Best mock I've seen.

I don't like, just say no the Geno Smith. I happen to think he is not going to do all that well in the pros.

Most QBs....including the 1st rounders....including the high 1st rounders....don't do all that well in the pros.

The thing is, you never know until they are in the pros......and if you don't try your luck you'll never have one that does well in the pros.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol at geno shouldnt be a top 10 maybe 15-20 but not top 10. 5 spots in the draft dont really matter if the guy is gonna be a franchise player. idk if he is or not but if they think he is they shouldnt pass cause its 8th and not 15th

a lot of teamns did this with dan marino way back when and never got over it....

some of you still don't get it. the "mock draft" and "player rankings" that go on before the draft don't apply to QB's. if a team needs a QB they are going to get their guy. doesn't matter where he is projected. if Marrone thinks Nassib (or Geno or whoever) is his guy do you really think he's not going to take him because some clown at ESPN says he's a 2nd or 3rd round talent and risk not being able to get him at all? as we have seen for the last 15 yrs of this franchise, a coach's job depends on having a solid QB

Most QBs....including the 1st rounders....including the high 1st rounders....don't do all that well in the pros.

The thing is, you never know until they are in the pros......and if you don't try your luck you'll never have one that does well in the pros.

Very well said.

some of you still don't get it. the "mock draft" and "player rankings" that go on before the draft don't apply to QB's. if a team needs a QB they are going to get their guy. doesn't matter where he is projected. if Marrone thinks Nassib (or Geno or whoever) is his guy do you really think he's not going to take him because some clown at ESPN says he's a 2nd or 3rd round talent and risk not being able to get him at all? as we have seen for the last 15 yrs of this franchise, a coach's job depends on having a solid QB

To an extent, you are right. However, do recognize that there ARE evaluations that teams do of QBs and some of the "clowns" in the media were in the league and did that for a living - so they have some credibility.

I definitely agree that if a team in need of a QB thinks a particular player has a good probability of being a good starting NFLQB, then they should take him with their 1st pick, no question. However, I think what we have this year is a bunch of QBs who are judged to have only a moderate chance of becoming a good starter in the league. Then the question becomes how much are you willing to bet that one of these guys will pan out? Maybe the 8th overall pick is too much to bet - depends on the professional scout's judgement of the probability of success.

I am starting to think the Raiders will take Geno.

It just seems like the type of move Al Davis would have made if he were still here.

I would like this draft a lot provided the Bills get a LB or two in FA.

With the word on the street that the Raiders are trying to trade their #3, I think that's the only way we get Geno. Even then, it may be too late if Jax grabs him. Otherwise, there's no absolute way he falls to our spot.

I totally agree with this. The first round can be thought of as 2 separate drafts; one for QBs and one for every other position. Before the draft, teams ask themselves which draft they want to be in. Whether you need a QB or not is a simple question. There's no gray area here. If they then decide they need a QB, it's which one and they are then competing with other teams lined up to get a QB. Teams don't ask themselves whether they should draft a QB or a DE, or a QB or a CB. And as it happens, there are a handful of QB needy teams in front of us.

While I don't like Nassib at 8 I feel he has more to offer, at the pro level than Smith. It's sad that we have stooped to drooling over any QB other than Fitz, but patience is a virtue. A true #1 WR would be great at 8, or a stud LB,or CB if they like. If this crop of QB's had come out last year they would probably fall to the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe lower. Drafting for need seldom works out well. A couple of years ago people were lobbying for Blaine Gabbert. He may be available. Any takers???????

I totally agree with this. The first round can be thought of as 2 separate drafts; one for QBs and one for every other position. Before the draft, teams ask themselves which draft they want to be in. Whether you need a QB or not is a simple question. There's no gray area here. If they then decide they need a QB, it's which one and they are then competing with other teams lined up to get a QB. Teams don't ask themselves whether they should draft a QB or a DE, or a QB or a CB. And as it happens, there are a handful of QB needy teams in front of us.

It also may be that there are no very good QB prospects. There is also very definitely a gray area. No question that the Bills need to get a much better QB In order to be a contender, but it isn't very clear to me which, if any, of the available prospects are good enough to get the Bills into true contention. I'll admit that it might not be difficult to find someone that is a bit better than the Bills' current QB, but they need a major upgrade - especially if it is going to cost their 1st or 2nd pick (less concerned with gambling the 2nd)

I'm hoping Geno Smith is long gone when Buffalo picks simply because Mike Mayock says he has too many holes in his game to be taken at #8. The guy should be the 15th to 25th pick and not a top ten.

I'd rather see the bills take an OT, WR, LB, and a QB in the 2nd or trade back into the first and take the QB

I like Mayock a lot, but do not forget that he said Gabbert was more ready for the NFL than Cam Newton. He aslo said he thought Robert Ayers (Broncos) would be the best denfensive player of that draft. H e is GOOD, but not always right.

With the word on the street that the Raiders are trying to trade their #3, I think that's the only way we get Geno. Even then, it may be too late if Jax grabs him. Otherwise, there's no absolute way he falls to our spot.

Ah, smart move by the Raiders then to 'start showing interest in Geno'.

The Raiders then dangle their pick and see if a team like the Bills jumps at it.

I think between now and the draft their is going to be a lot of 'games' being played. This draft has so many players that have little differential value. It will com edown to what team thinks what about a certain guy. There does not appear to be lock down number 1-5 guys. This opens the door for trades to happen all over the place in the first round. Might make for an exciting first night.

Submitted for consideration:

Cam Newton:

2010 Passer rating of 182.0, 66.1%, 2854 yds, 10.2 yds/att, 30 TDs, 7 int.

Geno Smith:

2012 Passer rating of 163.9, 71.2%, 4205 yds, 8.1 yds/att, 42 TDs, 6 int.

source: www.profootballreference.com

If Newton had been available to us in the 2011 draft, instead of Marcel Dareus, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we would have taken Newton. Newton and Smith are not the same QB of course, but analytics may bring you to the conclusion that Smith is attractive at #8.

Submitted for consideration:

Cam Newton:

2010 Passer rating of 182.0, 66.1%, 2854 yds, 10.2 yds/att, 30 TDs, 7 int.

Geno Smith:

2012 Passer rating of 163.9, 71.2%, 4205 yds, 8.1 yds/att, 42 TDs, 6 int.

source: www.profootballreference.com

If Newton had been available to us in the 2011 draft, instead of Marcel Dareus, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we would have taken Newton. Newton and Smith are not the same QB of course, but analytics may bring you to the conclusion that Smith is attractive at #8.

This vague "analytics" is far more than comparing stat line summaries.

A couple of differences between Newton and Smith:

1. Newton took his team to the National Championship in his one and only year in D1 (not counting his freshman year when he lost out to Tebow at Fla)

Smith faded after a hot start and his team lost 5 games in a row (or close to that) and they lost to an unspectacular SU team in their bowl game

2. Newton is considerably bigger/stronger than Smith

3. Newton has a bigger "presence"

4. Smith supposedly has the edge in dedication/work habits

5. Smith does not come with the off-field baggage that Newton did.

Not sure if Jax will go QB after the Gabbert debacle. They might be gun shy. If the Bills like Smith and he's there or any other QB they got their heart set on they will take him regardless of the medias rankings. I just hope they don't go WR in the first because a good one can be had in rd 2 on as this draft is loaded with them. Plus I think the learning curve with wideouts is one of the toughest transitions. We'll see in a month and change.

I'm hoping Geno Smith is long gone when Buffalo picks simply because Mike Mayock says he has too many holes in his game to be taken at #8. The guy should be the 15th to 25th pick and not a top ten.

I'd rather see the bills take an OT, WR, LB, and a QB in the 2nd or trade back into the first and take the QB

Agree

If the Bills don't re-sign Levitre, OT 1 st rd for sure, OG later rds

Edited by independent

Mike Mayock couldn't possibly be wrong.

Sincerely,

Robert Ayers

Jamarcus Russell

2006 Passer rating of 167.0, 7.8%, 3129 yds, 9.1 yds/att, 28 TDs, 8 int

just sayin

That's why you do all the interviews and vetting, no? I mean, unless Russell was muuuuuuuuch better at lying to make himself sound smart and dedicated than he was at eating himself out of house and home and lazing around (his specialties), doesn't that stuff come through in the vetting? Since the Raiders had that pick we can't say that Russell was unequivocally the top choice. They don't seem to value character too much...