Metzalaars Trashes Fitz

Coach Tuesday

Good point about Green. But why stop there? Montana was throwing to Rice, Manning to HArrison, Kelly to Reed.......

And you could also have pointed out that Buddy could have had Dalton AND Green instead of Dareus and Williams. 2 years later, our Offense would have been much better and our Defense certainly no worse than it is now.

Nix's three years of work is on display. What has he accomplished? Brandon takes over for the owner and what does he do? He retains Buddy Nix. Explain that to me? This franchise is lost in a very deep hole. And Buddy is holding he shovel. It's absolutely crazy. :thumbdown:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it isn't. He said the Bills need to "solve" the QB situation, and called out Fitz for making bad decisions, playing inconsistently, and turning the ball over in key moments toward the end of games. He also said that maybe Fitz had to press to score on every possession because the D sucked, and that his WRs didn't help him. But he clearly, and I mean CLEARLY doesn't think Fitz is the answer at QB.

I guess maybe it turns out semantics - I don't view Fitz as "competent." I think calling him "competent" is a compliment relative to his actual skills (kind of like calling the Taliban a Stone Age society - they're not even that.)

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Having seen some of the absolute abortions that pass for starting QB's in the NFL (one of them plays in our division, two of them play in Arizona), I still think Fitz--with a better D (not even better receivers)--would have been good enough for 9 wins last year.

How's this for a compromise. Let's create a gray zone between Competent and Incompetent called "Not-Competent", and we'll classify him thusly!

I agree with you and think Jackson is the opening day starter too, and I think they draft a QB. This puts the Bills in a bind because Fitz gets his $3 million signing bonus and his salary. But what else can they do? It's a tough spot to be in. They either cut Fitz (doesn't help cap too much) to not pay him the real money and risk Jackson being awful, or keep him and still have to pay him if he gets beat out. I just don't understand what fans would have them do?

+1

There aren't a lot of great alternatives. I think we have to keep him. We can't put all our eggs in the TJax basket.

I agree with Metzalaars 110% not one single qualm with anything he said. I mean it's one thing if a guy doesn't have the physical attributes to win, but to not have the mental toughness either? c'mon this guy is not cut from the NFL starter cloth. He wouldn't start on any other team in the league. Last year Fitzpatrick could not complete passes down field any longer than 15yds, he layed down and threw a pick at EVERY opportunity that he could've won games. Overall what we've seen is all there is to offer. He's been in the league for 8 years and has never been a steady winner.

I agree with you and think Jackson is the opening day starter too, and I think they draft a QB. This puts the Bills in a bind because Fitz gets his $3 million signing bonus and his salary. But what else can they do? It's a tough spot to be in. They either cut Fitz (doesn't help cap too much) to not pay him the real money and risk Jackson being awful, or keep him and still have to pay him if he gets beat out. I just don't understand what fans would have them do?

The Bills will not pay Fitz the $3 million bonus due in early March. They will make him restructure his contract, or cut him outright. I think Jackson or a rookie will be the opening day starter. I also think it quite possible that Fitz is not on the opening day roster. Once the coaching staff watches Fitz in person. And sees how poor his accuracy is even in the short zones, they will have no choice but to release him. And there is always the option of cutting Fitz, and bringing in another free agent QB next month to compete with Jackson.

The Bills will not pay Fitz the $3 million bonus due in early March. They will make him restructure his contract, or cut him outright. I think Jackson or a rookie will be the opening day starter. I also think it quite possible that Fitz is not on the opening day roster. Once the coaching staff watches Fitz in person. And sees how poor his accuracy is even in the short zones, they will have no choice but to release him. And there is always the option of cutting Fitz, and bringing in another free agent QB next month to compete with Jackson.

When do you propose that they will see him "throw in person" before March? That's my point, they only are privy to the film they have on him under the previous regime. They have no idea if they can help him improve. So they signed Jackson to compete. I'm not saying they won't cut Fitz or shouldn't, but it's not the easiest decision as most fans who want Fitz cut now presume. Then you're left with Jackson. How the heck do you or they know if they'll get a rookie? What if the guy(s) they want get picked before their pick(s)? As Hondo in Seattle mentions above, it appears they aren't just willing to put all their eggs in Jacksons basket.... yet.

Sounds like an intelligent guy with an overall good grasp of things. That a coach who was just there and had an insiders view is saying these things is very damning to Fitz. Can't brush him off like whats been happening to myself and others on this board who've been saying same thing for a while.

...who hasn't been able to get a job in the NFL since being released at the end of December. When you only hear one side of the story, and then present it as if it's gospel, you look foolish.

And by the way, who exactly has been defending Fitz around here as anything other than "average to below average" as a starting QB?

"Let it go to hell for Manzell"

I'll go on record now...I'd take 0-16 to 2-14 if Manziel, Bridgewater, or McCarron was on the other end...

I know some folks don't like one or two of those three...But I like all of them...And I would be AOK with any one of the three... B-)

1.) Just Stating the obvious with Fitzaster

2.) I don't know how the process works for hiring and firing NFL coaches. It looks like one big good ole' boys club. Seems like Morrone should have could have called him back. Thats probably a rookie mistake.

3.) Why is anyone on this board worried about season ticket sales. Just win baby. The sales will be there with more Ws. I guarantee.

I forgot

4.) (cat fighting noise)

Fitzaster!!!! Hilarious!

Classy people don't trash the QB of the team they just worked for. Amazing that some think so much of Metzelaars. He was an average NFL tight end for a short while. The way some talk about him you would think he was a HOF guy. What a whiner. I am sure every other team will be in a salary war to obtain his services.

The guy sounds like kind of an a-hole. I won't miss him.

Funny, the day Metz was signed. This board at the time treated it like the Bills had just signed the illegitimate spawn of Bill Walsh. Now, other than maybe a poor choice of words. He's an A-Hole? Wow!

Myself, I have zero problems with his statements. Maybe he said the same at his exit interview? I hope so. It's the truth.

I'm sure if the interview questions had been forwarded to Metz 24 hours in advance. His answers may have sounded more PC. After all he's not a Harvard grad.

Funny, the day Metz was signed. This board at the time treated it like the Bills had just signed the illegitimate spawn of Bill Walsh. Now, other than maybe a poor choice of words. He's an A-Hole? Wow!

Myself, I have zero problems with his statements. Maybe he said the same at his exit interview? I hope so. It's the truth.

I'm sure if the interview questions had been forwarded to Metz 24 hours in advance. His answers may have sounded more PC. After all he's not a Harvard grad.

I agree with your take...But the bolded statement is an over-exaggeration of epic proportions... ;)

I agree with your take...But the bolded statement is an over-exaggeration of epic proportions... ;)

Yea, that was on purpose. When they signed Metz, many here remembered the good old days, and truly believed he could do the same as a position coach. The problem was he needed some talent, and past Chandler (who is no star) he had zero to work with.

...who hasn't been able to get a job in the NFL since being released at the end of December. When you only hear one side of the story, and then present it as if it's gospel, you look foolish.

And by the way, who exactly has been defending Fitz around here as anything other than "average to below average" as a starting QB?

I'm not trying to be snarky or pile on but Fitz is not a starting caliber of qb, and never was. Debating whether he is an average or below average qb starting qb is of itself inflating his abilities. He is a suitable backup. Nothing more and possibly less. This organization should be ashamed of itself for not only making him a starter but giving him a contract that far exceeds his value and talent.

Buddy Nix has put this franchise in a multi-year bind by not only miscalculating on a player who was easy to categorize but by not having a young prospect in the pipeline to take over the reigns. In three years the qbs he assembled for this bedraggled team were Fitz-Vince Young-Thigpen-Levi Brown and T. Jackson. How did he expect to compete let alone win in this ultra competitive league?

What was Brandon thinking when he didn't summarily fire Nix when he took over the football operation? How do you create an environment of accountability when you don't hold people accountable. It's outrageous and it is infuriating.

Edited by JohnC

I'm not trying to be snarky or pile on but Fitz is not a starting caliber of qb, and never was. Debating whether he is an average or below average qb starting qb is of itself inflating his abilities. He is a suitable backup. Nothing more and possibly less. This organization should be ashamed of itself for not only making him a starter but giving him a contract that far exceeds his value and talent.

Buddy Nix has put this franchise in a multi-year bind by not only miscalculating on a player who was easy to categorize but by not having a young prospect in the pipeline to take over the reigns. In three years the qbs he assembled for this bedraggled team were Fitz-Vince Young-Thigpen-Levi Brown and T. Jackson. How did he expect to compete let alone win in this ultra competitive league?

What was Brandon thinking when he didn't summarily fire Nix when he took over the football operation? How do you create an environment of accountability when you don't hold people accountable. It's outrageous and it is infuriating.

You forgot Brian Brohm. Who is out of the league. Well actually half of them are. Thanks, Nix!

Well, Brandon seemed pretty emphatic that he felt the Bills had much more talent on the roster than three years ago.

Q: How many starters on the roster were drafted by Buddy over the past three years? Not a lot.

FYI: I quoted you in my sig line. Hope you don't mind. If so, I will remove.

Well, Brandon seemed pretty emphatic that he felt the Bills had much more talent on the roster than three years ago.

Q: How many starters on the roster were drafted by Buddy over the past three years? Not a lot.

It doesn't mattter how many players he drafted are on the roster during his tenure. In a three year stint he has the ability to dramatically reshape the roster through his own draft selections, free agency and trades. No one expected him to completely turn over a roster in one year or two years. But when you have been calling the shots for three full years you can't reasonably say that you are not responsible for the gloomy state of affairs. The record under his authority is 12-36. That might seem bad but the record doesn't fully tell the story how really bad this franchise is. Against winning teams the Bills have won in the range of 10% of their games. Last year against two good teams, 49ers and Seahawks, the Bills lost with scores of 45-3 and 50-17.

How do you dig yourself out of a deep hole when the person most responsible for your plight is the same person primarily making the player personnel decisons that are supposed to get you out of the hole that he himself dug? Do you want Nix judging the qb prospects in this draft when he is the same talent assessor who passed on sterling qb prospects in his prior drafts? How good was Nix's judgement on Fitz? For me and most people who watch the games with their eyes open it wasn't a tough judgment call to make. It makes no sense.

FYI: I quoted you in my sig line. Hope you don't mind. If so, I will remove.

I certainly don't mind. Just a warning. For some dead enders you will be forever tarnished by any association with what I say. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC