You think Spiller is fast?

Though I can't claim to be a skilled analyzer of player skill or abilities....

....it seems to me that Spiller has astonishing acceleration but his top end speed is merely great.

He seems to go from zero to very fast in an instant.....but does not get much faster as he straight-line runs.

Do others see validity in my observations.....or am I mistaken?

No you're 100% correct Spiller gets out of the gate great. Can cut on a dime backtrack then go forward again all while losing while losing very little speed. His ability to make people miss is the greatest thing I've seen since Barry (not saying he's the next Barry just his ability to make people miss) all while losing very little speed. His top end speed while great he's not the fastest guy in the league.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this. Bo was my all time favorite back along with Barry.

IMO he was the most perfect RB of all time. Had the size, strength and power of Jim Brown. The speed and illusiveness that was unmatched by anyone but Barry. Just absolutely amazing to watch.

IMO if he would have committed full time to football and never gotten injured he would have destroyed every single rushing record that ever stood. He would have set the bar so high that it would never be broken.

Man I miss good football like this.

That run against the Seahawks where he went up the sideline blowing by a safety who had a 20 yard headstart and the angle to cut him off is still one of the most unbelievable runs I have ever seen...it looked like the safety was running in concrete shoes compared to Bo...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0FGCuqYGI

Edited by matter2003

Love that this is a Bo Jackson thread. My favorite non-Bill player of all time. The reason I found, and love, SEC football.

For my 11th or 12th birthday I got his book, Bo Knows Bo. Changed my young little life at the time.

this. Bo was my all time favorite back along with Barry.

IMO he was the most perfect RB of all time. Had the size, strength and power of Jim Brown. The speed and illusiveness that was unmatched by anyone but Barry. Just absolutely amazing to watch.

IMO if he would have committed full time to football and never gotten injured he would have destroyed every single rushing record that ever stood. He would have set the bar so high that it would never be broken.

Man I miss good football like this.

Agreed 100%.

Edited by DrDareustein

My favorite Bo Jackson memory was going to see him play baseball against the Cleveland Indians. He was on the White Sox at the time, with big Frank Thomas in his prime.

So my brother Jeff and I go in the stadium early to catch batting practice, and we're right down next to the dugout watching Frank launch some impressive homers, and next up comes Bo Jackson.

We sat there in awe as he crushed what seemed like every single pitch into line drives deep into left field, most of them homers. It was an unbelievable show of strength. In contrast to Frank Thomas' high floating long balls, Bo was just hammering these liners 350 feet and the ball never seemed to go any higher than maybe 40 feet. Even the players on the field doing warmups were just standing there in awe.

Useless baseball fact du jour:

Frank Thomas is the only player in major league history to have seven consecutive seasons of a .300 average and at least 100 walks, 100 runs, 100 runs batted in, and 20 home runs. And the dude hit over 500 homers with no juicing. Married a girl from Pittsford. Yeah I know it's a football thread, sorry boys

Deion was 'fairly' fast as well. The ease with which he catches Don Beebe is pretty amazing...especially since Beebe was already with a good head of steam....and a sub 4.3 guy himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLw3ewIo8Ws

funny how Beebe gets up and looks back to see who the hell just caught him from behind. He's obviously not used to that happening.

Bo ran a 4.1 40 in the combine. For a guy his size its simply amazing. I believe he'd have shattered all records had he not damaged his hip. He was so strong. Thats what did him in. The Bengal got his leg and he pulled to get a way so hard he basically ripped his hip apart.

I'll never forget him running right thru Brian big mouth Bozworth. Bo made Bozz irrelevant in one Monday night game.

He is the most amazing football player I've ever witnessed.......in 45+ years of watching this silly sport.

jb

Maybe cause that wasn't a penalty until 20 years later?

again, the sarcasm font Didnt work there.

Bo ran a 4.1 40 in the combine. For a guy his size its simply amazing. I believe he'd have shattered all records had he not damaged his hip. He was so strong. Thats what did him in. The Bengal got his leg and he pulled to get a way so hard he basically ripped his hip apart.

I'll never forget him running right thru Brian big mouth Bozworth. Bo made Bozz irrelevant in one Monday night game.

He is the most amazing football player I've ever witnessed.......in 45+ years of watching this silly sport.

jb

i only wish I was a little older and more in tune to football when he was playing. I would have loved seeing him play like I see CJ and AP now.

My favorite Bo Jackson memory was going to see him play baseball against the Cleveland Indians. He was on the White Sox at the time, with big Frank Thomas in his prime.

So my brother Jeff and I go in the stadium early to catch batting practice, and we're right down next to the dugout watching Frank launch some impressive homers, and next up comes Bo Jackson.

We sat there in awe as he crushed what seemed like every single pitch into line drives deep into left field, most of them homers. It was an unbelievable show of strength. In contrast to Frank Thomas' high floating long balls, Bo was just hammering these liners 350 feet and the ball never seemed to go any higher than maybe 40 feet. Even the players on the field doing warmups were just standing there in awe.

Useless baseball fact du jour:

Frank Thomas is the only player in major league history to have seven consecutive seasons of a .300 average and at least 100 walks, 100 runs, 100 runs batted in, and 20 home runs. And the dude hit over 500 homers with no juicing. Married a girl from Pittsford. Yeah I know it's a football thread, sorry boys

Can we really say for sure no juicing for anyone? Lots of athletes from the 70's admitted to it after their careers were over, mostly football players. There was nothing done to stop or to test back then, and people really didn't seem to care. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half of non Olympic type athletes juiced before testing was around, and even since was so easy to find stuff that wouldn't show up in a test.

Not that I am implying or have any reason to suspect Thomas did, just that who really knows who did for sure. Only people we know for sure did, are because one supplier turned these people in. Shoot there were people on my High School's football team that took steroids that never got caught even. You know there where other suppliers who came before and during, so only those who got caught we know for sure.

Edited by rstencel

Can we really say for sure no juicing for anyone? Lots of athletes from the 70's admitted to it after their careers were over, mostly football players. There was nothing done to stop or to test back then, and people really didn't seem to care. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half of non Olympic type athletes juiced before testing was around, and even since was so easy to find stuff that wouldn't show up in a test.

Not that I am implying or have any reason to suspect Thomas did, just that who really knows who did for sure. Only people we know for sure did, are because one supplier turned these people in. You know there where other suppliers who came before and during, so only those who got caught we know for sure.

if agree with this.

And Frank Thomas was an absolute monster in a time where's my others werent nearly as large.