Matt Cassell on Cardinals' Radar

SKRAAPY

I think Chiefs fans are in for a big wakeup call when they realize Smith isn't much better than Cassell.

You're hung up on statistics here.

Alex Smith was brilliant in 2011 in the late regular season game against the Giants and against the Saints in the playoffs. He also had a few brilliant plays in the playoff loss to the Giants.

Then in 2012, Smith showed that the improvement he showed late in 2011 was no fluke, playing at a high level before losing his job to injury.

As I've said before having watched him here in the Bay Area, Alex Smith is a better player than most people give him credit for.

Matt Cassel on the other hand couldn't dream of making some of the throws I've seen Smith make and I agree with those who believe that the interest in Matt Cassel is as a veteran backup.

You're hung up on statistics here.

Alex Smith was brilliant in 2011 in the late regular season game against the Giants and against the Saints in the playoffs. He also had a few brilliant plays in the playoff loss to the Giants.

Then in 2012, Smith showed that the improvement he showed late in 2011 was no fluke, playing at a high level before losing his job to injury.

As I've said before having watched him here in the Bay Area, Alex Smith is a better player than most people give him credit for.

Matt Cassel on the other hand couldn't dream of making some of the throws I've seen Smith make and I agree with those who believe that the interest in Matt Cassel is as a veteran backup.

I guess agree to disagree here with all due respect. I think Smith was maybe in the best situation for any QB in the NFL. He played for a run first team (the 49ers ran the ball on 3rd and longs more than any team I've ever seen) behind an oline with at least 3 1st round picks. He has a top 10 draft pick at receiver and tight end. They signed a former 2nd round pick and starter on a SB champ in Manningham. Their 3rd wr is one of the greatest wrs ever, though he is past his prime.

Additionally, he plays with a top 5 defense and one of the best STs units in the NFL. KC does have some talent but I really don't see that much of a higher ceiling with Smith than Cassell. Harbaugh's system and the 49ers talent would make a lot of QBs look very good. People murder Fitz here and let's break down the Bills talent. 7th round picks and UDFAs at receiver. Twice cut TE would never caught a pass in the NFL before Buffalo. And to top things off, one of the worst defenses in the entire NFL. Fitz has thrown 20+ tds in 3 straight seasons. Smith has never topped 18.

Smith isn't terrible, he's just meh IMO and owes Harbaugh for saving his career. I guess we'll see but I'm just glad another QB hungry team is out of the way and the Bills didn't go the typical stopgap route again with Smith.

Smith isn't terrible, he's just meh IMO and owes Harbaugh for saving his career. I guess we'll see but I'm just glad another QB hungry team is out of the way and the Bills didn't go the typical stopgap route again with Smith.

He definitely owes Harbaugh for saving his career. Previous to Harbaugh, Smith had a succession of terrible coaches, and never had the same OC for more than one year. He was miscoached and had poor talent surrounding him.

The guy has a great work ethic, is very intelligent, and has good physical talent, the same reasons he was drafted first overall.

If the trade with KC is consumated, I think Smith will be excellent under Andy Reid.

I believe that when his career is over, Smith will be viewed as a late bloomer who overcame a lot of adversity to become a good quarterback.

He definitely owes Harbaugh for saving his career. Previous to Harbaugh, Smith had a succession of terrible coaches, and never had the same OC for more than one year. He was miscoached and had poor talent surrounding him.

The guy has a great work ethic, is very intelligent, and has good physical talent, the same reasons he was drafted first overall.

If the trade with KC is consumated, I think Smith will be excellent under Andy Reid.

I believe that when his career is over, Smith will be viewed as a late bloomer who overcame a lot of adversity to become a good quarterback.

While we agree that he's a lot better than given credit for, if this is a trade for a HIGH second and another midround pick.... We're talking about the chiefs giving up solidly first round value here.

That's pricy even with giving him the benefit of the doubt.

While we agree that he's a lot better than given credit for, if this is a trade for a HIGH second and another midround pick.... We're talking about the chiefs giving up solidly first round value here.

That's pricy even with giving him the benefit of the doubt.

No question that if the reports are true, they're paying a pretty penny for Alex Smith.

Given Reid's track record at getting the best out of QBs, his pursuit of Smith speaks well of Smith.

I guess agree to disagree here with all due respect. I think Smith was maybe in the best situation for any QB in the NFL. He played for a run first team (the 49ers ran the ball on 3rd and longs more than any team I've ever seen) behind an oline with at least 3 1st round picks. He has a top 10 draft pick at receiver and tight end. They signed a former 2nd round pick and starter on a SB champ in Manningham. Their 3rd wr is one of the greatest wrs ever, though he is past his prime.

Additionally, he plays with a top 5 defense and one of the best STs units in the NFL. KC does have some talent but I really don't see that much of a higher ceiling with Smith than Cassell. Harbaugh's system and the 49ers talent would make a lot of QBs look very good. People murder Fitz here and let's break down the Bills talent. 7th round picks and UDFAs at receiver. Twice cut TE would never caught a pass in the NFL before Buffalo. And to top things off, one of the worst defenses in the entire NFL. Fitz has thrown 20+ tds in 3 straight seasons. Smith has never topped 18.

And yet we all scream about Nix and Gailey not taking kaepernick and talking about how great he is..........

This could very well end up like another Buffalo Bills Peyton Manning miss, in which they never gave manning a thought to acquire in free agency.

Jeez, a QB that took a team to the NFC championship game vs one that has never won more then 6 games in a season. Smith is still a young player, unlike Manning. Kudos to Reid for a #2.

If Arizona really wants Matt Cassell it speaks volumes on how that team will fair the next few years under a new HC. Gailey managed to marry Fitz to the Bills, and hopefully the Bills new HC seeks a divorce very soon.

And yet we all scream about Nix and Gailey not taking kaepernick and talking about how great he is..........

What is your point? That Kaepernick isn't very good after all and that Buddy was smart to draft Aaron Williams instead? Are you serious? Did you watch Kaepernick play at all this year?