Dillusions of an Armchair GM, v. 1-1

Armchair GM

First off, let me say that I am no "expert." I love this game and I love this team and I like to entertain myself with what I think is good for them. A lot of you are gonna torch me, some may agree...but hey, If I was an "expert," I'd be employed by the NFL, not the government.

I've been around the game, both as a player and coach, for a long time and it's #6 on my most loved things in this world...right after wife, kids, family and friends.

First, lets continue the purge and, free up some cap space and dump:

1.) Chris Kelsay. He's past his prime...which wasn't all pro to begin with, and his contract doesn't fit his performance...it never has.

2.) Terrance McGee. Ditto on Kelsay, accept he played at a much higher level...in his prime. But he's been bitten by the injury bug and I don't think he's got anything left to offer.

3.) Spencer Johnson. I always liked Spencer, it's simply time to move on (youth movement).

*Key UFA's: Corey McEntyre; Leodis Mckelvin: Shawn Merriman: Chad Rhinehart

Next, restructure and sign our UFA's and tender Nelson.

1.) Levitre and Byrd are tied for #1. We absolutely need to resign both of these guys.

2.) Restructure Fitz's contract. Although they made the right move, imho, to extend him, his play didn't come close to the $ he got.

3.) Tender David Nelson. I think it's around $1.3M, which I believe is a bit of a bargain judging by his potential.

Draft, not going into details...just who I like.

Rd 1: Cordarelle Patterson; WR -Tenn. @ 6'3" and 205lbs. gives us the big man outside that can run (40 time @ 4.46)

Rd 2: Manti Te'O; MLB - ND...I know, I know...but, prior to his pseudo "scandal" this kid was a top 5 talent. If he does fall, he may not make it past the Ravens @ 32.

Rd 3: Landry Jones; QB - OK. Strong arm, big kid with a thick frame and very coachable. Not the prototypical "cowboy" attitude you want in a QB, but I wouldn't mistake his humbleness as a weakness. He's strong in his faith and plays like an Irishman (with God's grace upon his shoulders, for those that didn't follow).

Rd 4: Dion Sims; TE - MI State. HUGE guy @ 6'5", 285...very light on his feet, agile, and tough to bring down. Limited playing time (injury and a bit of trouble) let's him slide under the radar.

Rd 5: Kwame Geathers; DT - Georgia. Another monster with deep NFL bloodlines. @ 6'5" and 355 lbs. he gives us a legit NT for a highbred D.

Rd 6: Steve Williams; CB - Cal. Doesn't go along with the trend of bigger CB's, but this kid is tenacious...and fast.

Rd 7: Dustin Hopkins; K - Fl. St. Yes, a kicker! Lindell is out Moorman style and I've had enough with carrying 4 guys that are used strictly for kicking. Kids got a huge leg. The thing that stood out to me is the fact that he, in his first college game and against a rival (Miami) he nails his very first attempt of his NCAA career...52 yards. I know it's only one kick, but damn...I'd say that's a big kick in a big game.

Free Agents to entertain/track

QB - Jason Campbell...if for nothing else, he's a viable emergency clip board holder

WR - Brian Hartline...if Miami drops the ball and doesn't resign him...also, he won't demand a huge pay day

TE - Dustin Keller...Great athlete, and a weapon in the passing game.

DT - Jason Jones...Very good situational interior pass rusher...good for the rotation. Coming off a 1 year "prove I'm worth it" contract that was hindered by an injury. May be a good bargain.

OLB - Paul Krueger...remains to be seen if he's a system type guy, or if he's legit. He did, however, look like he got shot out of a cannon on the sack in the SB.

SS - Laron Landry...Big hitter, much more than an "in the box" type safety. He and Byrd would tear sh*t up.

Edited by Armchair GM

First off, let me say that I am no "expert." I love this game and I love this team and I like to entertain myself with what I think is good for them. A lot of you are gonna torch me, some may agree...but hey, If I was an "expert," I'd be employed by the NFL, not the government.

I've been around the game, both as a player and coach, for a long time and it's #6 on my most loved things in this world...right after wife, kids, family and friends.

1.) Chris Kelsay. He's past his prime...which wasn't all pro to begin with, and his contract doesn't fit his performance...it never has.

2.) Terrance McGee. Ditto on Kelsay, accept he played at a much higher level...in his prime. But he's been bitten by the injury bug and I don't think he's got anything left to offer.

3.) Spencer Johnson. I always liked Johnson, it's simply time to move on (youth movement).

1.) Levitre and Byrd are tied for #1. We absolutely need to resign both of these guys.

2.) Restructure Fitz's contract. Although they made the right move, imho, to extend him, his play didn't come close to the $ he got.

3.) Tender David Nelson. I think it's around $1.3M, which I believe is a bit of a bargain judging by his potential.

Rd 1: Cordarelle Patterson; WR -Tenn. @ 6'3" and 205lbs. gives us the big man outside that can run (40 time @ 4.46)

Rd 2: Manti Te'O; MLB - ND...I know, I know...but, prior to his pseudo "scandal" this kid was a top 5 talent. If he does fall, he may not make it past the Ravens @ 32.

Rd 3: Landry Jones; QB - OK. Strong arm, big kid with a thick frame and very coachable. Not the prototypical "cowboy" attitude you want in a QB, but I wouldn't mistake his humbleness as a weakness. He's strong in his faith and plays like an Irishman (with God's grace upon his shoulders, for those that didn't follow).

Rd 4: Dion Sims; TE - MI State. HUGE guy @ 6'5", 285...very light on his feet, agile, and tough to bring down. Limited playing time (injury and a bit of trouble) let's him slide under the radar.

Rd 5: Kwame Geathers; DT - Georgia. Another monster with deep NFL bloodlines. @ 6'5" and 355 lbs. he gives us a legit NT for a highbred D.

Rd 6: Steve Williams; CB - Cal. Doesn't go along with the trend of bigger CB's, but this kid is tenacious...and fast.

Rd 7: Dustin Hopkins; K - Fl. St. Yes, a kicker! Lindell is out Moorman style and I've had enough with carrying 4 guys that are used strictly for kicking. Kids got a huge leg. The thing that stood out to me is the fact that he, in his first college game and against a rival (Miami) he nails his very first attempt of his NCAA career...52 yards. I know it's only one kick, but damn...I'd say that's a big kick in a big game.

QB - Jason Campbell...if for nothing else, he's a viable emergency clip board holder

WR - Brian Hartline...if Miami drops the ball and doesn't resign him...also, he won't demand a huge pay day

DT - Jason Jones...Very good situational interior pass rusher...good for the rotation. Coming off a 1 year "prove I'm worth it" contract that was hindered by an injury. May be a good bargain.

OLB - Paul Krueger...remains to be seen if he's a system type guy, or if he's legit. He did, however, look like he got shot out of a cannon on the sack in the SB.

SS - Laron Landry...Big hitter, much more than an "in the box" type safety. He and Byrd would tear sh*t up.

I mostly have no problem with this, less your draft picks from rd 2 on. I like the idea of a QB in the later rounds as opposed to early since like it or not, Fitz is starting next year. The only FA I'd add is Talib, but for some reason I'm getting the feeling that Nix/Whaley aren't going to be shopping a whole lot in FA this year especially since we really need to sign the Byrdman and Levitre. Patterson is a play maker and is a threat to score every single time he touches the ball. He's multi-dimmensional (Like the Brad Smith we all thought we were getting) and a huge upgrade to Smith. He absolutely should be the Bills first draft pick hands down!!

Tim-

I'd be perfectly satisfied with all of the moves you suggest. I don't expect all of them to happen but it is fun to speculate.

I have to admit I chuckled at the following two quotes from your original post:

"If I was an "expert," I'd be employed by the NFL, not the government"

and

"I always liked Johnson"

Isn't our 7th-rounder going to Seattle?

McGee just got released so you are one step closer!

Good post, I dont disagree with any of it. Not thrilled about some of your draft picks, but there could be worse. Wouldnt hate if thats how the offseason played out.

I think there are some of our own FAs you left off the list though. McKelvin and Kyle Moore being the most important. Id even add Merriman to that list.

I'd be perfectly satisfied with all of the moves you suggest. I don't expect all of them to happen but it is fun to speculate.

I have to admit I chuckled at the following two quotes from your original post:

"If I was an "expert," I'd be employed by the NFL, not the government"

and

"I always liked Johnson"

Yeah, I should edit the Johnson lie...doh

I'm not in favor of any plan, intricate, well thought out, logical, or not, that involves Fitz back with this team...Not in any capacity...Not with a reduced salary...Not at all...

I don't care about the Cap situation...I don't care about the lack of QB's on the Depth Chart...I don't care about any of it...I simply want to see him gone...Buh bye... B-)

The team is too weak in the defensive front 7 to take a WR up high. They also need a RT. Other than that....a decent plan.

I think the weakness was a D Coordinator that the game had passed by several years ago, but point taken...hence 2 possible draft picks and 2 free agents tha were suggested

Specifics on the draft are so early - but, I believe that Buffalo is going to be in good shape come August. I think we'll all be thinking this is the year we finally make a playoff run.

There will be a few more purges, I think, and hopefully Fitz will restructure, giving us somewhere in the 25 million range for F.A.

As I see it we'll be in the market for 2 ILB's, an OLB, a CB, a safety, a big, fast WR, a TE, a QB, and depending on Levitre, an interior O-lineman. That's 9 starters we'll be looking for.

We will probably get a corner/safety in FA, along with an ILB, and a TE. Maybe Alex Smith. So, going into the draft we're probably looking to add an ILB, OLB, QB and WR in the first 4 rounds. Since OLB and QB's are harder to come by, I could see us going OLB with our 1st pick, WR with our 2nd, a QB like Bray or Landry Jones in the 3rd, and then pushing to pick up a LB prospect with some speed and coverage ability to line up inside.

I don't think we'll have the roster wrapped up completely in August, but I think we'll be close enough that it'll be the beginning of a 4 or 5 year run where we're in the thick of it in our division, and in the playoffs.

There's a million different possible combinations of players that we could go in over the next 3 months, this is just to say I think we'll have a chance to fill most of our holes this offseason - contrary to how many people view Buffalo, as having far more holes than they'll be able to fill.

3.) Spencer Johnson. I always liked Johnson, it's simply time to move on (youth movement).

If I was your armchair I'd sack you.

My GM would need to know who is on the roster and who isn't before making their strategies.

Johnson is a free agent

I'm not in favor of any plan, intricate, well thought out, logical, or not, that involves Fitz back with this team...Not in any capacity...Not with a reduced salary...Not at all...

I don't care about the Cap situation...I don't care about the lack of QB's on the Depth Chart...I don't care about any of it...I simply want to see him gone...Buh bye... B-)

I missed the restructure Fitz part. Yeah, leave that out of the plan too.

Mostly like it. I would ideally like to resign McKelvin, and I would do the first 3-4 draft rounds differently, but overall a solid and mostly reallistic.

I like the thought of getting a kicker though. Easy upgrade that could help a ton.

Spot on. Liked everything except the draft and letting leodis go. I realize, in all likelihood, he's gone, but I really want him back. He's electric on returns and provides good CB depth. I know many of you think he sucks at CB. I don't think he's all that bad. Give him some real coaching and put him in a better defensive scheme where we get better pressure, and I think he turns out to be pretty good. Maybe even our #2