New Cap #s with Kelsey gone?

"Skruski also says that leaves the team with $28.425 of cap space heading into free agency." http://billsdaily.com/news/

Anyone know if this includes roll over from last year? I thought we would be well into the 30s with all the cuts and roll over?

actually, that is based on an outdated team salary cap figure of $121 million......latest projections place it at $123.........so we have about $30 mil.........$5 mil of which is saved for 2013 draft choices........around $6 mil for Byrd and $8 mil for Levitre..........that leaves about $11 mil.

actually, that is based on an outdated team salary cap figure of $121 million......latest projections place it at $123.........so we have about $30 mil.........$5 mil of which is saved for 2013 draft choices........around $6 mil for Byrd and $8 mil for Levitre..........that leaves about $11 mil.

But does the 30mil include rolling over the 9some mil cap from last year?

Now if Fitz would restructure his deal... Just saying, we gave him a chance to be the man and he failed. Now man up and give us some more cap space so we can love you while we groom our QB of the future. He already hauled away a nice chunk of change. Plenty of other guys doing it (I know the situation is different but he does owe something to us for giving him a chance and a Brinks Armored car!).

Not sure the Bills are on the "cash to the cap' system that they were on a few years ago when they had the double whammy of not actually having many good players on their roster to pay and not being able to get any good ones to come play for them. It was a very convenient excuse.

That being the case, I would be surprised if any Levitre deal came with a 2013 cap number of $8M. Could be, but even if the deal averaged $8M on it's surface the chances are that the upfront payment will also come with a backloaded base salary for a couple years. The cap figures to go up significantly again in the next few years and backloaded base salaries could actually work to Levitre's advantage of he was still playing at a high level because they would allow him leverage for a re-structure and extension or allow him to be cut and hit the open market as a good player in a year with a much higher cap limit.

That's not bad at all. I think that might mean we'd keep our own and probably be able to pick up a quality WR and LB in FA, plus 2-3 other more marginal guys to compete at spots like LB, DE, S, CB and TE, leaving only 3-4 spots to be filled in via the draft, where we should be able to draft at least 2 more impact players. Unfortunately the biggest of those remaining needs for the draft would be QB....

So if we get Fitz down to $3 mil, Byrd is 6 from the tag, and Levitre gets a long term deal, but maybe ony $6 mil this year, we're looking at possibly $18 mil of cap space, and we need from what I read prior $5.4 mil for our draft picks. That means approximately, $12.6 mil or so. Considering we buy some cheap talent, we could still afford one decent early signing in free agency at around $7 mil. Does that sound right from our accounting guys on the board, or please let me know when you look at all of these variables, what is our money left to spend.

Even if Fitz does not man up and do the right thing to renegotiate at a lower salary we still can get rid of Brad Smith at $2,750,000 more cap room, giving us $15 mill for free agents. Does anyone really think he has provided almost 3 million of value at WR? Hopefully the new offense will toss out the wildcat as a regular option. It's time has long gone as anything but a rare gimmick play, so his value must be judged strictly as a below average WR. I'd rather either get some decent talent at WR or someone younger and cheaper with a possible bigger upside. I wonder what type of FA talent we could get for 5 million for a WR? Another 5 million for a FA LB and 5 million for some role playing FAs to fill our holes enough to use the draft to bring in the right new blood.

Edited by simpleman

Even if Fitz does not man up and do the right thing to renegotiate at a lower salary we still can get rid of Brad Smith at $2,750,000 more cap room, giving us $15 mill for free agents. Does anyone really think he has provided almost 3 million of value at WR? Hopefully the new offense will toss out the wildcat as a regular option.

Okay, I agree. Dump the Wildcat.

How does everyone feel about Brad Smith running plays out of the Read Option?

I dont think resigning Levitre is in the plans. Just a hunch, but the facts of:

1. Locking Ubrik up so early in the process

2. No talks between Levitre, his agent and the Bills as little as 4 days ago

3. The fact he will become one of the top 3 paid Guards in the league

4. The fact the Bills have so many other needs

The only way I could see Levitre resigning is maybe with Fitz renegotiation. Without, just to many holes to fill.