Gun Control Threads are SO Three Weeks Ago....

B-Large

Assault Weapons Ban Lacks Democrat Votes to Pass Senate

"Six of the 55 senators who caucus with Democrats have expressed opposition to a ban."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-25/assault-weapons-ban-lacks-democratic-votes-to-pass-senate.html

Hey Harry, how about an up or down vote on Monday..................the people want action.

I know that some aspects of legislation have support B. What did you think of Feinstein's quote?

You know what's funny? Harry Reid, for his own political survival has to vote against any ban.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video: Milwaukee County sheriff’s PSA on self-protection

The sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin has a new public-service announcement on radio on protecting yourself, and it’s causing quite a stir in the community.

In the PSA, Sheriff David Clarke says, “With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option. You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. But are you prepared?”

“You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?”

Sounds pretty straightforward and honest. The police and sheriff’s deputies can’t arrive instantaneously to rescue citizens from every or even many violent crimes, and so it’s incumbent on people to learn to defense themselves. The Fox affiliate leaves out a very important part of the PSA, though, which the Journal Sentinel at least mentions:

Clarke urges listeners to take a firearm safety course and handle a firearm “so you can defend yourself until we get there.”

Yes, instead of either cowering under the bed or buying a weapon and shooting wildly, Sheriff Clarke wants citizens to receive proper instruction in self-defense — which includes learning how to handle a weapon as well as the proper uses and legal limitations of self-defense. These courses instill discipline and self-control, as well as prepare people for the unlikely-but-still-possible situation where they may be the only defense they have against a violent criminal.

Of course, that produced the usual hysteria:

If he does not feel he is capable of doing this, and he’s not qualified to take on this role of public safety, he should resign and he should do it today,” said Jeri Bonavia of the non-profit Wisconsin Anti-violence Effort. Bonavia says Clarke is asking citizens to become vigilantes.

To issue a blanket statement that people should be out there, arming up, and taking care of safety matters that really law enforcement officials are trained to do, is just irresponsible,” said Bonavia.

Also, from Roll Call:

2014 RACES WHERE GUN CONTROL MATTERS:

In the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., the politics of gun control turned upside down — or so the proponents of increased firearms regulations would like to believe. The reality, however, is the issue appears likely to affect only a handful of congressional contests this cycle. . . .

The argument can be made that all of the senators in tough 2014 races — Mary L. Landrieu, Mark Pryor, Tim Johnson and Kay Hagan among them — are in states that are typically pro-gun-rights. But Democrats are operating under the logic that Senate candidates have an easier time setting themselves apart from national figures such as Obama and the gun issue won’t be catastrophic.

Hmm. From “winning issue for Democrats” to “won’t be catastrophic.” That’s change you can believe in.

This is why its so easy to make fun of ant-gun extremists;

Chicago anti-gun panelist compares crowd reciting Pledge of Allegiance to Nazis’ beer hall conduct.

And once again a liberal sees one comment and takes it to a full extreme of nonsensical idiocy. You can rest assured I was dealt every hand I needed to justify being a taker. For some people, it's simply not an option. For others, it's a way of life, handed down from one generation to the next. Even those who are of below average intelligence should see this administration wants more takers because the takers will forever keep taking, and the power in Washington will be forever be happy to keep handing out the goodies to maintain control of the money and power.

This, undoubtedly, is gibberish to you, because you are of the belief the people work for the government, not the other way around, but we look forward nonetheless to your next effort to display your lack of reading comprehension. Maybe jump in with "you want children to starve" or "you want old people to die" or "you hate black people" because they've been working really well lately to keep resistance to a minimum.

Holy conspiracy theory Batman!!

Thank the gods we have people like you that know what's really going on. Otherwise the nation would just crumble and collapse in Obama's imperial march to dictatorship!

I don't think you want children to starve. I don't think you want old people to die. And I even don't think you're racist. I do however think you are a raging lunatic that has nothing to argue but conspiracy theory.

I spent quite a while as a social worker. Sometimes when I when I went on home visits where there was a history of domestic violence I even carried a ...Gun. Oh my god /gasp!! I love it when people like you try to tell me how the system works when you have obviously no idea how the system works. Trust me. The last thing the government wants is more cases on the books.

Oh, but wait, you can't trust me, I worked for the government. I'm part of the conspiracy!!

Thank the gods we have people like you that know what's really going on. Otherwise the nation would just crumble and collapse in Obama's imperial march to dictatorship!

I don't think you want children to starve. I don't think you want old people to die. And I even don't think you're racist. I do however think you are a raging lunatic that has nothing to argue but conspiracy theory.

I spent quite a while as a social worker. Sometimes when I when I went on home visits where there was a history of domestic violence I even carried a ...Gun. Oh my god /gasp!! I love it when people like you try to tell me how the system works when you have obviously no idea how the system works. Trust me. The last thing the government wants is more cases on the books.

Oh, but wait, you can't trust me, I worked for the government. I'm part of the conspiracy!!

You know, constantly calling everything you disagree with a conspiracy theory doesn't actually MAKE it a conspiracy theory. For hundreds of years, men both better and smarter than either of us have been warning about the inherent problems that come with a country where a majority of the people depend on the government for a significant portion of its needs. And again, with a nod to your unbelievably bad reading comprehension...please look at what I said. I didn't say this is the desire of the entire government. I said it was the desire of this administration.

Try to keep up...because when you can't accuse someone of being a racist, or wanting to starve kids and kill old people, you start yelling about a conspiracy theory. And it's a lot like throwing the gun when you're out of bullets. I suspect next I'll be labeled one of those other stereotypical liberal labels like "birther." :lol:

You know, constantly calling everything you disagree with a conspiracy theory doesn't actually MAKE it a conspiracy theory. For hundreds of years, men both better and smarter than either of us have been warning about the inherent problems that come with a country where a majority of the people depend on the government for a significant portion of its needs. And again, with a nod to your unbelievably bad reading comprehension...please look at what I said. I didn't say this is the desire of the entire government. I said it was the desire of this administration.

Try to keep up...because when you can't accuse someone of being a racist, or wanting to starve kids and kill old people, you start yelling about a conspiracy theory. And it's a lot like throwing the gun when you're out of bullets. I suspect next I'll be labeled one of those other stereotypical liberal labels like "birther." :lol:

So, you believe 9/11 was really caused by a bunch of middle eastern terrorists instead of Bush & Cheney?

Yes, because there haven't been thousands of cases of favors being exchanged for votes. The only difference is that those receiving the favors in this "conspiracy theory" is the general public. Is that really a stretch?

You know, constantly calling everything you disagree with a conspiracy theory doesn't actually MAKE it a conspiracy theory. For hundreds of years, men both better and smarter than either of us have been warning about the inherent problems that come with a country where a majority of the people depend on the government for a significant portion of its needs.

You realize under 5% of the nation's population is receiving welfare benefits, correct?

So far you've claimed that the press is in bed with Obama covering up his poor leadership skills whiles his administration is trying to get more people dependent on the government in order to solidify power over the masses. I think I have everything in there. The evidence you've given for this is... Now on top of that you've pretty much claimed that the admin. is managing to do this without the aid or knowledge of the DEC. If you had any idea as to how this system is set up you would know it wasn't possible without the aid of countless Case workers, judges, means testers... Extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

And for some reason you're defending yourself against labels you're not being ascribed. I didn't call you a racist, old person killer, birther, or a person who want children to starve. What I have ascribed you is the label of a raving lunatic. To which you have offered no defense against.

Let me challenge you to do something. Take some time to go to a welfare community. (I'm assuming you are middle to upper class) Talk to some of the people there. No, not just the drunk laying in a puddle of his own puke. He isn't the only person that lives there. Spend some time with the kids, the teens. They're the next generation that may end up making welfare a way of like. Look at the conditions that shape their world, their thoughts, and their actions. Walk thru the school there. You think you know what it's like there? I assure you, you don't. Then think about how hard it is to beat the hard wiring the mind develops growing up in those conditions.

Take some time to see how well the "takers" have it.

So far you've claimed that the press is in bed with Obama covering up his poor leadership skills whiles his administration is trying to get more people dependent on the government in order to solidify power over the masses. I think I have everything in there. The evidence you've given for this is... Now on top of that you've pretty much claimed that the admin. is managing to do this without the aid or knowledge of the DEC. If you had any idea as to how this system is set up you would know it wasn't possible without the aid of countless Case workers, judges, means testers... Extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

And for some reason you're defending yourself against labels you're not being ascribed. I didn't call you a racist, old person killer, birther, or a person who want children to starve. What I have ascribed you is the label of a raving lunatic. To which you have offered no defense against.

Let me challenge you to do something. Take some time to go to a welfare community. (I'm assuming you are middle to upper class) Talk to some of the people there. No, not just the drunk laying in a puddle of his own puke. He isn't the only person that lives there. Spend some time with the kids, the teens. They're the next generation that may end up making welfare a way of like. Look at the conditions that shape their world, their thoughts, and their actions. Walk thru the school there. You think you know what it's like there? I assure you, you don't. Then think about how hard it is to beat the hard wiring the mind develops growing up in those conditions.

That's quite a slip.

Not all takers live in those environments. In fact, most do not. I live in an area where many receive some form of government assistance. Many do not deserve it. Just today I was at a bar/restaurant with a friend and her friend. Her friend ran up a $38 bar tab on an NYSEBT card. One of the two other men I work with applied for medicaid this week. He collects classic cars and owns two camaros, a corvette, a restored 64 chevy stepside, a fox body mustang, and a 2012 silverado. The vast majority of those I know on government assistance smoke, use drugs, or both, which are expensive hobbies. I see how many takers have it.

I have no problem helping those who cannot help themselves. I do, however, have a problem helping those UNWILLING to help themselves. I attend college part time and work 40-55 hours a week. Shortly after the election, I calculated that I could quit work, apply for assistance, and still keep my current standard of living. But hey, paying taxes is patriotic, right?

:worthy: Progress! Progress! Progress!

Not all takers live in those environments. In fact, most do not. I live in an area where many receive some form of government assistance. Many do not deserve it. Just today I was at a bar/restaurant with a friend and her friend. Her friend ran up a $38 bar tab on an NYSEBT card. One of the two other men I work with applied for medicaid this week. He collects classic cars and owns two camaros, a corvette, a restored 64 chevy stepside, a fox body mustang, and a 2012 silverado. The vast majority of those I know on government assistance smoke, use drugs, or both, which are expensive hobbies. I see how many takers have it.

I have no problem helping those who cannot help themselves. I do, however, have a problem helping those UNWILLING to help themselves. I attend college part time and work 40-55 hours a week. Shortly after the election, I calculated that I could quit work, apply for assistance, and still keep my current standard of living. But hey, paying taxes is patriotic, right?

:worthy: Progress! Progress! Progress!

1) If she was able to swipe a food stamp card at a bar and have it went thru the bar is not coded correctly. I find it hard to believe that was an accident.

2) Good for him, I could apply too. It doesn't mean I'm going to get it.

3) Besides the fact that this, like everything else in your post, is anecdotal and not supported with demonstrable evidence; smoking and drugs are addictions, not hobbies.

4) You are either confused as to how well you can live quitting your job and living on cash assistance or you have a very poor standard of living. But hey, if you think you can do it. Go ahead, quit your job, live off my taxes and stick it to my sorry patriotic ass!

So far you've claimed that the press is in bed with Obama covering up his poor leadership skills whiles his administration is trying to get more people dependent on the government in order to solidify power over the masses. I think I have everything in there.

You see, the reason you keep yelling things like "conspiracy theory" is because you are either horrible at reading comprehension or just plain stupid. What I wrote was that one of the few entities who respects the president is the press. That was it. You filled in the rest with whatever you're rambling about above. Again, this is not unusual but rather the stereotypical liberal calling card: take a statement, turn it into an extreme statement, and then try to explain to everyone that the person who never said what you made up is somehow an extremist. For added fun you can explain how this made up example of extremism is what's wrong with the GOP and...ummm...JOHN HUNTSMAN!!!

You realize under 5% of the nation's population is receiving welfare benefits, correct?

Gee, that would be a pretty interesting point if (1) the only way the government helps provide for a majority of a person's provisions was through welfare benefits and (2) if my position was that we were already AT a point where a majority of Americans rely on the federal government for most of its provisions (3) it had anything to do with my point.

But other than that, you were spot on!

I think you're letting emotion skew your judgment. I've spent quite a bit of time in these areas, and even have family (by marriage) who are part of the world you describe. They don't have it so great, but their problems are primarily self-imposed. There is undoubtedly an entitlement mindset and a glaring lack of responsibility. The silver spoon Mitt Romney types don't just succeed b/c their parents have money, but because their parents instill them with a decent work ethic. Now we can argue the cultural roots of this entitled mindset and lack of self-motivation, but that doesn't change the fact that all the opportunity in the world means nothing if someone refuses to do what's necessary to take advantage of it.

I used to run a pizza delivery joint in one of these areas. You're not going to start off making big money, but it's a pretty easy path to being an assistant manager, and from there it's pretty easy to spring board into an entry level corporate job where you've got a footing on the ladder and the only real requirement to moving up to a reasonably comfortable level of self-sufficiency is being responsible. I couldn't find people to work. For every good worker I found out of that crowd there were 10 that didn't want to work, wouldn't come to work, and generally took no responsibility. It was foreign to me why someone with nothing but idle time wouldn't want to improve their situation, but that's the way it is. I know this is anecdotal but I've seen this trend consistently over time, across regions, and heard the same thing from virtually any business manager or owner I've ever spoken with on the matter.

Plus, "takers" isn't just reserved to welfare recipients, in the traditional understanding of welfare. Rich farmers get millions in handouts every year. We're told it's somehow in our best interest, as though food would cease to be available otherwise, but the truth is that those subsidies buy a lot of votes. It's the corporations that lobby to have favorable regulations put in place to sifle their competition. It's the people collecting disability checks who aren't legitimately disabled. It's the people who insist on raising someone else's tax while reducing theirs. I even include people who maybe aren't actually taking anything but vote based on what they think the government will give them - how many people thought Obama was going to pay their bills? How many people thought Obama was going to pay for their health insurance?

I think it's undeniable that a growing % of the population votes based on what they think the government is going to give them. I also think you know this.

Certainly not. Because LA's post was utterly ridiculous and untrue. But don't let facts get in the way.

I like you better when you use your regular s/n

I'm aware. It's one of the key elements of my joke.

I actually see the similarities though. I force logic on the libs much the way Ben forces himself on drunk chicks.