Dave Wannstedt Hired as Buccaneers Special Teams Coordinator

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a feeling early in the season when I was at the game that something was up with Wanny and Chan ! They would kind of dirty look each other during pre-game and all the other coaches would hand slap Chan ! Chan knew he was in trouble way back in the beginning of the season ! I liked Chan but he was an OC only, kind of like Wade Phillips and Chan found out how important it is to have assistants all on the same page !You'll see the difference this coming season .

Do you know the difference between a good coach and a bad coach? The players he has to work with. Wanny was your standard pedestrian coach in the league. Working with the worst LBing corps and suspect defensive backfield didn't elevate his coaching abilities. Even the pre-season highly touted DL turned out to be as firm as an over-cooked noodle.

I'm sure that the new DC is going to be better than the last DC. But the results won't be much different unless more talent is added to the very lackluster group that played last year.

He was not a good coach, John. I think mediocre coaches can coach very talented teams. A good coach makes the best of what he has.

i agree with you that the degree of talent on D is hyper-inflated by the majority of posters and needs major upgrades. But Wanny was a bad hire and some here noted that he was part of the Edwards debacle.

He was not a good coach, John. I think mediocre coaches can coach very talented teams. A good coach makes the best of what he has.

i agree with you that the degree of talent on D is hyper-inflated by the majority of posters and needs major upgrades. But Wanny was a bad hire and some here noted that he was part of the Edwards debacle.

I'm not directing my comments to you because you have a realistic sense of what has been going on with this dilipidated franchise. When you have an owner (now out of the picture)) who consistently hired football staffers who were utter incompetents you get this never ending cycle of mediocrity. Nix is clearly out of his depth. He never should have been hired to be the GM. He is a meat and potatotoes man working in a world of complexity. Without much of a HCing search he hired Gailey who then brings in a crony. Both Gailey and Wanny were retread coaches who had lackluster histories before they ended up in western NY. The results were very predictable.

Many fans believe that the Bills are on the verge to something special if they fix one position or two, most notably the qb position. I don't see it that way. What was telling to me and a stark measuring stick were the games against the 49ers and Seahawks. The 49ers beat us 45-3 and the Seahawks beat us 50-17. Both teams had qbs on the rosters that Nix passed on for players who are very questionable.

My basic point is that until the old guard in the front office is phased out (Nix) there isn't going to be dramatic change on how this organization functions. That is not good news. Brandon had an opportunitywhen he took over the operation to start fresh with a new GM (Whaley). He didn't do that. I don't understand why not?

I'm not directing my comments to you because you have a realistic sense of what has been going on with this dilipidated franchise. When you have an owner (now out of the picture)) who consistently hired football staffers who were utter incompetents you get this never ending cycle of mediocrity. Nix is clearly out of his depth. He never should have been hired to be the GM. He is a meat and potatotoes man working in a world of complexity. Without much of a HCing search he hired Gailey who then brings in a crony. Both Gailey and Wanny were retread coaches who had lackluster histories before they ended up in western NY. The results were very predictable.

Many fans believe that the Bills are on the verge to something special if they fix one position or two, most notably the qb position. I don't see it that way. What was telling to me and a stark measuring stick were the games against the 49ers and Seahawks. The 49ers beat us 45-3 and the Seahawks beat us 50-17. Both teams had qbs on the rosters that Nix passed on for players who are very questionable.

My basic point is that until the old guard in the front office is phased out (Nix) there isn't going to be dramatic change on how this organization functions. That is not good news. Brandon had an opportunitywhen he took over the operation to start fresh with a new GM (Whaley). He didn't do that. I don't understand why not?

Brandon himself is part of the old guard. Most likely he will be on board until new ownership.

Brandon has been part of the amazing run of ineptitude since the day he was hired. Granted his title has changed a few times, but he's part of the problem, not the solution.

Brandon failed miserably as a "GM". Just the fact he lead the charge on the coaching search/hire is scary.He kept his crony over his head GM. I hope this new regime works, but the fact that Nix is involved in the 2013 draft and free agency is not comforting as a fan.

And, is cause enough to be very suspect of the new vision Brandon put forth on 1/1/13.

Edited by Best Player Available

Anyone doubting the NFL is the ultimate old boys network need only look at this hire.

this

I had a feeling early in the season when I was at the game that something was up with Wanny and Chan ! They would kind of dirty look each other during pre-game and all the other coaches would hand slap Chan ! Chan knew he was in trouble way back in the beginning of the season ! I liked Chan but he was an OC only, kind of like Wade Phillips and Chan found out how important it is to have assistants all on the same page !You'll see the difference this coming season .

and this

Brandon himself is part of the old guard. Most likely he will be on board until new ownership.

Brandon has been part of the amazing run of ineptitude since the day he was hired. Granted his title has changed a few times, but he's part of the problem, not the solution..

100% true!

Btw, who do you think will have the final say on draft day?

Brandon has been part of the amazing run of ineptitude since the day he was hired. Granted his title has changed a few times, but he's part of the problem, not the solution.

Brandon failed miserably as a "GM". Just the fact he lead the charge on the coaching search/hire is scary.He kept his crony over his head GM. I hope this new regime works, but the fact that Nix is involved in the 2013 draft and free agency is not comforting as a fan.

And, is cause enough to be very suspect of the new vision Brandon put forth on 1/1/13.

Having Nix involved in the draft after presiding over what I consider to be three years of very average drafts makes me also very queasy. Was Brandon told not to fire Nix by the owner? I can't say. Brandon has stated on a few occasions that he has a close relationship with Buddy so it is understandable why he would have been reluctant to fire him, although from a business standpoint it would have been the right thing to do.

How much authority does Nix have in this draft? That's another interesting question. I don't know? Based on his prior drafting performances I hope there are staffers who can overrule his judgment. I get the sense that Nix is going to be allowed to leave after this draft and the reigns of authority will go to Whaley. I also get the sense, but don't know for sure, that Nix didn't have the final authority in the hiring of the HC.

Buddy Nix is a good man who has demonstrated to me that he is in over his head. I just felt that when Brandon assumed authority for the franchise he could have made a declarative statement that meaningful change was going to be made. That was the time to make his point with action.

On a positive note I did like the way the HCing search went. It was well done. Is Marrone a good hire? No one can say for sure, but I thought he was a reasonable hire. Ultimately his success is predicated on the upgrading of the roster. The organization still has a long way to go. If Nix comes out of this draft with a high quality qb prospect I will be a little more positive about his performance.

Do you know the difference between a good coach and a bad coach? The players he has to work with. Wanny was your standard pedestrian coach in the league.

I'll give you that talent is important.

That said Wanny was the worst DC in the league last year IMO. Gaughan's recent Buffalo News article was confirmation of all the criticisms of Wanny that we had here on this board. Complete lack of complexity to his scheme. Opposing teams could easily solve the Bills defense without any effort.

Contrast that to the top DCs who besides having good players, beat opposing OCs in the mental chess game part of the sport.

That's why the players quit on Wanny, because they knew he was hanging them out to dry every week, placing them squarely in the seat of failure.

I think a DC would have made a huge difference last year. In four decades of watching the NFL, I've seen dozens of cases of new coaches coming in and making significant differences in the performance of their players. In watching pro sports it's always pretty obvious which teams overachieve and which teams underachieve. That difference is easily 3-4 losses turning into wins.

What do you think would happen if Jim Harbaugh and Jim Schwartz switched jobs?

That's why Gaughan concluded his piece saying that if Wanny had done a decent job, Gailey would still be the Bills Head Coach.

A good head coach makes 50+ players better. A good OC or DC directly makes 20+ players better and indirectly makes the whole roster better.

JMO but the "players make the coach" argument is one I vehemently oppose.

JMO but the "players make the coach" argument is one I vehemently oppose.

I'm absolutely not saying that Wanny is a good coach. He isn't. But in my view the Bills defense last year was very much overmatched. Our LBing corps was one of the worst in the league. Our defensive line right to left played poorly all season long. Mario was hurt, Dareus was a slug, Kyle Williams was inconsistent and the players playing other end position contributed very little.

On this issue you and I have very different views that can't be reconciled.

The organization still has a long way to go. If Nix comes out of this draft with a high quality qb prospect I will be a little more positive about his performance.

Nix's late round picks are what I find lacking. But finding a high quality qb in this draft will not be easy.