Falcons to release Turner, Robinson, Abraham

JM57

See title.

Wouldn't mind seeing Dunta Robinson opposite of Gilmore. He may not be elite, but he's a proven veteran who isn't terrible and could bring some stability and nastiness to the defensive backfield (albeit with some unnecessary roughness flags along the way).

Signing a proven veteran to play with Gilmore greatly downplays the need to go CB at #8 and instead would allow them to focus on their other much more pressing needs.

The release of Turner was a foregone conclusion.

I'm a bit surprised that Robinson is gonna be let go and quite surprised that Abraham will be released.

While Abraham isn't an every-down player at his age, he's still one of the premier pass rushers in the league and good pass rushers don't grow on trees.

Here's what CB Dunta Robinson said about J.P. Losman's 340-yard day, 265 of them going to Lee Evans:

"Embarrassing. The guy just threw the ball up in the air and prayed that Lee Evans would run up under it. If that had been Peyton Manning, you'd expect it. But it was J.P. Losman. That's embarrassing."--Texans CB Dunta Robinson.

Ha, good times. There may have been some truth to it, but I still thought he was do***ey for saying it.

See title.

Wouldn't mind seeing Dunta Robinson opposite of Gilmore. He may not be elite, but he's a proven veteran who isn't terrible and could bring some stability and nastiness to the defensive backfield (albeit with some unnecessary roughness flags along the way).

Signing a proven veteran to play with Gilmore greatly downplays the need to go CB at #8 and instead would allow them to focus on their other much more pressing needs.

I knew it would take about 2 seconds for someone to say we should bring these guys in.

The way I see it, Atlanta cut these players for good reasons. Abraham was the most effective of the 3, but he is really late in his career. Expecting much out of him in a new system at his age would be pretty optimistic.

I used to be a huge Turner fan, and wanted the Bills to make a play for him when he was with SD. He used to have that amazing combo of speed and bowling ball build. Back then he was the burner though, now he is more like the blob. He has just gotten slow, fat and old. I'd take Tashard Choice over him at this point in his career.

Dunta has just never been as good as he was supposed to be. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to compete if he came at a reasonable price. But I'm not a big fan. So I guess I agree with you that of the 3, Dunta would make the most sense.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So a team that is a division winner, had the first spot in the playoffs and was a play or two from the superbowl lets these guys go and we want them?

Dear God, lets try this again... if a great team like that lets them go (other than obvious salary cap reasons) we don't want them. That means they aren't that good anymore because a good team isn't going to let good players go.

Why is this still missed?

So a team that is a division winner, had the first spot in the playoffs and was a play or two from the superbowl lets these guys go and we want them?

Dear God, lets try this again... if a great team like that lets them go (other than obvious salary cap reasons) we don't want them. That means they aren't that good anymore because a good team isn't going to let good players go.

IF I UNDERSTAND YOUR HYPOTHESIS CORRECTLY THEN IT'S the bad teams that are then ones that release the good players

Edited by Snorom

Go to your room.

Here's what CB Dunta Robinson said about J.P. Losman's 340-yard day, 265 of them going to Lee Evans:

"Embarrassing. The guy just threw the ball up in the air and prayed that Lee Evans would run up under it. If that had been Peyton Manning, you'd expect it. But it was J.P. Losman. That's embarrassing."--Texans CB Dunta Robinson.

Ha, good times. There may have been some truth to it, but I still thought he was do***ey for saying it.

I remember that but I'd be pissed if Losman light up my team as well. It is embarrassing (and not just because I left Evans on my bench in fantasy that week. Still pissed about that).

And Abraham and Turner are too injury prone and slow. But Robinson could be interesting if his price was right. I think he went to South Carolina too so he might be a good mentor for Gilmore.

ummm. I've said some stupid things on this board before but nothing this bad I hope.

Good players on a great team can still be better then the best players on a bad team.

Er. Well.

I empathize because all the "I've heard of him, git 'er done" "anyone is better than our guy" stuff on TBD does irk me at times.

On the other hand, while good teams don't let stars and key players go if they can help it, good teams DO let good players go all the time:

1) as you say, salary cap reasons apply, Dunta Robinson is due to make $8 million this year, but they apparently don't have much dead money in him.

2) one man's trash is another man's treasure. The backup on a team that is deep and strong at a position (TE? Chandler) may be an upgrade on another team

Edited by Hopeful

I'll be shocked if any NFL team picks up Turner, he's done.

Turner had 800 yards last year on 222 carries...obviously not great but far from done

Turner will end up somewhere and my guess is Tennessee

Edited by Max997

Turner had 800 yards last year on 222 carries...obviously not great but far from done

Turner will end up somewhere and my guess is Tennessee

Actually.....his 3.6 Y/A was pretty horrible and a massive 0.9 Y/A less than his 2011 season.

Personally I think he is likely finished.

I wonder how effective Turner was in short -yardage and to-go situations last year.

Hard to say without looking up the actual game situations but....

3rd (or 4th) down and 1-2 yards to go: 7 attempts......12 yards......longest run 12 yards.

Doesn't look good.