Chris Kelsay Announces retirement

mrags

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would have been his fourth regime change. Now, only Lindell has survived as many...

5th regime change, 6th head coach, 5th Defensive Coordinator.

Even worse, look at Jarius Byrd. He's just coming out of his rookie contract and Pettine will be his 4th DC if he sticks around.

I dont blame these guys for wanting to leave.

5th regime change, 6th head coach, 5th Defensive Coordinator.

Even worse, look at Jarius Byrd. He's just coming out of his rookie contract and Pettine will be his 4th DC if he sticks around.

I dont blame these guys for wanting to leave.

You're right, I thought we drafted him in 2004. My mistake.

Poor guy.

This post will probably wind up being mocked, and perhaps deleted, but the level of douchebaggery among so-called "fans" in this thread is absolutely astounding.

-- Kelsay never "hamstrung" the Bills with any contract or held them hostage, and never prevented them from signing a single player

-- He never complained, despite being asked to play out of position

-- He was productive (although not at the All-Pro level some apparently expected); his statistics over the course of his career are remarkably consistent (i.e., he was dependable), until injuries began to take their toll the last two years

-- He was a great representative for the Bills and typified a "blue collar" mentality the area and fans are supposedly known for

The fact that idiots on a message board hurl the sort of insults they have at Kelsay is quite pathetic. I guarantee you any playoff team over the past decade would have loved to have Kelsay in their DL rotation.

Peace out.

Furthering to your excellent points....

Kelsay only had a 1.6m signing bonus making it very easy in cap terms to cut him at any point throughout his contract. He certainly didn't hamstring the team as some have suggested......and I'm sure that if we had a better replacement, he & his high contract would have been out the door.

http://profootballta...take-a-pay-cut/

Hmmm no surprises there. Unless you half the people in this thread

This link quotes Kelsay saying that he wasn't offered a pay cut by the Bills.

This means that the Bills didn't offer him a pay cut.

It certainly doesn't eliminate the possibility that the Bills told him that they were gonna cut him outright.

In fact it probably increases that possibility.

I could be wrong but I don't remember people in this thread saying anything one way or another, about a pay cut.

I do however remember several posts suggesting that Kelsay's release was imminent.

I could be wrong but I don't remember people in this thread saying anything one way or another, about a pay cut.

I do however remember several posts suggesting that Kelsay's release was imminent.

In other words, idle message board speculation by people who have an irrational hate for the man and trying to find justification for their feelings. We dont know what transpired. The guy goes away and people still cant stop wanting to disparage him (not aiming this at you SJBF).

In other words, idle message board speculation by people who have an irrational hate for the man and trying to find justification for their feelings. We dont know what transpired. The guy goes away and people still cant stop wanting to disparage him (not aiming this at you SJBF).

Thanks FiC but I am guilty of being a Kelsay hater.

I never really participated in the Donte, Fitz or Poz hatred but I always found it easy to get very annoyed with Kelsay.

More than anything else, for a guy who was "the consumate pro" he was always losing outside containment and being fooled by misdirection.

This literally brought me to the brink of blind rage on numerous occasions.

If you're:

a) A consumate professional, and

b) A seasoned veteran, this sort of repeated failure is completely inexcusable.

Hopefully this is the last time I have to vent about Kelsay.

Here is the two scenarios.

A) A 10 year veteran who has had injury/neck issues these past seasons wants to retire on his own terms when yet another coaching and scheme change is coming. (Kelsay has gone on record saying he left on his own terms and wanted to give the bills ample time to replace him. )

B) The new coaches told him he was going to be cut so he retired instead to save face.

While all logic and evidence points to scenario A. Most of you are are set on scenario B being true. Even saying Kelsay not being offered a paycut increases scenario B being true. Guess what, this guy got paid a lot of money. Played a lot of games. Not only did he survive each coaching change, he usually came out a starter and a leader. While a lot of you have this idea that the team wanted him gone as much as you did, no evidence has EVER pointed towards that.

I am not his biggest fan, but I am going to argue with all of the irrational haters in this guys retirement thread until it is no longer active because it is ridiculousness. I have no idea why the Kelsay hate has gotten under my skin all of a sudden but it has. Maybe because even when this guy came out and retired, most of you can't believe that and instead choose to believe in a fantasy scenario that didn't occur to back up your irrational hate

Edited by Numark

Here is the two scenarios.

A) A 10 year veteran who has had injury/neck issues these past seasons wants to retire on his own terms when yet another coaching and scheme change is coming. (Kelsay has gone on record saying he left on his own terms and wanted to give the bills ample time to replace him. )

B) The new coaches told him he was going to be cut so he retired instead to save face.

While all logic and evidence points to scenario A. Most of you are are set on scenario B being true. Even saying Kelsay not being offered a paycut increases scenario B being true. While a lot of you have this idea that the team wanted him gone as much as you did, no evidence has EVER pointed towards that.

I am not his biggest fan, but I am going to argue with all of the irrational haters in this guys retirement thread until it is no longer active because it is ridiculousness. I have no idea why the Kelsay hate has gotten under my skin all of a sudden but it has. Maybe because even when this guy came out and retired, most of you can't believe that and instead choose to believe in a fantasy scenario that didn't occur to back up your irrational hate

Kelsay told AP today that he was cleared to resume practicing after being examined by Bills doctors last month.

http://sports.yahoo....25399--nfl.html

jw

Kelsay released this info after I spoke to him. He's working out and approaching it as if he's going to be back, while aware that the decision is not entirely his.

jw

The above JW posts are what I based my opinion on. That and common sense.

What "logic and evidence" are you basing your opinion on?

Accepting at face value Kelsay's official statement released through the team?

Also, if you have a problem with anything I write, feel free to address me directly.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Also, if you have a problem with anything I write, feel free to address me directly.

I don't have a problem with just you directly. I have a problem with every single kelsay hater hinting that he was going to be cut (Including you SJBF, no offense). What evidence do you, SJBF, have that says kelsay was going to be cut, was told he was going to be cut, or the coaches hinted at? And what common sense is this based on? That he said he knew the decision to keep him was not entirely his?

Here is what I am basing my opinion on. He was a 10 year veteran with injury issues with new coaches and a new scheme. Here are some quotes on why he made his decision to retire:

Q: Why did you make this decision?

A: It is something that has been kind of on our minds for a couple months really. My wife and I discussed different options really since the neck injury. Other factors weighed into the overall decision. I just felt like as much as I kind of went back-and-forth on it, I believe if you are thinking about retirement that much you are already retired. I am happy with the decision that we made. I look forward to the next chapter of my life.

Q: How much did it play into the factor of a new regime? A new defensive coordinator, probably a new defensive scheme and a new head coach—how much did that all play into the decision?

A: Like I said, it definitely played a role in it but it was not a deciding factor. It is always tough to have to come in and reestablish yourself. Earn the respect, the trust and confidence of your coaching staff. Obviously that is something I have had to do in prior years. It’s something that I am proud to say that I was able to do. It weighs into it. A whole new system. A whole new scheme. Kind of a hybrid defense; 4-3, 3-4 mix. There is no question that I feel like I could play in it, but at the same time I am just very happy with where I am at and looking forward to retirement.

Q: How much did your health and the neck injury weigh into the decision? Did the team at any time during this process ever ask you to consider taking a pay cut?

A: Well first of all the neck obviously played into my decision even though it was a ligament issue and not a structural issue. It is still your neck. Obviously with three young kids and hopefully many more years ahead of me, I did not want to leave the game broke down. That definitely played into it. It was not the only factor. As far as an offer to restructure my contract, that was never even brought up. I flew in this afternoon and sat down with Buddy and we discussed the feelings that I was having. We came to the resolution that I was going to retire a Buffalo Bill. I feel very honored and blessed to have that opportunity. I always said from Day One when Mr. Wilson drafted me in 2003 that I wanted to end my career a Buffalo Bill. That came to fruition today and I feel very blessed to have that opportunity.

Again I don't have anything personal against you and you have been one of my favorite posters on this forum. But this issue is getting under my skin. :)

Edited by Numark

Not to gang up on you here SJBF but all this link says is that Kelsay was recovered from his injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-bills-cut-2-veterans-200525399--nfl.html

"told The Associated Press on Monday that he has fully recovered from the injury after being examined by the Bills' doctors last month."