Welker to test Free Agency (Update - now a Bronco)

http://espn.go.com/b...ket-source-says

New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has no plans to re-sign with the team before first testing the free-agent market next week, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Well at the very least we might not have to see him 2 times a year anymore.. not sure I'd want to pay him to be on the Bills, but either way this is a good thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying for awhile that he'll be gone. I could see the 49'ers making a play for him if the Revis trade falls through.

And word is that the Pats might also cut Brandon Lloyd, who was a disappointment for them last year, and who is scheduled to receive a $3M option bonus on 3/16.

I'm not joining the "let's sign him" bandwagon. He's a product of being in a good system, IMO.

Not really. He is very much on the same page with a very good QB who can get him the ball at the exact right time and place. Call that a system, but systems need people who can actually perform the tasks demanded of them. He has skills. So does Brady. Will his work without Brady's? Tough to say.

Good news for Bills fans if he leaves NE. That dude has carved up the Bills D for years and is always in the right place. At some point his powers of shiftiness will dwindle, but I'd rather not wait for that to happen.

They'll just find someone else who can get open in short spaces to take beautifully delivered passes from Brady. Still, it would be nice to have him out of the division.

GO BILLS!!!

So who will the Pats get to replace Welker? Edelman is one possibility, but according to reports the Pats are considering....DAVID NELSON.

PTR

The article does not say that the Pats are considering Nelson.

While it's possible or even probable the writer is simply connecting dots.

He has no inside information indicating interest.

The incentive for the Buffalo Bills and all 30 other NFL team to sign Welker to whatever he wants is that he will no longer be on the Patriots.

It is worth the money to take him out of that offense. Danny Woodhead is not Wes Welker, that offense performs on a different level when Welker is in there.

Edited by Why So Serious?

http://espn.go.com/b...ket-source-says

New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has no plans to re-sign with the team before first testing the free-agent market next week, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Well at the very least we might not have to see him 2 times a year anymore.. not sure I'd want to pay him to be on the Bills, but either way this is a good thing.

I guess his feelings were hurt the beginning of the year when the OC didn't use him. Either way, I think he hits free agency and finds out that there isn't a big market for him and he ends up back in NE where the system makes him what he is.

The incentive for the Buffalo Bills and all 30 other NFL team to sign Welker to whatever he wants is that he will no longer be on the Patriots.

Maybe but no NFL team will use that as the sole reason to sign him. They would sign him if he fits their plans.

Anything else would be a bonus.

Good news if he goes outside the AFC East. I could see the Steelers, 49ers, or Miami making a move for him.

The Steelers don't overpay for their own aging vets, let alone someone else's. It's not their style. They have some good young receivers in Brown & Sanders and would go younger and cheaper than Welker for Wallace's replacement, IMO. In the end, I could see Welker re-signing with NE* when seeing that the money won't be much less than what he's offered elsewhere.

[/size]

The Steelers don't overpay for their own aging vets, let alone someone else's. It's not their style. They have some good young receivers in Brown & Sanders and would go younger and cheaper than Welker for Wallace's replacement, IMO. In the end, I could see Welker re-signing with NE* when seeing that the money won't be much less than what he's offered elsewhere.

I also think this is most likely.

Being on the free market gives both Welker and the team the peace of mind that the eventual contract is fair to both sides.

I see the same thing with Dashon Goldson in San Francisco.

Maybe but no NFL team will use that as the sole reason to sign him. They would sign him if he fits their plans.

Anything else would be a bonus.

Correct. I have no concerns about his ability to produce from the slot.

He is not as old as people say he is. He is basically exactly the same size as Steve Largent and Steve Largent played until he was 35. Steve Largent played in an era where Steve AtWater and Ronnie Lott could explode a WR in front of your eyes and it would be completely legal. Not to mention the improvements in health and fitness.

I fully anticipate atleast 3 more productive years from Welker without a problem.