This is why the world hates lawyers

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/new_york/lawyer-advocates-for-higher-inmate-pay

Governor Andrew Cuomo's budget plan calls for a hike in the minimum wage, but no increase in the pay that prisoners make.

Fighting to get prisoners a pay raise may be an uphill battle, but one attorney is trying to make the case. It's been 20 years since NYS has raised the pay for prisoners, and most make 10-cents an hour and must work six hours a day, five days a week.

If it keeps inmates motivated and busy, a few cents an hour is probably worth it....

Disagree, refrain from the raping , stealing, cocaine sales, etc and you wouldn't be in prison..

Eff their wages our outta control taxes get blown on enough dumb buuuuuushhhhheeeet as is.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It costs us $50 a day to house a person in county jail. The national average is closer to $100 a day. We offer a deal of 3 days counted for every 1 served if you are on the work detail and have good behavior. So a 3 week sentence could be shortened to week if you sign up.

You should be happy a lawyer took on this effort. You don't want to know what a pro se petition would look like in this case. An attorney is just saving the taxpayers money by clearing the docket faster.

Best to recognize...

You should be happy a lawyer took on this effort. You don't want to know what a pro se petition would look like in this case. An attorney is just saving the taxpayers money by clearing the docket faster.

Best to recognize...

One would think... I agree in general... BUT, man some lawyers are even sloppier than some guys that defend themselves!

Why are we paying them at all?

How motivated are you when you work for nothing? I am certainly not. As it is on the outside, you get a sense of self worth by working and earning even if you are in a federal "pound me in the ass" prison

Disagree, refrain from the raping , stealing, cocaine sales, etc and you wouldn't be in prison..

Eff their wages our outta control taxes get blown on enough dumb buuuuuushhhhheeeet as is.

there is a portion of the population that is always going to be defective, rape, steal, snort PCP, murder... I am sure there is good basis for paying prisoners a paltry amount to earn extras....

I can't disagree with that.

It is very critical balance. Of course there is a need for lawyers. Lawyers are not born, they are made. I am not saying that everybody should be pro se, again balance. Lawyers are surely needed for their experience navigating the system. Unfortunately, clout (as a attorney) also comes into play. The system is perfectly rigged to perpetuate itself. Navigating the complexities of the system is hard to do for a guy defending himself and only getting one crack @ it. A simpler, less complicated system would be nice. They should make every citizen before graduating (or whatever) sit and observe 500 hours of court. No sleeping, talking or doing anything else but observing.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yup. We should be letting the petty drug offenses go and executing most of the rest.

I can't get behind the executions. As a small government proponent, one of the just roles I see a government having certainly cannot be the execution of it's citizens; especially given the fact that people can, have been, and currently are wrongly imprisoned. A government empowered to kill it's own citizens will always kill it's own citizens; and that's not something I'm willing to hand over to them.

It is very critical balance. Of course there is a need for lawyers. Lawyers are not born, they are made. I am not saying that everybody should be pro se, again balance. Lawyers are surely needed for their experience navigating the system. Unfortunately, clout (as a attorney) also comes into play. The system is perfectly rigged to perpetuate itself. Navigating the complexities of the system is hard to do for a guy defending himself and only getting one crack @ it. A simpler, less complicated system would be nice. They should make every citizen before graduating (or whatever) sit and observe 500 hours of court. No sleeping, talking or doing anything else but observing.

Who creates the system that requires lawyers to navigate it?

It's a big complicated world we live in guys, as nice as it is to imagine a world where there very simple rules and nobody would need a lawyer, fact is...it could never exist. Not to say there isn't a discouraging amount of legal work in existence today, but no matter what you do it would just turn into this again eventually...and yes obviously a number of things could be made easier (tax law the most obvious example) just talking about the system as a whole...

Edited by SameOldBills

I can't get behind the executions. As a small government proponent, one of the just roles I see a government having certainly cannot be the execution of it's citizens; especially given the fact that people can, have been, and currently are wrongly imprisoned. A government empowered to kill it's own citizens will always kill it's own citizens; and that's not something I'm willing to hand over to them.

Who creates the system that requires lawyers to navigate it?

You used the wrong word in "requires." The system doesn't require lawyers to navigate. Of course using lawyers may make it easier to navigate the system. I know you are trying to get me to say it is the people who create the system. That is true to a point. Attorneys keep the system oiled in their favor.