Ravens have cap issues & can't sign Boldin or Paul

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowe is the only one I want on that list.

I thought I saw a rumor today that Jennings was retiring. Or was that another Packer WR?

Edit: my bad, that's Driver that's retiring.

That's Donald Driver. Jennings would be a great pickup, but he's probably going to want too much money.

That's Donald Driver. Jennings would be a great pickup, but he's probably going to want too much money.

agree. I take it back. I'd want Jennings too. Got the two of them confused there. I'd take Jennings or Bowe. But that's it and I wouldn't pay a ton for either of them.

For how long and at what cost?

When answering, picture all the crushing hits he's taken.

If he would come at three years, 25 with, say, 17 million guaranteed, I think it's worth it. In that last year I think you'd have a decision to make, but one that would be pretty easily answered by his performance.

Also, IMO, SJ and Boldin are a better tandem than he and Torrey Smith (though I like Smith). Johnson will draw defenders away from Boldin and help him not have to take such a beating.

Pour out some money to Fred Davis and a top tier WR. I know its wishful thinking but I think we can go defense in this draft and then trade for a QB and sign some targets. David Nelson will come back and be solid in the slot, Stevie is a stud, but we need someone else. Also I like Chandler at TE but I think we could use some depth there and a receiving threat. Davis coming off an injury should be relatively cheap.

With all the attention going to Kruger (who I like alot) and Boldin I would really like the Bills to make a run at Dannell Elerbe. He'll come at a cheaper price tag than Kruger (I believe he made less than 2 mil last year) and would be a good fit in Pettines attack style D.

Ray Lewis comes off the books after he retires.

I wonder how much room that gives them.

I can't say for sure, but from looking at his contract it likely won't be that big a boon for them.

His contract average is $6.36M and is surprisingly evenly spread. His 2013 cap number will be $6.05M if he plays.

He had a $6.25M signing bonus....if he retires before next NFL year that will likely hit them with a $2.7M dead money cap hit....

That means....from my extremely rough and likely wrong calculations that they will save something in the area of $3.4M of cap space.

Kruger wants $8M a year according to LaCanfora. The real steal off the Ravens is a guy most haven't even heard of - Dannell Ellerbe. I got to see him play ILB when Lewis went down and the guy is an absolute tackling machine - all over the field sideline-to-sideline and above average coverage skills too. He reminds me a lot of London Fletcher. As crazy as it sounds, I read the Ravens consider him the heir apparent to Lewis and a higher priority to sign over both Boldin and Kruger.

The real steal off the Ravens is a guy most haven't even heard of - Dannell Ellerbe.

Ellerbe's very interesting, average size but runs very well. Former UDFA from Georgia. His speed and experience in the Ravens D will make him versatile for us, He is an ILB for them but they blitz and move guys around a lot so he's blitzed, played coverage, inside, outside, in the middle. He could be a 3 down LB for us. Tough guy too, playing with a broken arm, made a key INT off Brady with a cast on.

Lots of places he'd be a fit. Huuuuge gap to it'd be easy to get him

If he's on the market, dollars will be what it takes

Pettine and Rex developed the defense that the ravens use and the Jets and Bills are the only teams that run the same defense he is in now. There are other 34 teams but many times players don't transition to other teams well even if they are similar. The jets are a sinking ship so we would be the most logical choice, however money can have the greatest influence, hopefully he come here.

Kruger wants $8M a year according to LaCanfora. The real steal off the Ravens is a guy most haven't even heard of - Dannell Ellerbe. I got to see him play ILB when Lewis went down and the guy is an absolute tackling machine - all over the field sideline-to-sideline and above average coverage skills too. He reminds me a lot of London Fletcher. As crazy as it sounds, I read the Ravens consider him the heir apparent to Lewis and a higher priority to sign over both Boldin and Kruger.

That may be true but pass rushers are more important

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I really don't see the Ravens letting Flacco walk, given how long it took them to even find a competent QB, and the obvious struggles other teams, the Bills among them have in even finding an average QB. I wouldn't waste a lot of time even pondering that acquisition, he'll retire a Raven.

Boldin is a fantastic player, but at what cost to younger talent developing?

Kruger would be the one player I'd put all my attention and effort in luring away from the Ravens, it's a more realistic and likely FA signing.

I really don't see the Ravens letting Flacco walk, given how long it took them to even find a competent QB, and the obvious struggles other teams, the Bills among them have in even finding an average QB. I wouldn't waste a lot of time even pondering that acquisition, he'll retire a Raven.

Boldin is a fantastic player, but at what cost to younger talent developing?

Kruger would be the one player I'd put all my attention and effort in luring away from the Ravens, it's a more realistic and likely FA signing.

Kruger looks like he'd be the one we need the most as well, our LB core sucks right now.

Boldin is not the type of WR the Bills need. He is a possession WR with a similar skillset to Stevie, though Boldin is definitely more physical. We need a Torrey Smith-type WR to stretch the field and compliment Stevie, not another Stevie.

Boldin is also in decline mode, despite coming alive for 2 of his 3 playoff games this year.

Boldin is not the type of WR the Bills need. He is a possession WR with a similar skillset to Stevie, though Boldin is definitely more physical. We need a Torrey Smith-type WR to stretch the field and compliment Stevie, not another Stevie.

Boldin is also in decline mode, despite coming alive for 2 of his 3 playoff games this year.

I disagree, I think we really are missing that physical component. And I will be pissed if we try to acquire another speed WR when we already have one without really knowing what he can do.

No to Boldin while I think he's effective receiver he's 33 years old and would be nothing more than a stop gap. Kruger will probably price himself out.

I would take a stop gap reciever over Donald (the useless slug) Jones any day. I would cut Jones immediately. I think he is the worst starting reciever the Bills have ever had in their history. They may have had worse back ups, but never a worse starter. I could cover him even with my spained ankle.

Boldin may be getting old but he's still light years better than Donald Jones.