Markus Wheaton - WR - Oregon

aussiebills

Obviously WR is a need in the draft not out biggest need but it is still a substantial need.

Markus Wheaton was an All-Pac 12 First Team Wide out

Below are his receiving stats through his four years at Oregon State.

Receiving G Rec Yards Yds/Rec Long TD Yds/G 2009 12 8 89 11.1 25 0 7.4 2010 12 55 675 12.3 48 4 56.3 2011 12 73 986 13.5 69 1 82.2 2012 13 91 1244 13.7 51 11 95.7

Wheaton was also used on Jet Sweeps, Fly sweeps and End arounds.

Drafttek has Wheaton ranked 101 on there big board, and had San Francisco taking him with their 3rd Round selection (was put down as a -7 reach).

Wheaton is quick enough to spread the field vertically, and big enough to make catches down the field. Taller then Donald Jones but lighter then Stevie Johnson. He creates good separation from defenders with his route runner and speed. Senior bowl reports have also noted that he has strong hands coming through traffic.

The negatives are that the Oregon State Offense was pretty much built for him and around him so most likely he had some inflated stats and of course we don't have a QB who can get him the ball deep.

He was considered one of the standout WR's at the senior bowl and his stock has risen quite dramatically. If his stock continues to rise or if his stock stays where it is then he could defiantly be an option at our 3rd round pick. He could compliment Stevie Johnson, Nelson, Jones and Graham all in different ways.

His Senior Bowl stats were 4 for 47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-RkS8riVX0

Also let me know if there is any other players you would like me to do something similar on.

This guy is extremely fast. I believe he fnished ahead of D'Anthony Thomas last year in the PAC-12 100-meter championships; there is a video of it on youtube somewhere. And he can catch the football, unlike some other field-stretching wide receivers. I expect him to do very well at the combine.

TJ Graham ran 10.50 w/o training for track and field. Now, I am not saying that Graham has shown the receiving skills that Wheaton has, but fast track times don't mean a great deal in the NFL. Track times are inflated/deflated by starting technique which has little to nothing to do with playing WR in the NFL. Also, track tells you nothing about a player's ability to catch and catch in traffic.

I am not too down on TJ Graham. He was a lightly experienced very fast WR who had a decent rookie season, despite what many say here. Sure, he needs to reduce the drops (and the jury is out regarding whether he can), but he has speed and with a QB who can take advantage of his deep speed, he might develop.

To be clear, I am not saying that the Bills should not bring in a quality WR or two. I think that their WR/TE group is in the bottom 20% of the league and needs a significant influx of talent.

The thing with Graham is that he isn't biggest enough to make a contested catch while Wheaton is.

In the 3rd is a great spot to grab a WR. Unless that cordarro kid falls to us at 8.

I dont think Graham/wheaton are direct comparisons as far as abilities. I suspect Graham will improve quickly enough. As old timer said his mistakes stood out but he did improve his game by seasons end

Also Wheaton could be a great addition to the receivers corp.

I'd rather get Stedman Bailey from WVU. Also, Graham had one of the best seasons among 3rd rookie WRs in recent yrs. Does he need to work on his hands and route running, sure, but I think his PT came through necessity this yr with Nelson getting hurt right from the jump. Not to mention the fact that he has a good wr coach, and onfield coach in Stevie Johnson teaching him the finer points of route running. As long as we have a QB that can actually push the boundaries and utilize his talents, TJ will be fine.

I can see why you like Bailey great hands great numbers as well. Doesnt get injured and is a good route runner.

Now im fine with Graham i do like him.

BUT

I dont want to be taking just Johnson, Jones, Nelson and Graham into a gruelling season.

One each of them has missed time with injuries except Graham and we need more depth than that.

This is why we spend a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder on Bailey or Wheaton and then our WR core steps up a notch

He did not have a good Civil War game against the Ducks. Reminded of a track star playing WR with

too many dropped passes. I think we have that type of receiver in TJ already.

However he was humble enough to admit he had a bad game.

The kid could be a gem but Codarrelle Paterson is in the same mold as Boldin & they say he has a huge upside.

It's going to be a tough pick i just hope who ever we pick up is a good player & we don't let them go to put them on the practice squad like we did Carder & Asper...

The more i read on Patterson the more i like i openly stated on this forum on another topic that there was at least 2 WR's better then him (Allen and Williams) but i take that back Patterson is easily the best WR in the draft and a will be a premium #1 receiver in the league for many years to come