Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

Smoke-E

Warmack. Fisher. Johnson. Geno Smith. Jordan. Arguments can be had all day for every prospect being mentioned and I wouldn't be upset with any of them. But what I don't want is ANY player who lines up 20 yards from the ball. No CBs. No WRs. No Safeties. The Bills front 7 needs serious attention and they have no QB. Now, with Levitre going away, they need a LG and a RT. Whomever has the best chance to fill one of those positions in the best possible way is who I want at 8. Please, for once, a Rookie of the Year. A Pro Bowler. A HOFer.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guard is the most replaceable position in football. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try your best to get a good one, but think about the position for a minute. If you have a good C and T, how much difference does a guard make? C is a way more important position because they make all the line calls. Tackles are out on an island. Guards are surrounded.

I really like Levitre and want him back. But Wood (especially if he can stay healthy) means a lot more to the oline than Levitre. And if the Bills ever spend a top 10 pick on a guard, I will burn down Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Guard is the most replaceable position in football. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try your best to get a good one, but think about the position for a minute. If you have a good C and T, how much difference does a guard make? C is a way more important position because they make all the line calls. Tackles are out on an island. Guards are surrounded.

I really like Levitre and want him back. But Wood (especially if he can stay healthy) means a lot more to the oline than Levitre. And if the Bills ever spend a top 10 pick on a guard, I will burn down Ralph Wilson Stadium.

That's pretty strong...

Agreed 100%...Teams like the Bills, with holes all over the roster, do not have the luxury of taking an OG in the top 10...If anything the Bills would Draft an OT and slide someone inside...But I doubt very much, no matter what happens with Levitre, that the Bills go O-Line in the 1st...I would be very surprised if they did...Shocked actually... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Please no. If he's the pick, at least we know we're getting a good player. I think he has about as high of a floor as any guard I've seen. #8 is just too high. Geno, Barkley, Jarvis jones or Dion Jordan at 8 please

Please no. If he's the pick, at least we know we're getting a good player. I think he has about as high of a floor as any guard I've seen. #8 is just too high. Geno, Barkley, Jarvis jones or Dion Jordan at 8 please

Based on what? Do you watch a lot of college football and focus on guards? Or are you just saying that based on what the talking heads are saying?

Based on what? Do you watch a lot of college football and focus on guards? Or are you just saying that based on what the talking heads are saying?

Based on what? Based on how many teams in nfl history have drafted guards in the top 8? Too tired to do any more research, but: OL Drafted Top 7 Overall, By College Pos.

Pos. T G C

1967-1978 8 3 1

1979-1988 8 2 0

1989-1998 7 0 0

1999-now 14 0 0

Totals 37 5 1

Source: ESPN Stats & Information

So.....yeah. In the last 24 years, ZERO guards have been picked in the top 7. We pick 8th. My analysis is based off of watching a lot of college football games, highlight videos and game video to go along with reading scouting reports from a couple of my favorite sites. I said Warmack is a good player. Might even be a pro bowler every year. I'd still rather have a QB or an impact pass rusher/LB than a guard. Are the talking heads the ones saying that QB play and pass rush are the most important pieces to a successful team. Take your guard. I'll take geno, Barkley, jones or Jordan. K thx.

Not sure what your issue is with my post, considering that you agree with me that taking a guard at #8 is bad. Are you just trying to call me out as some scrub that learns his info from the bleacher report. Enlighten me.

Edited by NewEra

Based on what? Based on how many teams in nfl history have drafted guards in the top 8? Too tired to do any more research, but: OL Drafted Top 7 Overall, By College Pos.

Pos. T G C

1967-1978 8 3 1

1979-1988 8 2 0

1989-1998 7 0 0

1999-now 14 0 0

Totals 37 5 1

Source: ESPN Stats & Information

So.....yeah. In the last 24 years, ZERO guards have been picked in the top 7. We pick 8th. My analysis is based off of watching a lot of college football games, highlight videos and game video to go along with reading scouting reports from a couple of my favorite sites. I said Warmack is a good player. Might even be a pro bowler every year. I'd still rather have a QB or an impact pass rusher/LB than a guard. Are the talking heads the ones saying that QB play and pass rush are the most important pieces to a successful team. Take your guard. I'll take geno, Barkley, jones or Jordan. K thx.

Not sure what your issue is with my post, considering that you agree with me that taking a guard at #8 is bad. Are you just trying to call me out as some scrub that learns his info from the bleacher report. Enlighten me.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear. My question was directed at your comment that Warmack has "as high a floor as any guard I've seen." I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I'm just not sure how anyone can really say that about a college guard. It would seem to be hard to say that there is something drastically different between Warmack this year and DeCastro last year.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear. My question was directed at your comment that Warmack has "as high a floor as any guard I've seen." I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, I'm just not sure how anyone can really say that about a college guard. It would seem to be hard to say that there is something drastically different between Warmack this year and DeCastro last year.

I've watched a fair abount of AL video from this year, and one thing that's clear from watching is this kid's sheer physical dominance. If you watch the championship game where Te'o got humiliated, you'll see that most of the time it was Warmack humiliating him. The kid rarely gets beaten in the pass game, and is a force in the run game. If he was on our team, defenses would play hell trying to stop the run to the left, and we'd see a lot more 3rd and shorts converted on the ground.

For argument's sake let say their strategy is to take Geno Smith if he's available and if he's not the plan is to strengthen the OL and wait until round 2 for a QB.

If so, I think they'd take Joeckel, Fisher, then Johnson before Warmack. Even if Warmack ends up being a Hall of Fame OG he isn't going to make as much of an impact as a dominant OT would.

As many have already said you don't draft a G in the top 10. If you can come up with a plausible scenario where the Bills trade back get extra picks and then draft Warmack then that might be something to consider.

For argument's sake let say their strategy is to take Geno Smith if he's available and if he's not the plan is to strengthen the OL and wait until round 2 for a QB.

If so, I think they'd take Joeckel, Fisher, then Johnson before Warmack. Even if Warmack ends up being a Hall of Fame OG he isn't going to make as much of an impact as a dominant OT would.

This is actually what makes the most sense. A LT at 8. Remember that our rookie LT was a very highly regarded G in college too. I see the Bills either doing this or getting a quality pass rusher at #8. Not sure which, but a LT makes a lot of sense.

This is actually what makes the most sense. A LT at 8. Remember that our rookie LT was a very highly regarded G in college too. I see the Bills either doing this or getting a quality pass rusher at #8. Not sure which, but a LT makes a lot of sense.

BIg Mike Williams ? Its all a gamble. Jarvis Jones ,spinal problem or not ,seems like a impact player.

I want the Bills to draft Chance Warmack. By most accounts this kid is the best guard in a decade, perhaps since Steve Hutchison. Don't you have to draft a guy like that if he is available when you pick (regardless of needs)!?!? I certainly haven't heard such accolades about anyone else in this year's draft! Even if we do resign Levitre, I'd still take him and I'd move Urbik outside to RT.

My logic is this...a top flight, stout O-Line truly makes everyone on offense better - the QB by giving him and extra secound or two to find an open man, the WRs by giving them an extra second or two to create separation and get open, and the RBs by creating more/better/bigger holes. And not to mention...there is no point in drafting a franchise QB or even a developmental QB if he's just going to get killed. You need to protect him and give him the best possible chance to develop, to build confidence and to actually succeed. Furthermore, doesn't a top notch O-Line play to our one and only team strength - our RBs and our running game? It supports our best two players and best offensive weapons - CJ and Freddie! Maybe I'm overly critical, but I am NOT a firm believer in the strength of our O-Line. We're close but not there yet. A line with Glenn-Levitre-Wood-Warmack-Urbik looks pretty damn sweet to me.

Chance Warmack, OG-ALA (6-2 3/8, 325)

Production 1 2009: Played five games at OG as true freshman; 2010: Started all 13 at LOG; 2011: Started all 13 at LOG Height-Weight-Speed 3 Slightly shorter and heavier than the average OG prospect at past five NFL combines. But is country strong and moves well for his size/position. Durability 1 as started all 26 games during past two seasons combined (2010-11). Intangibles 2 Has been a consistent, reliable player throughout career. Continues to improve. Has taken care of his business in the classroom and has no off-the-field issues to our knowledge. Enrolled early at UA (January of 2009).

Pass Protection 2 Wide-body OG with adequate lateral agility and overall athleticism for the position. But he's a natural knee bender with good short-area quickness and balance. Light on his feet. Explosive punch. Occasionally can get knocked back by powerful bull rusher and will let pads get too high. But more often than not, shows ability to re-sink hips and regain balance/leverage. Very good awareness and consistently picks up twists, stunts, blitzes and delayed blitzes. Run Blocking 1 Consistently does a good job with his first step to get quality initial positioning. Has a strong lower body and a powerful upper body. Can jar defender initially but also has the leg drive and tenacity to sustain and generate a surge. Tough, thick and smart run blocker. Impressive initial quickness and mobility when getting out on pulls. Takes solid angles. Good balance in space. Consistently shows ability to hit moving target on second level. Awareness 1 Very good football intelligence. Knows opponents' tendencies. Film work transfers to the field. Keeps head on a swivel in pass pro. Very good awareness versus stunts, twists and blitzes. Does a nice job of locating assignments on pulls and second-level blocks. Toughness 1 Classic OG tough guy - both physically and mentally. Keeps chopping away at defenders every play. Fights hard to regain leverage if he loses it initially. Not satisfied until he buries the defender. Plays hard for four quarters. Takes pride in his craft.

You've expressed yourself well, but I disagree with your conclusion that the Bills should add Warmack to their war machine.

> Don't you have to draft a guy like that if he is available when you pick (regardless of needs)!?!?

The problem is that the Bills have a number of needs at premium positions. (Pass rusher, CB, and above all, QB.) If the Bills use the 8th overall pick in the draft for a player at a non-premium position, then how should they go about filling their needs at premium positions?

> My logic is this...a top flight, stout O-Line truly makes everyone on offense better

I'll agree with that up to a point. However, the Ravens of 2000 had a very good offensive line, led by Hall of Fame LT Jon Ogden. Nevertheless, that offense went five straight games without scoring a touchdown, due mostly to problems at the QB position. (They had Tony Banks at QB for the first part of that stretch, then switched to Dilfer.) A lack of pass protection can take an otherwise effective quarterback and make him ineffective. But the presence of good pass protection will not make Trent Dilfer or Ryan Fitzpatrick into Joe Montana.

> And not to mention...there is no point in drafting a franchise QB or even a developmental QB if he's just going to get killed.

I disagree with this as well. If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, and if you could use the first overall pick on Peyton Manning, you take him. Period. That said, the Bills are a long way from being like that hypothetical expansion franchise. Glenn looks like he could be the answer at LT, Wood is a good center when healthy, Urbik is reasonably solid at RG, and Hairston and Pears hold the fort at RT. Assuming Levitre walks, our only real hole on the OL will be at LG. Using the 8th overall pick to fill a hole like that is an overreaction. There are perfectly good LGs to be had in the second or third rounds, or in free agency. Maybe not as good as Warmack, but good enough.

I've watched a fair abount of AL video from this year, and one thing that's clear from watching is this kid's sheer physical dominance. If you watch the championship game where Te'o got humiliated, you'll see that most of the time it was Warmack humiliating him. The kid rarely gets beaten in the pass game, and is a force in the run game. If he was on our team, defenses would play hell trying to stop the run to the left, and we'd see a lot more 3rd and shorts converted on the ground.

He would make the running and passing game better for sure.

I would only be happy with the pick (Warmack) if the Bills trade back into the first or at the top of the 2nd and get a QB.

Then I would be happy because that would be an excellent draft.

Depends on who we get in FA, if we go heavy on Defense in FA , then we could have wiggle room on who top pick at 8.