticket, and not spending my money on this team anymore. its just not worth it. 300+ dollars to watch a 3-5 win team "rebuild" for the 14th year in a row.

its so depressing.

Buh-bye then. No one is keeping you here.

PTR

Stop with this Marrone is going to be a hard a$$ garbage. Easy to be a tough guy with a bunch of recruits that were barely div 1 quality. Its another to play that game with NFL players. Even an established winner like Coughlin has had troub;le being a tough guy all the time, what makes you think a guy from Syracuse can come in and just change the culture of losing?

The guy that was also a part of the culture change in New Orleans? Ya im optimistic he can do it

Ah a true Bills fan. .500 is fantastic.

.500? Most here would be happy with the lofty 7-9 Jauron teams. The ones that had "very little" talent when Nix got here.

Man those were the days! Like when Fritz was sitting on the bench and hired as strictly a backup by DJ. Good times, those were games you could nap through 3 quarters and not miss a thing. Maybe this season will hit that magical mark, but nothing to date indicates that. Most fans are stressed over the potential loss of a above average guard, after the team overpays for an above average DE last off season.

Nix will mire this team even deeper with another yet bizarre draft to look forward to. I wonder what track star he will move up to get this year?

Edited by Best Player Available

Our QB is unknown.

we have no receivers.

new england twice

pittsburgh

baltimore

cincy

new orleans

atlanta

its so depressing.

Send that $50 you owe me before you jump off the bandwagon.

Relax man, it's only football. Watch the games, enjoy your Bills and don't worry about wins and losses. I watch every week even when they suck and then I move on with my life. I have always and will always be a Bills fan, but we don't control whether they win or lose. I have every reason to believe that they will be better this year than last. New (better) head coach, new (better DC), new (better OC). I truly believe that this will be a good season and even if it's not, I'll watch the games with friends, have some beers and enjoy my Sundays.

hey now.

im not un-relaxed.

its not like i close the blinds and listen to coldplay when the bills lose a game on sunday.

i didnt post this on teensuicide.net, i posted it on a buffalo bills message board.

im not looking for a life affirmation here--im just sharing with fellow (hopefully) fans, the fact that the joy/optimism/hope FOR FOOTBALL that i have felt looking forward to each and every season for the last 20 years (football, not life. football) has been completely sucked out of me.

i look at our roster, and i see a team that would get absolutely smoked by alabama.

like, the nfl schedule will be out in a few weeks.

an event i look forward to every spring.

but this year, im just kinda :thumbdown: about the whole affair. ok, so we're going to play the patriots 2x? (and lose both) play the stacked afc north (and go 1-3). i mean, maybe something breaks our way here or there and we go, what, 7-9?

its just ive done this so many times. gailey was going to fix it, or jauron, or mularky, or williams.

and fitz was the future, then edwards was the future, or losman, or bledsoe.

its always hope for the best, be crushed by the dissapointment. this year, its expect the worst is coming, and maybe dvr the game and go do something better with my sunday. if we win, watch, if not, move on.

if we start 2-5, stop talking myself into the playoffs with a strong 8-1 finish, but just move on with my fall and get things done around the house.

The guy that was also a part of the culture change in New Orleans? Ya im optimistic he can do it

Marrone had nothing to do with anything in New Orleans. It was all Sean Payton. Also, unless the Bills have a Drew Brees coming in this argument is mute.

hey now.

im not un-relaxed.

its not like i close the blinds and listen to coldplay when the bills lose a game on sunday.

i didnt post this on teensuicide.net, i posted it on a buffalo bills message board.

im not looking for a life affirmation here--im just sharing with fellow (hopefully) fans, the fact that the joy/optimism/hope FOR FOOTBALL that i have felt looking forward to each and every season for the last 20 years (football, not life. football) has been completely sucked out of me.

i look at our roster, and i see a team that would get absolutely smoked by alabama.

like, the nfl schedule will be out in a few weeks.

an event i look forward to every spring.

but this year, im just kinda :thumbdown: about the whole affair. ok, so we're going to play the patriots 2x? (and lose both) play the stacked afc north (and go 1-3). i mean, maybe something breaks our way here or there and we go, what, 7-9?

its just ive done this so many times. gailey was going to fix it, or jauron, or mularky, or williams.

and fitz was the future, then edwards was the future, or losman, or bledsoe.

its always hope for the best, be crushed by the dissapointment. this year, its expect the worst is coming, and maybe dvr the game and go do something better with my sunday. if we win, watch, if not, move on.

if we start 2-5, stop talking myself into the playoffs with a strong 8-1 finish, but just move on with my fall and get things done around the house.

I think your post shows you still care, which is good.

I started in 1985 and I'm pretty much where you are. For years I followed the Bills to get back to that SB high and this time get the win. But the SB years are so far away now you have to redefine success. Just getting back to the playoffs is the goal now but even that seems out of reach. I'm trying to decide if I will shell out the $300 for Sunday ticket and frankly I don't see much hope this year.

I do see some opportunities though, if nothing else the new regime is finally taking a long view and not just trying to fill seats this year. A lot will depend on QB and there is time for that to play out, so for now I'm guardedly optimistic in the long term.

Marrone had nothing to do with anything in New Orleans. It was all Sean Payton. Also, unless the Bills have a Drew Brees coming in this argument is mute.

I think he may have learned a thing or two watching it and being a part of it. SU was laughable before he got there. I'm willing to give him a year to see if he is the coach we need

I couldn't agree with you more. Having been a fan for 40 years, I have seen it all, but I agree with all of your points. Even if Marrone is a decent coach, he does not enough players to build on anything. It will probably be a worse season this year, then slowly build back to mediocrity over the following seasons with no real progress being made. If the Bills draft Geno Smith, I probably will not renew for next year as he has loser written all over him. Good physical talent with no heat or leadership skills after watching him this year. I was rooting for Landry Jones, but he does not seem to be the answer either. Bad times. Hopefully they will draft well and get some decent free agents, but that's hoping and you know what happens when you hope.........not what you want

I also am overly obsessed with this team. I don't miss games. I've watched every last play of every blowout loss. After close losses (like the Pats last season), I don't speak to anyone or answer phone calls for a good 20-30 mins. I refuse to watch games with opposing teams fans. Seeing anyone cheer for my misfortune gets me extremely pissed off. I've always been competitive when I play sports and it transfers over to the Bills.

I'm not the least bit optimistic about this year. But this is an addiction for me. I don't think I'll ever overcome it.

I grew up around fair-weather Giants fans who can't name 1/4 of their roster. I get to watch and listen to them brag and jump around over their multiple SB wins.

If the Bills draft a RB or DT at #8 I will probably break various expensive things around my apartment, drop out of college and cry for days.

It's funny. It took me most of my life to be able to compartmentalize the damage that Bills losses did to my psyche. It's only been about 10 years (since I turned 40) that I've slowly been able to put things in the proper perspective.

Then last November when we played at the Cheatriots*** me and two of my closest buddies who live in NYC were supposed to have a phone call at halftime. If you remember the game there were a series of pro-New England officiating calls which sealed the Bills fate. The Bills played hard and played well but couldn't overcome the partisan officials and lost 37 to 31.

Throughout the first half I was so livid with the officials that when halftime came around and my buddies called, I was too pissed off to answer the phone, even though they are two of my closest friends and were probably feeling the same way. When the phone rang I actually wanted to throw it against the wall.

Says the guy with 15,000 posts on Bills forum :P :P

Do as I say, not as I do?

In truth though, the Cheatriots game aside, I care passionately for the Bills but don't let anything they do ruin my day. I try to maximize the good times and minimize the bad times.