Welker to test Free Agency (Update - now a Bronco)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see such a talented skill player leave the division. Bush to the Lions doesn't hurt either.

Amendola isn't half the player Welker is. Or maybe he is, because he'll play about half as many games (if that much).

Our luck he'd play 9 games. 2 against the Bills.

Wow the Pats are so cheap they wouldn't even beat 2 yrs/$12M for Brady's favorite target who has at least 2 good years left! I agree with Pittsburgh letting Wallace go, he's not worth what Miami's paying but Welker's definitely worth $6M especially for the Patriots. If I was a NE fan I'd be so pissed right now but as a Bills fan this is absolutely wonderful news!

It sounded like Wes got $6 M a year on a 2 year contract, I'm not sure of the terms like if it's $3 M this year + incentives & more next year but the cap should go up next year. That'll allow more room for extra monies to be paid. The Broncos are probably a player or two more away from a great chance at the Superbowl this season, health willing.

One of the many great attributes Belichick has is the ability to know when it's best to part ways with an older player. If he didn't match the affordable contract offer for Welker than he must have his reason(s).

Not in this case. Welker just came off a 118 catch, 1354 yard, and 6 TD season, meaning he hasn't shown signs of slowing down. And he accepted just a 2-year deal for just $6M/year. Neither the length nor salary were onerous for the Pats.

Not in this case. Welker just came off a 118 catch, 1354 yard, and 6 TD season, meaning he hasn't shown signs of slowing down. And he accepted just a 2-year deal for just $6M/year. Neither the length nor salary were onerous for the Pats.

With all due respect, Doc, I'll take Belichick's track record of success in matters such as these over yours.

With all due respect, Doc, I'll take Belichick's track record of success in matters such as these over yours.

His success rate in free agency has been pretty bad as of late. The last few moves that actually worked are limited, probably hernandez, gronk, and talib. Then the failures of haynesworth, ocho cinco, Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Stallworth, Brandon Lloyd, etc.

In fact, the patriots are minus 3 picks because of these moves. If the bills did that, there would be outrage.

Let's see. Welker gets $6M/year over the next 2 years, while the Pats sign Amendola, a guy who has missed 22 games over his first 4 years, to a deal averaging $6.2M/year.

His success rate in free agency has been pretty bad as of late. The last few moves that actually worked are limited, probably hernandez, gronk, and talib. Then the failures of haynesworth, ocho cinco, Anthony Gonzalez, Donte Stallworth, Brandon Lloyd, etc.

In fact, the patriots are minus 3 picks because of these moves. If the bills did that, there would be outrage.

Hernandez and Gronk were draft picks. Talib was a half-year deal and is likely gone. But yes, most of his FA moves have been busts.

Hernandez and Gronk were draft picks. Talib was a half-year deal and is likely gone. But yes, most of his FA moves have been busts.

Yeah, I was trying to also include drafts, because their drafts aren't much better than ours really. Their team is great because of Brady, Bellicheat, Wilfork, Mayo, their two TEs, and formally Welker. The rest of the team is pretty weak overall. They just lost welker and Chung... pats took two big steps backwards. and at worst, we took a step backwords losing levitre. but really, tavaris jackson is probably just as good if not better than fitz, lawson is better than what we had last year...... I don't think our season is doomed yet. And I am not ready to crown marrone as a good HC just yet, but I am pretty confident Pettine can make this a top 15 defense this year. Even without levtire, I don't think this team is any worse than last year. And from a big picture point of view, we are probably more improved than any other team in the afc east just on the coaching change alone.

The success rate I mention deals with Belichick's penchant for accurately deciding when it's time to let older players go .... not about his success in getting new FA's.