We still have way too many holes

jahnyc

I hope the Bills will be more competitive next year, but we have significant needs at LB, WR, TE and CB (I am ignoring QB for this post, which is probably the biggest need of all).

LB: Cutting Barnett leaves us with Sheppard and Bradham. Not sure whether either is starting caliber. I don't think there is a reserve linebacker on the roster who can step up to a starting role. The Bills need at least one new starter, assuming that the team stays with Sheppard and Bradham and Bills do not switch to a 3-4 , in which case we will need two new starters. The current group of LBs could be the worst in the NFL.

WR: After SJ, there are no starting caliber WRs on the roster. I have my doubts as to whether Graham will develop. Need at least a second starting wide receiver opposite Stevie and likely a third wide receiver (in the slot, with Nelson not coming back). Another poor unit that ranks among the NFL's worst.

TE: I like Chandler, but he may not be ready to start the season. Need a starting caliber TE.

CB: Need a starter opposite Gilmore, particularly if McKelvin signs with another team. Need to see if Brooks can develop. I have no hope that Williams will become a solid CB, and I expect him to be shifted to safety. Rogers played poorly last year and we need an upgrade at the nickel and dime CB.

How does this all get fixed this offseason? We can't count on rookies filling all of these spots, maybe our first and second round picks will be able to step in, but who knows? What I find disturbing is that there are not obvious choices currently on the roster to fill these spots. Throw in the uncertainty at the QB position and the possibility that Levitre will not be re-signed, and you have a team that still seems far away in year four of the most recent rebuild.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the draft and Fa coming up soon.. If the bills make a few more cuts they should have around 30+mil under the cap...it is possible to fill these holes it wont be easy but it can be done....we can pick up a few veterans at LB in fa..( Calvin pace and bartt Scott) and in the draft maybe go with WR C patterson from Tennesee at #8 QB Tyler wilson from arkansa at #41..LB khaseem greene from Rutgers...4th rd Chase thomas LB stanford...5th rd WR Cobi hamilton Arkansa......a draft like this could fill in the holes...ehhh I dont know but thats my best guess

Edited by Hotpockets28

it isn't that we have too many holes, it is just that we have holes at key positions. If we upgraded MLB, QB, and WR (all important positions), this team would be a world better. That is assuming we keep byrd. If we lose byrd, then that would create a huge hole. But I am just assuming we keep him even if it is a franchise tag.

Corner I am not too worried about. I think brooks showed a lot of promise. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a solid starter for us this year. Hard to tell though how we look on bother sides of the ball with the new coaching staff. If Fitz stays our QB, I would expect similar production out of the offense.... defense, I am just hoping that all the resources we dumped on that side finally pay off.

Three years with Buddy Nix drafting and the team is STILL lacking a top QB, top WR, top LBer or two, a top LT....depth at several positions. It took 100 million to finally get a pass rusher because this scouting dept couldn't find one in the draft. Yet Buddy Nix still has a job...

If they draft another CB or safety with that #8 overall this year my head will explode. 30+ DB's in the last 20 years and what has it gotten them? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I just don't see this team being competitive any time soon with Nix calling the shots. I sure hope Marrone has that Chuck Knox mentality to be able to judge players at all positions regardless of the bonehead GM..

I hope the Bills will be more competitive next year, but we have significant needs at LB, WR, TE and CB (I am ignoring QB for this post, which is probably the biggest need of all).

LB: Cutting Barnett leaves us with Sheppard and Bradham. Not sure whether either is starting caliber. I don't think there is a reserve linebacker on the roster who can step up to a starting role. The Bills need at least one new starter, assuming that the team stays with Sheppard and Bradham and Bills do not switch to a 3-4 , in which case we will need two new starters. The current group of LBs could be the worst in the NFL.

WR: After SJ, there are no starting caliber WRs on the roster. I have my doubts as to whether Graham will develop. Need at least a second starting wide receiver opposite Stevie and likely a third wide receiver (in the slot, with Nelson not coming back). Another poor unit that ranks among the NFL's worst.

TE: I like Chandler, but he may not be ready to start the season. Need a starting caliber TE.

CB: Need a starter opposite Gilmore, particularly if McKelvin signs with another team. Need to see if Brooks can develop. I have no hope that Williams will become a solid CB, and I expect him to be shifted to safety. Rogers played poorly last year and we need an upgrade at the nickel and dime CB.

How does this all get fixed this offseason? We can't count on rookies filling all of these spots, maybe our first and second round picks will be able to step in, but who knows? What I find disturbing is that there are not obvious choices currently on the roster to fill these spots. Throw in the uncertainty at the QB position and the possibility that Levitre will not be re-signed, and you have a team that still seems far away in year four of the most recent rebuild.

I agree with all the above. If we let either Byrd or Levitre go, we are creating another gaping hole, and once again letting what is little of our talent walk. It is imperative we sign both Byrd and Levitre- then we can start plugging in other holes. I am guessing we spend a high draft pick on WR, a mid round pick, and add a FA WR. A trade down would be ideal, with the depth of this draft, and the amount of new influx we need. I predict we go for QB round 2, and draft 2 LBers in first 4 rounds, plus add 2 free agency. And decent chance we sign McKelvin. Especially after Nix's comments

Three years with Buddy Nix drafting and the team is STILL lacking a top QB, top WR, top LBer or two, a top LT....depth at several positions. It took 100 million to finally get a pass rusher because this scouting dept couldn't find one in the draft. Yet Buddy Nix still has a job...

If they draft another CB or safety with that #8 overall this year my head will explode. 30+ DB's in the last 20 years and what has it gotten them? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I just don't see this team being competitive any time soon with Nix calling the shots. I sure hope Marrone has that Chuck Knox mentality to be able to judge players at all positions regardless of the bonehead GM..

So Cordy Glenn is a bust now? Stevie Johnson?

PTR

With the draft and Fa coming up soon.. If the bills make a few more cuts they should have around 30+mil under the cap...it is possible to fill these holes it wont be easy but it can be done....we can pick up a few veterans at LB in fa..( Calvin pace and bartt Scott) and in the draft maybe go with WR C patterson from Tennesee at #8 QB Tyler wilson from arkansa at #41..LB khaseem greene from Rutgers...4th rd Chase thomas LB stanford...5th rd WR Cobi hamilton Arkansa......a draft like this could fill in the holes...ehhh I dont know but thats my best guess

So, a team with needs that include multiple LBs, multiple WRs, multiple DBs not to mention a possible o-line starter and needed depth, d-line depth, a true NT and a DE capable of playing outside in a 3-4 alignment can be filled in one offseason with starting NFL caliber personnel?

Now let's talk starting QB.

So, a team with needs that include multiple LBs, multiple WRs, multiple DBs not to mention a possible o-line starter and needed depth, d-line depth, a true NT and a DE capable of playing outside in a 3-4 alignment can be filled in one offseason with starting NFL caliber personnel?

with my guess I came out with in total 4 Lb,2 Wrs, and a Qb...thats a lot of holes filled..almost all really

Buddy's track record in UFA and in the draft tells me this won't be a problem at all. ;)

2013 is looking like another rebuilding campaign. That's a lot of starters to get in one off-season.

with my guess I came out with in total 4 Lb,2 Wrs, and a Qb...thats a lot of holes filled..almost all really

If Kelvin Sheppard, TJ Graham and the "Troupacabra" prove anything it is that just throwing second or third round picks at positions of need has been a kick*ass approach to the draft by Buddy! Hit the ground patchin' Buddy!

Whoa. We are really writing off tj. Seems to me he could have had several long Tds if noodle arm hit him

Who is writing him off? Shep is a starter. Graham is #2 on the depth chart. Troupacabra is still the top NT on the roster. If you are dissatisfied, take it elsewhere, this forum is for Bills FANS only. :flirt:

Graham actually doesn't look half bad.... not worthy of being a number 2 receiver, but definently not bad to have on the roster. They def need 3 receivers though, whether through the draft or free agency. If patterson falls to us, it is looking more and more like that is who the bills are going to be picking at 8.

Graham actually doesn't look half bad.... not worthy of being a number 2 receiver, but definently not bad to have on the roster. They def need 3 receivers though, whether through the draft or free agency. If patterson falls to us, it is looking more and more like that is who the bills are going to be picking at 8.

I think you are looking thru rookie-colored glasses. He cost the Bills a game in NE with a mental mistake and he put on a clinic on how to drop the football in the Seattle game. I was actually very surprised that he played as well as he did. He was kind of a dud in college. He wasn't exactly getting a lot of balls thrown his way at NC State and yet he had TEN fumbles in his junior/senior seasons. TEN fumbles is a lot for a RB getting 600 carries in the trenches over two seasons. This guy was a just catching a few balls in the open field. His rep was bad hands and unpolished route runner and there was A LOT of that last year. I am not giving up on him, but the burden of proof on a guy with that kind of history is on Buddy.

"We still have too many holes."

Now that's a thread title that would be more appropriate at least a couple of days after Free Agency has started.

Of course we "still" have too many holes.....we have had no opportunity to fill any yet.

Edited by Dibs

We go through this every year. We start with a bunch of holes immediately after the season, and we end up with more as we approach free agency and the draft. Sure, it is possible that the Bills will fill many of these holes before the start of the season, but the number of holes this year is really significant, and draft picks and few free agents will not be enough to fix this.

The reality is that the Bills have not been hitting on enough draft picks over the last three years.