Does Kelvin Sheppard Have Anything to Offer?

Rob's House

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference being Sheppard was actually on the field in his 1st 2 years. I mean....really???

Yes.

There are many players that seem to take two or three seasons to "get it" and come on strong in their 3rd or later seasons.

I'm not saying that Sheppard will be one of these guys.....but it happens quite a lot.

Linebackers don't have break out years. Another year is not going to give Shep speed, the ability to get off blocks and make plays. His coverage ability is not going to suddenly click.

They have to keep him and see what they can do with him, but I think he will pretty much be the same guy.

Linebackers don't have break out years. Another year is not going to give Shep speed, the ability to get off blocks and make plays. His coverage ability is not going to suddenly click.

They have to keep him and see what they can do with him, but I think he will pretty much be the same guy.

I`ve been saying this year one. You got IT or you don`t. Not strong or mean enough either.

I remember we had Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer and Angelo Crowell as our backup LBs for several years. I kept wondering who, if anyone from that group would step up and emerge as a viable starting LB. Around year 3 Crowell seemed to arrive and Haggan was a ST stud, while Stamer remained JAG.

I think players often take awhile to be ready to really compete in the NFL, but most who show nothing in the first year never make it.

Seriously, if you watched him at all, your realized he looked slow, unable to tackle, and not physical in the least.

How many times did you see him in the backfield?

It's hard work for a middle linebacker to disappear for a game. He found a way.

Well, he played less than half the time/snaps... so that certainly contributed to his "disappearing". People say "where were our LB?" without realizing that they were not even on the field most of the time. We so often had Scott out there and Rodgers, with only Barnett as a true LB. It may be that Sheppard isn't a great or even good player, but I'd still like to see him in another scheme with another coach before that conclusion is reached. Sure, he missed his gap sometimes, like everyone else on that horrid D. Other times mauled by O-lineman. But more often than not, standing on the sidelines. I liked his potential in college, so I still think there is something to work with.

Edited by Brainiac21

I remember we had Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer and Angelo Crowell as our backup LBs for several years. I kept wondering who, if anyone from that group would step up and emerge as a viable starting LB. Around year 3 Crowell seemed to arrive and Haggan was a ST stud, while Stamer remained JAG.

I think players often take awhile to be ready to really compete in the NFL, but most who show nothing in the first year never make it.

I think you have to factor in playing time.....an audition..

Most players show what they are as soon as they play. Now, their "audition" may not occur in earnest until their 3rd year, but they show once they play. That was the case with Crowell. With Sheppard, he got his audition in year 1. I don't think he's going to suddenly become something he's not in year 3.

It's like the kid who played Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars III. Bad actor, right? I'm pretty sure he's bad in every thing else he's in. I don't need to see it. Same with Shep.

That's my unsolicited view anyways

I think you have to factor in playing time.....an audition..

Most players show what they are as soon as they play. Now, their "audition" may not occur in earnest until their 3rd year, but they show once they play. That was the case with Crowell. With Sheppard, he got his audition in year 1. I don't think he's going to suddenly become something he's not in year 3.

It's like the kid who played Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars III. Bad actor, right? I'm pretty sure he's bad in every thing else he's in. I don't need to see it. Same with Shep.

That's my unsolicited view anyways

I suspect you're right, with both Sheppard and that Anakin kid.

But for Crowell, he played ST and some LB before he matured. He just looked clunky: strong, but a bit slow and heavy-footed. Then, finally, he started flying around and really drew positive attention. As much as anything, I think he just needed to really get comfortable enough to play all-out without thinking or hedging as he went.

I think a lot of young players are intimidated and a bit overwhelmed by the NFL and if they could just get to "comfortable and confident they'd play worlds better, without any change in their strength, speed or other measureables. This is one of the biggest challenges for coaches: getting each player to that point, with whatever pressure or support it takes.

I suspect you're right, with both Sheppard and that Anakin kid.

But for Crowell, he played ST and some LB before he matured. He just looked clunky: strong, but a bit slow and heavy-footed. Then, finally, he started flying around and really drew positive attention. As much as anything, I think he just needed to really get comfortable enough to play all-out without thinking or hedging as he went.

I think a lot of young players are intimidated and a bit overwhelmed by the NFL and if they could just get to "comfortable and confident they'd play worlds better, without any change in their strength, speed or other measureables. This is one of the biggest challenges for coaches: getting each player to that point, with whatever pressure or support it takes.

All good points..

Sheppard is outstanding at identifying the lead blocker and engaging him. They then together move carefully away from the play.

Post of the thread. Shep has been given much more than a fair shot to make plays in the middle for the Bills. Quickly, name your favorite three plays he has made as a Bill ... ...

... crickets ... ... AAAAAAANHT time's up.

In a season and a half, are there even three key plays he has made?

I do realize he was taken out a lot ... as if that's a good thing to have to do with your MLB ... but in the recent past, we have always had a guy who can at least make a play once a game or so.

Shane Conlan, Ray Bentley, Carlton Bailey, Sam Cowart, Chris Spielman, Mark Maddox ... heck, even David White made some plays now and again. Of more recent vintage are the ageless London Fletcher (still making instinctive plays for the 'skins) and Poz, who is not held in very high regard here, but who has made far more tackles in the NFL than his detractors would care to acknowledge. And it was apparent pretty early on that each of these guys could at least play a little.

Nix, Gailey and company loved Sheppard's Senior Bowl practices. So we pick him, and he has his first NFL camp shortened by the lockout, hurts his hammy, and then even starts a few games late in the year as a rookie. He then gets handed the job over Kirk Morrison and whomever else, and has done essentially nothing all year to convince anyone he can even play. Why does anyone hold out hope for this guy?

He catches blocks, slow dances, and rarely if ever sheds to make the play. His tackle totals are an embarrasment from that spot. If he starts next year for Pettine, let alone makes the team, I will be totally flabbergasted.

I'm sure the last 2 years were the exception and Sheppard will be awesome this year.

Seriously, can't you pretty much tell if a guy is going to be a player right away. Shep hasn't shown much.

Not necessarily. If a particular defensive scheme asks a player to do things that are not his strongsuit, then he virtually has no chance of success. Conversely if a DC recognizes a player's strengths and puts them in a position to succeed then that player performs at a much higher level.